speaking of bottom paint, Joe....

Status
Not open for further replies.

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Oh well that's a big deal. Mine is only in the water from May to Nov. Then trailered to storage.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Anyone ever use Fiberglass Bottomkote Classic Boat Paint by Interlux? Hard, Modified Epoxy Anti-fouling Paint...

Whats the advantage to an Ablative type paint? If any?
The ablative's can usually be pulled out of the water, trailered, the put back into the water and they still have anti-fouling properties intact. Also, If you have an ablative on, another ablative can be applied without removing all the old paint. Those were the two reasons I chose Micron CSC. It was my first bottom job and in a couple of years I may have a different opinion.
keith

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Oh well that's a big deal. Mine is only in the water from May to Nov. Then trailered to storage.
George,
What I like about this Super Ship Bottom ablative paint is that it has the primer built right into it. It can be painted over bare fiberglass, or over most bottom paints. It has a high copper content and one coat can get you two to three seasons. The factory is in Fort Myers Fl. Sometimes they can be slow on delivery. I ordered my paint just after Feb 14 and I'm still waiting for it. I expect it any day now. My boat is all ready for it so I hope it gets here soon.
Joe

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Joe that sounds real good with SSB ablative paint but I am worried since you ordered more than a month ago and still not received it. :( I will need it in the next 2-3 weeks as I am launching May 1-2nd weekend.

So besides SSB where can I get something comparative over the counter? Also how many gallons do I need for 2 coats coverage.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe that sounds real good with SSB ablative paint but I am worried since you ordered more than a month ago and still not received it. :( I will need it in the next 2-3 weeks as I am launching May 1-2nd weekend.

So besides SSB where can I get something comparative over the counter? Also how many gallons do I need for 2 coats coverage.
George,
When I ordered the paint I mailed a personal check to them. My friend Wayne used his credit card and he received his paint from SSB last week and we ordered the paint about the same time. I think that you can get away with one gallon of bottom paint for one coat and have some left over. The first time I used SSB paint I gave the hull one coat, the rudder, centerboard, and the inside of the keel slot, two coats and I had enough paint to do a coat around the water line, plus all the leading edges of the keel, rudder, centerboard and Etc. What some guys generally do is paint the hull with for instance a green ablative paint this year. Then two seasons later they'll paint it with a different color like blue. After a period of time the ablative paint begins to wear off as the boat goes through the water, and when you can see traces of the green paint, you know it's time to re-paint the bottom again. I really don't know too much about other paints. I'm relatively new to using bottom paints myself. The SSB including shipping by postal service is about $145 a gallon. If they ship UPS, they tack on another $20 for a hazardous waste handling fee. The key to getting bottom paint to stick to a bare fiberglass hull is to remove all of the mold release wax from the hull. As old as your boat is, it still has the mold wax on it from the factory. You can always call or email SSB and ask them about the shipment time.
http://www.supershipbottom.com/ Check out Defender Marine for their bottom paints. If worst comes to worst, you can always buy it at "Worst Marine." :D Just remember that some bottom paints require a primer coat on bare fiberglass and some don't.
Joe

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
So what your telling me is with SSB you can coat over bare fiberglass? Only asking because I spent this weekend powerwashing and sanding off the old paint to the gelcoat. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'd like to get it within the next 2 weeks as I would like to launch in early May.

Other wise whats another paint by west marine that I can buy over the counter that allows me to get away from primer or some other barrier coat.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
George,
Please do yourself a favor and get one of those canister type respirators that they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $30. The dust from that stuff is carcinogenic and the fumes from the paint is highly toxic.

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
LoL good thing the powerwasher took care of most of it. Yeah that's why I didn't do much. Only did what I could get at arms length. I didn't want to get under it with out "dressing" up.

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Whoohoo put my order in. Gallon of the blue stuff at SSB! Now time for some buffing and getting the topsides in order!

Oct 2, 2008
Whoohoo put my order in. Gallon of the blue stuff at SSB! Now time for some buffing and getting the topsides in order!
excellent! check out mainesail's recent thread on buffing, and restoring gelcoat to its better than original gloss...."tips for a great buff"

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I like SSB paint George but I'm very disappointed that they haven't shipped it out to me as of yet. Right now they're holding me up. If you paid by credit card you'll probably get it quicker. I think that this is the last time I'm going to buy paint off them. I wish you luck!
Joe

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Well they said 7-10 days. Better not be more than 10 days else its gonna mess with my May 1st launch timeline. Well they indicate they make weekly batches so maybe they didn't get to your color yet?

WOW, spent 6 hours on only one topside of the boat. Good thing this is only at 22 footer. Yeah went crazy with my dual action porter cable I use for my cars but used a wool pad and collinites marine cleaner. But it did take care of a good 20 years of oxidation and grime buildup. Although its only 90% there in regards to polish. I will either step it up with a mild aggressive foam pad or maybe an automotive polish. I have collinites marine wax that I want to end the task.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Well they said 7-10 days. Better not be more than 10 days else its gonna mess with my May 1st launch timeline. Well they indicate they make weekly batches so maybe they didn't get to your color yet?

WOW, spent 6 hours on only one topside of the boat. Good thing this is only at 22 footer. Yeah went crazy with my dual action porter cable I use for my cars but used a wool pad and collinites marine cleaner. But it did take care of a good 20 years of oxidation and grime buildup. Although its only 90% there in regards to polish. I will either step it up with a mild aggressive foam pad or maybe an automotive polish. I have collinites marine wax that I want to end the task.
I ordered my paint back on Feb. 25. They should have had plenty of time to get my paint to me. I've heard about how they manufacture their paint, but this is ridicules. I just emailed their secretary and she said that they were going to ship it out this week by UPS and I should get it by early next week. I think that these people and I are going to part company. They are totally irresponsible. It's the best bottom paint that I've ever used, but who needs this kind of aggravation?

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
I wore a chemical rated canister respirator and still had to stop frequently because even with it drawn tightly some of that nasty paint could find it's way where the nose meets the cheek bone. That truly is some of the nastiest sanding I have done.

Oct 2, 2008
hey recess, i thought you painted your boat red? or am i confusing you with someone else?

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
It is red with black bottom paint. That is one of the before pictures when it was white with blue.

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
She's looking good. This is after one coat of SSB ablative paint. I purchased a gallon of blue. I still have a little more than a half gallon left. I am tempted to put another coat on it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.