South Coast 22

Aug 24, 2019
Looking 14' to 22' Lake Manitoba
it doesnt look like it has one. which is wierd. should it have one?

Aug 24, 2019
jack and block the keel in place and pull the bolt and see what is going on with it. If it wasn't single digits and lower the next couple days, I would study mine better. If you need pics or comparisons, I can go off mine. There is also an owner's group that might be useful.

Let us know what you find. These are fun little boats.

id like to see what it should look like. a pic of your setup would be beneficial to me if you have one.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Well if the keel has a hole in it that is not being used... and the hole is up near the pivot pin area... that was probably for your lockdown pin... and maybe someone glassed over the hole because they were not using it. If you don't see something like that, then you don't have one.

It is a safety thing. On my Mac 22 I had one but I only ever inserted the pin if I sat a T-storm coming and I knew I could not get back to shore in time. Supposedly, the keel could come crashing through into the trunk if the boat got in a bad knock down... but to be fair, I have never hear of that happening to anyone in all my 41 years of sailing. Everything one does is risk/benefit analysis...

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I looked in my trunk from the underside and cannot tell if the keel pivot bolt is SS or not. My lock bolt goes through the keel. The hole lines up when you winch it up a couple clicks past full down, basically just enough to take the slack out of the cable, bolt goes through, then I slack the cable so it doesn't make the whole boat hum.

The sides of the trunk are plywood cored. knock on them with a hammer. they should sound solid, not a dull hollow thud.

by observing the water line, my lock whole sits about 6" above the water and the pivot would be right above the waterline.

If I take it off the trailer this spring, I will lower the keel while the boat is on blocks so we can all look at it better.

If you have any other questions, or need to see anything else on my boat, feel free to ask.

These are fun little boats, but build quality and quality of materials are very lacking. Some where even kit built.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Southcoast 22 was my first boat. Bought a hurricane wreck and tried to repair and restore it. Learned a lot, especially how not to do things.
SOUTHCOAST22 (2).jpg

Aug 10, 2020
great picture! I would love to have the proper sails. My main is a bit short in the luff. The jib is correct I think, just small.

Mine is set up with winches and genoa tracks, but I don't have the genoa. Yours has grab rails toe rails, mine doesn't.

I just bought new turnbuckles for my rig. It goes under the knife when this snow melts. Time for some new plywood bulkheads and a couple stringers to stiffen her up and for piece of mind. Hopefully stiffened back up and being able to tune the rig properly, she will sail a little better. she's got some heavy helm and wants to run in the wind rather than turn into it. I think the mast needs raked back a bit.

Aug 24, 2019
excellent you guys. now i cant wait for summer so i can work on the boat. i bought it in october so i havent had a chance to put it in the water even. this my boat. i do think the pin is ss. there are 2 collars on it that look like they may be mild steel. i have to put it on blocks or in the water and drop the keel to really know what the issue is.
Screenshot_20200927-195131.png

Aug 10, 2020
excellent you guys. now i cant wait for summer so i can work on the boat. i bought it in october so i havent had a chance to put it in the water even. this my boat. i do think the pin is ss. there are 2 collars on it that look like they may be mild steel. i have to put it on blocks or in the water and drop the keel to really know what the issue is. View attachment 190545
sharp boat. if you have any questions about rigging it, feel free to ask.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Be very careful if droppping the swing keel beneath the boat. Suggest you have a jig or something to keep it up as if it should slip, anything can happen like a friend of mine fractured his leg while trying to remove a swing keel from a MACGREGOR 25 by himself. Have a second person as well assisting you for safety.. My second boat was a SC 22 as well. It made more aware when I became a sailboat dealer.

Aug 24, 2019
thanks for the heads up. ive never done it. but have you tubed a catalina keel drop. i believe the sc22 has a 500lb keel. HEAVY. lol Safety 1st for sure.