First project complete

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Made a stove topper to add a bit more counter space. I’m sure there are a few available options for this, but this one has a little bit of story.

I have a tree service business and this oak tree was a removal job this summer. I also have a portable sawmill which I used to make the tree into boards. Then a friend dried the boards in his solar kiln and then I built the topper. From tree to boat...

Had a great sail on Saturday, but those days are quickly coming to an end. Soon time to shift to winter projects.

I noticed the through hull valve for the wash down pump has a leak, more like a seep, but either way there is some water coming in there. Are these valves rebuildable or just replace it?

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How fulfilling to have that top yours from tree to counter top. Excellent work too. The grain is beautiful. I like the classic look of face sawn boards and your raised edges will keep it from cupping. Very nice work.

How much is a replacement valve? What does it take to replace vs repair? I don't know the valve you are referring too but often valves just need tightening of a nut on the handle. Sorry I can't be more help than to talk about stuff you've probably already investigated. Love the whole concept of the counter though.

I've been a woodworker for over 30 years, I live in the woods but I have never had the opportunity to take a project from tree to finished product. I'm a little jealous.
Thanks for the picture.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Looks great especially with the fiddles to keep things from sliding!
Did you use a polyurethane finish?
What brand of Microwave did you get?
Ours is original and at some point she will die..
But we would want to replace it to fit in the same spot.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Looks great especially with the fiddles to keep things from sliding!
Did you use a polyurethane finish?
What brand of Microwave did you get?
Ours is original and at some point she will die..
But we would want to replace it to fit in the same spot.
Yes spray poly. Not sure of the microwave brand, we just got the boat and it was on the boat. Funny thing is, when we were boat shopping we kinda thought a microwave was a waste of space. We've already used it a few times, and kinda like it. We are the second owners, so Id guess it was original...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Beautiful wood work, but egaaads! A microwave on a 31-ft sailboat:yikes:!! Please don't tell me; a Honda 2000 portable generator too?:pray:

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Beautiful wood work, but egaaads! A microwave on a 31-ft sailboat:yikes:!!
The microwave was an option on the C310, although the one in the photo has clearly been upgraded from the very basic model. Of course, without an inverter I can only run mine when I am connected to shore power. Which is rare.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I noticed the through hull valve for the wash down pump has a leak, more like a seep, but either way there is some water coming in there. Are these valves rebuildable or just replace it?

Thanks, Mike
Mike, I don't think a wash down pump was original equipment, so it might have been added by a PO (previous owner). If the thru hull is the same as the others on the boat this note from Forespar describes how to overhaul the valve. It can be done in the water, but it's easier out. I contacted Forespar tech support by email and they sent me several rebuild kits for free. I've never seen them for sale anywhere.

Attachments

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Beautiful wood work, but egaaads! A microwave on a 31-ft sailboat:yikes:!! Please don't tell me; a Honda 2000 portable generator too?:pray:

No generator, and none planned. We like the piece and quiet of sailing and anchoring. We get pretty annoyed when power boaters comes in, set up and fire up a generator. We will never be one of those people. But the PO did say there is an inverter that will run the microwave. Have not played with that yet. We have only used it on shore power. We mainly use the outdoor grill on outings. But we did have a nice breakfast utilizing the two burners on the stove and the oven. This is a new feature as well and we like that even better than the microwave.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Mike, I don't think a wash down pump was original equipment, so it might have been added by a PO (previous owner). If the thru hull is the same as the others on the boat this note from Forespar describes how to overhaul the valve. It can be done in the water, but it's easier out. I contacted Forespar tech support by email and they sent me several rebuild kits for free. I've never seen them for sale anywhere.
It looks the same as the rest, so that will surely be helpful. Thanks

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
When we first got our Catalina 25 with the Non pressure alcohol stove-wife said-not using it!..
She ended up really enjoying that.
We got the 310 with the microwave-Wife said-not using it-ended up doing so along with the propane stove-Wife now cooks up a storm for us and guests...!
Does not seem very "Nautical" BUT.... Works well :biggrin:

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
When we first got our Catalina 25 with the Non pressure alcohol stove-wife said-not using it!..
She ended up really enjoying that.
We got the 310 with the microwave-Wife said-not using it-ended up doing so along with the propane stove-Wife now cooks up a storm for us and guests...!
Does not seem very "Nautical" BUT.... Works well :biggrin:
Our Cat 27 had poorly set up camp stove. I removed it and made a nice two drawer cabinet to fill the space. So we didn't even have a stove, we would do light cooking on a small butane backpacking stove. So we got quite an upgrade with the 310. I'm with you and I think I am going to be eating good next season.

Mike

Attachments