Sound advice for guests

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
These boots have been on my boat. :)

This is my little town on a typical day.
View attachment 162072
So @TomY, this photo needs a little ‘splaining. Not your typical pro-photog self explanatory work of art...but close with all the green semi-clad gingers. I’ve seen a few groups like this during Happy Hour at Rollie’s.

Is it a scene from Cowboys and Little Green Aliens from Belfast? What’s with the sod clumps?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
tally ho, wood boat etiquette is all but lost. open pore teak decks and cockpit seats are very comfortable and offer nice traction. many coat the wood with protective sealers and such, i do not, because then it becomes something else. as a gaurdian of such decks for 45 years now i can teach you that one large potatoe chip's oil can leave a dark oil stain for ten years. you never want to scrub the teak hard at all, ever. allot of crackers too have lots of oil, not good. i hate spray sun tan stuff. the staining to the decks are unreal.
also, wood boat etiquette is that take your shoes off to board the boat then you put your boat only deck shoes on. the souls of boat shoe pick up fine gravel that will destroy the varnished teak and holly floor boards down below. same results if the wood vessel has a canvas covered deck. no street worn shoes ever, ever. well, there are exceptions ........ :)
fifty years ago, all the boats were made this way,
times change , ediquette's needs change.
Ok. I don’t have teak decks or cockpit seats. So I will give you the benefit if the doubt.

While I like the way teak looks (if maintained), I cannot believe any boat designer thought it was a good idea to put hundreds, if not thousands of perforations in the deck...so I would never want a teak deck.

No chips for you!

Greg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
battle ships had teak decks, just saying :)

my favorite is BB64

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I have some boat shoes purchased from Timberland that are really comfortable. The soles retain their gripping characteristics for a couple of years, but after that not so much. The uppers last forever. Too bad there doesn’t seem to be any source for re-soling.
Now, that particular shoe is discontinued and the replacement is not nearly as good.
I bought a pair of NewBalance (I guess you could call them walking shoes) with a mesh upper. Good grip on deck and the don’t leave marks. Ok in cool weather, not so in warm weather.
I liked my Timberland boat shoes too. After 15 years, (mostly in the closet) the soles started crumbling in little pieces. My son bought me the Sperry’s. So far after 5 years, no complaints but I don’t inspect the bottoms often.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You will notice, no one in that video "rocks the Crocs". :poke:
You think if it were made today, it would be different?
To rock the Crocs, it's all about the socks, as rgranger demonstrates.

-Will (Dragonfly)