speaking of bottom paint, Joe....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
The thread on a replacing a propeller ended up with joe mentioning bottom paint.
Regarding that, i ordered a gallon and a quart of bottom paint for my girl last week. I have the lift scheduled for the last week of march at the sail club.
I have bottomkote ACT on at this time. I am going to overcoat it with interlux micron CSC. If i read all the literature correctely, i can overcoat with just a good scrubing. Also this paint lets me pull the boat out of the water, and when i put it back in it will still work.

Do i have my facts straight?

Do I have enough paint?

Does Ed have to pull up my old post to give me grief (see the sanding question)

Thanks
keith

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
Sounds right.

I use Petit Ultima SR and use a gallon to do mine. I am due to do it this spring, and will pick up my paint at Defender Warehouse Sale the end of March.

So Kieth, I know you were just North, but you gonna make it back up for the rOnDAYvous?

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
The thread on a replacing a propeller ended up with joe mentioning bottom paint.
Regarding that, i ordered a gallon and a quart of bottom paint for my girl last week. I have the lift scheduled for the last week of march at the sail club.
I have bottomkote ACT on at this time. I am going to overcoat it with interlux micron CSC. If i read all the literature correctely, i can overcoat with just a good scrubing. Also this paint lets me pull the boat out of the water, and when i put it back in it will still work.

Do I have enough paint?

Thanks
keith
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith,

You sure like to spend $$$. You pick interlux micron CSC the highest $$$ product out there.

It is an oft recommended product because they pay their sales reps very high commissions. It is a good product, but high dollar.

The Petit line that Appleman uses is highly recommend by several boat manufactures. Also high dollar but good reputation.

Then there are several smaller paint manufacturers. First the guy who designed the Interlux bottom paints, selling the plant and some rights to the product to interlux:

http://www.bluewatermarinepaint.com/

Here you find an equivalent product at less cost.

Then there is the product developed in a garage:

http://www.supershipbottom.com/colors.htm

If you order from shipbottom, it is a must to tell them to ship the can upright the first time.

And if you are into making your own:

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

Here is a special paint for Keith, so he can find his boat after the Rum at his sail club:

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

Ed K

Attachments

Shell

Sep 26, 2007
Catalina 30 standard JC/NYC
Remember, Almost all bottom paint is highly toxic. Be careful.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.

Do I have enough paint?

Thanks
keith
Hi Keith,
I really have no idea about that particular bottom paint. I've been using Super Ship Bottom Ablative paint on mine and I think that's pretty much what I'll have to do on my hull. Right now, my hull is pretty dirty and I'll have to clean it some how. I don't want to scrub it so hard that the existing bottom paint will come off, but I want the new stuff to stick. I just ordered my paint last week. I have to tell George my mailman, to be very careful when he handles that paint. If it ever opened up in his mail truck, the fumes from that stuff would probably kill him. I'm fairly new when it comes to bottom paints. I know that the SSB has a high copper content and at $149.95 a gallon including shipping, it better be good.
I think that Ed or someone else has pulled up a couple of my old posts too, so you're not alone.
Ahoy!
Joe

Oct 21, 2005
The last time I bought Ultima SR from the Defender Sale it was $140.00 per Gallon. Fortunately I live near.

Oct 2, 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith,

You sure like to spend $$$. You pick interlux micron CSC the highest $$$ product out there.

It is an oft recommended product because they pay their sales reps very high commissions. It is a good product, but high dollar.

The Petit line that Appleman uses is highly recommend by several boat manufactures. Also high dollar but good reputation.

Then there are several smaller paint manufacturers. First the guy who designed the Interlux bottom paints, selling the plant and some rights to the product to interlux:

http://www.bluewatermarinepaint.com/

Here you find an equivalent product at less cost.

Then there is the product developed in a garage:

http://www.supershipbottom.com/colors.htm

If you order from shipbottom, it is a must to tell them to ship the can upright the first time.

And if you are into making your own:

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

Here is a special paint for Keith, so he can find his boat after the Rum at his sail club:

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

Ed K
Thanks Ed, Appleman, and Shell. Ed those are great links. I wish i would have shopped around a little. I Ordered from Jamestown because I needed some hardware items too and they had this paint on sale but still danged expensive. I will, at a later time go over those web sites in detail. I know they will be very helpful. Also I have no qualms about making my own. or saving a few bucks.

Rick, Re: the rOnDAYvu I am not sure, it will come down to the almighty dollar. But it would be great to get up there. I could visit taylor and then come to the gathering. I am sure i will not be able to bring my boat unless i win a lottery or something, and i don't even play the lottery!

I will be out of sorts for a few days. I am taking Daniel to Atlanta today to the MEPS station. He ships out for AF basic training tomorrow. So he spends tonight at the luxurious doubletree inn in downtown Atlanta GA. I know he will be ok: but he is my youngest child, my best friend (save his mom) and I am going to miss him terribly........

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
sorry to have to ask a question that is surely already addressed, but i did a search and got so many hits, but still did not find the answer...
What is the best way to apply my ablative bottom paint. I Am thinking that, after cleaning as directed, i will apply the paint with my power roller where i can, and a small roller and or brush where i cannot. Have any of you guys used a power roller? If not what do you use?
keith

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
sorry to have to ask a question that is surely already addressed, but i did a search and got so many hits, but still did not find the answer...
What is the best way to apply my ablative bottom paint. I Am thinking that, after cleaning as directed, i will apply the paint with my power roller where i can, and a small roller and or brush where i cannot. Have any of you guys used a power roller? If not what do you use?
keith
Keith asked, "Have any of you guys used a power roller?"

No experience with a power roller.

I have used brush, regular sized roller and the more recent vintage thin rollers with very short nap. The thin rollers with very shop nap seemed to have worked the best.

You can get a bag full of the rollers and roller handles invarious lengths. The long handled rollers worked well for reaching across the bottom.

Does anybody have experience with this stuff?
http://www.coppercoatusa.com/Home.html

Ed K

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Keith,
I haven't received my Super Ship Bottom Ablative paint yet but I have my boat up high on stands and I'm trying to clean the dirt off the bottom with one of those hard sponges along with soap and water. My friend Wayne likes to apply an 80 grit sand paper to his hull before he paints it with SSB. I don't think that I'm even going to do that, myself. I've never used a power roller. I just use a regular roller and refill for that type of paint on a long stick. The first time I bottom painted my boat with ablative paint, I did it after the boating season in the fall and it worked out OK. I use a paint stirrer that goes on an electric drill to mix it good. I'm not much of an authority on bottom painting. The SSB site has a lot of info on that subject. I think that doing the actual bottom painting is a lot easier than doing the prep work. Good luck!
Joe

Oct 2, 2008
Keith asked, "Have any of you guys used a power roller?"

No experience with a power roller.

I have used brush, regular sized roller and the more recent vintage thin rollers with very short nap. The thin rollers with very shop nap seemed to have worked the best.

You can get a bag full of the rollers and roller handles invarious lengths. The long handled rollers worked well for reaching across the bottom.

Does anybody have experience with this stuff?
http://www.coppercoatusa.com/Home.html

Ed K
thanks ed, also, i guess my power roller is only for water based paint, so prob should use the pan-load rollers. thanks for the advice on the thin nap. i will get those. i hope to get to haul to the lake tonight (trailer prep and cargo load goes well) or tomorrow (prep goes awry)
keith

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Keith, remember to paint ...

thanks ed, also, i guess my power roller is only for water based paint, so prob should use the pan-load rollers. thanks for the advice on the thin nap. i will get those. i hope to get to haul to the lake tonight (trailer prep and cargo load goes well) or tomorrow (prep goes awry)
keith
Keith,

Remember to paint the inside of the centerboard trunk and the centerboard.

The rollers are the ones about 1" thick.

You will need a short extention to reach the top of the well and a face shield.

I understand the Obamacare bill has left out paying Physicians Assistants. Too Bad.

Ed K

Attachments

Oct 21, 2005
I just got back from Defender, where I picked up my bottom paint and roller covers. I got the same cover I have used before, which was recommended by the Petit rep. It has a 3/16th nap and is a mohair blend. It has worked very well on the previous applications. I use a very course scotch bright pad on a dry wall sanding frame and handle, with a hose. (Scrub it wet) I am fortunate enough to have a 3000 lb power washer to rinse it off.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Keith,

Remember to paint the inside of the centerboard trunk and the centerboard.

The rollers are the ones about 1" thick.

You will need a short extention to reach the top of the well and a face shield.

I understand the Obamacare bill has left out paying Physicians Assistants. Too Bad.

Ed K
The VP was wrong when he whispered "This is a big f---n deal" to Barry. It's a big f---n. :cussing:

Oct 2, 2008
I'm not afraid of a little healh insurance reform, but that is just my opinion.

I was able to get my little boat competed this weekend, I have the bottom painted and the mast seated and the running rigging too. I was not able to launch as I ran out of time, but intend to do that this friday. I have my slip reserved. All went pretty well.

I was surprised with a new crack in the hull about midships just lateral to the starboard locker wall. It appeared to be new, and i suspect it had to do with the way I was loaded on the trailer. I will post a picture of it this week sometime. I was able to grind it out and repair it. Then painted over the entire bottom with Micron CSC.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I was able to clean up in the trunk well with a long skinny brush that you use to clean off refrigerator coils. After scrubbing out the dirt i wrapped a rag around that and soaked it with acetone to clean in there, Then i was able to paint. I used a gallon and a quart to put about one coat all over, then was able to recoat the leading edges and water lines. If I had it to do over i would have used two gallons and laid it on thicker. Overall though I am very pleased. All I did to the preexisting ACT was scrub with a pad, then powerwash. I Prewashed also. Then let it dry. Seemed to do well.

One funny note, After getting the mast up and the rigging finished I climbed back into my truck to go home. Guess what was sitting in my passenger seat so I wouldn't forget? My wind gauge for the top of the mast!

Oh well. Guess I need to learn how to go up my mast anyway.....

Keith

Oct 2, 2008
yeah, i think a pre-mast raising checklist should contain a reminder to "don't leave off the wind gauge stupid!"

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Keith,
West Marine's ablative is made by Pettit and I stopped using the expensive stuff cause I was hauling every year and for 100+ on sale it does a great job and comes out every fall pretty clean, I use a standard roller for 90% of my bottom and a brush for the rest and if you look in Home Depot they have these real skinny rollers about 1 inch in diameter as someone else mentions and it works great to get up inside the keel trunk also another trick I've discovered for prepping the bottom is to use a sanding pole (like the kind for sanding spackle) also I use a gallon and 1 quart on my 32

Attachments

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Anyone ever use Fiberglass Bottomkote Classic Boat Paint by Interlux? Hard, Modified Epoxy Anti-fouling Paint...

Whats the advantage to an Ablative type paint? If any?

Oct 21, 2005
Not familiar with it, but many hard coat paints can only be launched once. If the boat comes back out of the water for any length of time, the paint looses it anti fouling ability. Most ablative paints can be launched and retrieved as often as you like. Read the label or check with Interlux.

Status
Not open for further replies.