Sources for Douka (Makore) Wood?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Looking for a source to get some Douka (Makore/African Mahogony). That is the wood that was used on the interior of my B310. Need a half inch thick panel about 24X24 and a board 1.75 X .5 X 72-80. Have located one source (Advantage Lumber) but they seem pretty expensive. May just be the nature of the beast but I'd like to get some other quotes if I can find other sources.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
In the Annapolis suburbs, Exoticlumber.com is the place to go. This is the kind of place where they actually slice the trees. Also in Frederick, MD. They have prices online so you can compare to other suppliers.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Racer,
If you don't mind me asking, what are you building or refurbishing?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
For something like that, in small quantities, I first check the local millwork shops for drops. They'll have a scrap rack and often charge a nominal (cost, their b.f. price) It is often already planned on one or two sides. African mahogany is pretty hard to find, most of out will be sapele. For looks, it's hard to tell the difference unless they are side-by-side. Sapele is very reasonable in price. I compared it to oak from Lowes. Lowes way over charges for their hard wood. My kayak trailer rack is sapele instead of oak from Lowes.
- Will (Dragonfly)

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
One of the guys on this forum built a wood cover for his stove. I liked it and am going to build one. At present, we keep a cutting board on top of the stove but it has no edges to keep it from sliding off. So, if we happen to forget to secure it before going sailing, it becomes a projectile and because it has no edges, anything laying on it will wind up on the floor. Want the wood to match the OEM wood in the boat which was Douka.

Link to other thread: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/first-project-complete.188772/#post-1415642

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Lisa did a great job on his top. I assume you are very experienced with woodworking but, I'm going to offer some thoughts on your project anyhow. Wide boards, especially in exotic woods cost a premium. Smaller planks that you glue up are not only cheaper but more stable as well. Plywood is the most stable but that doesn't sound like it would satisfy you for this project. It wouldn't double as a cutting board.
Definitely frame the board for both stability and keeping objects from sliding off. If you are looking for a really elegant piece and you have the equipment, buy a thicker piece, 6/4" in thickness and 12" to 13" wide, depending on how big you really need it to be (you'll lose at least 1/2" in planing and joining) and resaw to get your two halves. Then, you can open the two boards like a book and get mirrored image of the grain (it's called book matched grain, if you don't have interesting grain character, its not worth it). A large diameter table saw and good hand saw would do it. It's good to have a planer but a hand plane will work. Just a lot of work.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes out. You can also inlay or burn a cool image into the top. I get paid a lot of money for that kind of stuff. Really adds value to the work and wood burning isn't that hard to learn.
- Will (Dragonfly)

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Good thought on the book match. Hadn't considered that. Yes, the planks will be joined and glued to get the necessary width needed for the top. Have a friend that builds cabinets and has the needed power tools so will be working with him to do the dirty work. Thanks for the input.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I use a (nylon?) cutting board that covers the top of my Force Ten 2-burner. I drilled 2 holes in the board (the one with the gutter around it). I drilled the back metal stove bracket that I put two bolts through to place the board holes onto. I tell crew it is a SHELF, not a cutting board.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have two beneteau doors that are douka; however, they are highly finished. Definitely not suitable for a cutting board!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Yes, I intend it to be a cover not a cutting board.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yes, I intend it to be a cover not a cutting board.
Pricing marine plywood in New England, mahogany plywood goes for around $225 for 1/2". You would need about an 1/8th of a sheet, 24" x 24" you probably can't buy it at that size for that price. However, if you are not going to be working on top of your cover, just putting plates and glasses on it, plywood is the best way to go. Unless, you want the grain pattern of flat sawn or quarter sawn wood. Plywood can also be purchased with a quarter sawn grain (then you are looking at more money. Also finding it would likely include shipping costs). I guest, with price and ease of acquisition as factors, solid wood is still the best bet.
- Will (Dragonfly)