Sound advice for guests

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
On number 7- I once ordered the wife of a friend below decks and told her to STAY there. We were beating out a narrow channel, with rocks on both sides and she insisted I work some problem out that she had. After the third time I told her Not right now, I told her to get below. Her husband said not a word.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Food. Somewhat common not to bring anything food or drink. If they show up empty, they don’t get invited back. Wine, if a red or rose shows up, I make it clear it is only drank (and poured) on the dock!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Our friend's wife was "That Gal". The Admiral went below to find her putting nail polish on her toes, with the open bottle of polish on the saloon table, while we were under way. In true Admiral fashion, she ordered That Gal to put the polish away, and don't even think about putting her high heels back on!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
A friend told me about a guest that didn't get invited back: She wore heels, brought hard sided luggage, used all the water at shower time (ignored the briefing), chewed gum and dropped it out the open port at night (slight problem -- it ended up sitting on the deck).

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Bringing a little food is OK. What about the guest that overwhelms the fridge and cabinet space with all the "Necessities" for a weekend. After a period of boat ownership and guests my wife and I adopted the adage "Six for cocktails, four for dinner and two to sleep over."

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The real problems ste the fingers that shove said Cheetos into their yappers.
Ok real small dinghy. Then they can dangle their fingers in the water after each morsel. Kind of an eat and clean as you go.
Once finished the Skipper can decide if the guest is ready to come aboard.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Y’all are tough hosts. I invite people I want to be with. And I NEVER expect them to act any way other than what brought us together as friends.
I'm not picky about the Hunter but I am with my Supra wakeboard boat. Spray suncreen is almost as bad as Cheetos.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Food. Somewhat common not to bring anything food or drink. If they show up empty, they don’t get invited back. Wine, if a red or rose shows up, I make it clear it is only drank (and poured) on the dock!
Maybe is a French thing, but any spilled red wine on the gelcoat of any Beneteau I’ve owned bleaches totally out in 3-4 days of good sun. We had a friend over for a moonlight cruise and she got ‘spilly’. The next morning the boat looked like a crime scene. 3 days later, perfect.

So we’re good with red wine.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Maybe is a French thing, but any spilled red wine on the gelcoat of any Beneteau I’ve owned bleaches totally out in 3-4 days of good sun. We had a friend over for a moonlight cruise and she got ‘spilly’. The next morning the boat looked like a crime scene. 3 days later, perfect.

So we’re good with red wine.
@Jackdaw So what I heard you say is that if I want to be a wine-o, I need a Beneteau. I hear a jingle in the making...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Jackdaw So what I heard you say is that if I want to be a wine-o, I need a Beneteau. I hear a jingle in the making...
That might be. Beyond the cabernet-resistant gelcoat, the suckers have built-in wine racks everywhere.