Sources for Lister Petter Diesel Parts in Pacific Northwest?

Jul 1, 2024
Pearson Pearson 36 Retreat Cove, Galliano
Recently discovered water in the oil in my Lister Petter Alpha 30 LPWS3. They aren't very common in my area. Looking for a running replacement or one that can be used for parts, or just a source for parts generally.

The engine has been pulled out to work on, so I am also interested in what takes to install a different engine in. My friend I own the boat with is reluctant to go this path as he sees it to be a big job re-aligning the prop and getting a different engine mounted in. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has gone that route and what the cost/effort was outside of the engine itself. It's a Pearson 36 sailboat.

Thanks!

Joel

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Here are a few of the dreaded events. Exhaust routing- maybe on the other side of the boat. Do the water lift, battery, aux. pumps. etc. locations interfere with the new motor length/breadth and placement. Does the motor compartment accommodate new height/breadth. Location of new motor mounts, precision necessary on this one. Will the new motor/marine gear (in place) require shaft lengthening/shortening? Does he power/rotation of the new require a different prop? Will new motor mount brackets need to be made to accommodate shaft alignment in the x axis. Then there are instrument sender feeds, fuel feeds, DC cables lengths. Just samples.

Better you rebuild/recondition the existing. Just about any motor shop can do it and it is a whole lot less money and time.

ps There is facility in Delta - Industrial Engines? Bet they would give you a steer to a shop.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2024
Pearson Pearson 36 Retreat Cove, Galliano
Thanks Charles!

Appreciate the insights as to the challenges replacing with a different motor. We definitely would prefer to recondition the existing motor. It's in rough shape though. I've reached out to Industrial, hopefully they can help us out. I'm actually going to the UK for a bit where Lister Petter are far more common, but I suspect it isn't cost effective to ship parts/engine back here heh!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Joe to the forum.
I just survived such an adventure. I recorded much of the fun here.
And here

I had an advantage over your challenge. My Perkins 4.107 had a large production and was popular worldwide by the British manufacturer. Many of the parts were sourced in Britain. So parts access was a minor problem. Charles has identified many of the sticky issues that require careful consideration and engineering knowledge to put a new engine in a boat. Tread carefully.

In the out of the box thinking world, there is now the consideration of an “electric motor“.
Not saying the cost is affordable or that it would be simple, but if you are looking it might be an appropriate approach. :biggrin:

Good luck. I’d be pleased to help where I can if you have questions. Since you are heading to Britain I would definitely seek out the companies ideas. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers:beer: mate.