Sound advice for guests

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
60 comments about a story in Town and freaking Country magazine? Bunch of soft-hand snoots and not a thing about being properly shod! Other than that, easy with the food and booze until we determine whether you’ll be spewing it all over the side.

Oct 10, 2013
Beneteau 343 San Diego
Food. Somewhat common not to bring anything food or drink. If they show up empty, they don’t get invited back. Wine, if a red or rose shows up, I make it clear it is only drank (and poured) on the dock!
I personally only drink red wine, and I encourage guests to bring it. Yes, there have been occasional spills, but never permanent stains. Wine Away works wonders, and whatever residual might be left will disappear with sunlight.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Have you seen what a pack of teenagers can do with a Costco size bag of Cheetos?
I cannot recall anyone ever bringing Cheetos or generic equivalents ever on my boat. Now you’ve jinxed me and I’ll probably be cleaning Cheeto skid marks all summer...

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
tally ho, wood boat etiquette is all but lost. open pore teak decks and cockpit seats are very comfortable and offer nice traction. many coat the wood with protective sealers and such, i do not, because then it becomes something else. as a gaurdian of such decks for 45 years now i can teach you that one large potatoe chip's oil can leave a dark oil stain for ten years. you never want to scrub the teak hard at all, ever. allot of crackers too have lots of oil, not good. i hate spray sun tan stuff. the staining to the decks are unreal.
also, wood boat etiquette is that take your shoes off to board the boat then you put your boat only deck shoes on. the souls of boat shoe pick up fine gravel that will destroy the varnished teak and holly floor boards down below. same results if the wood vessel has a canvas covered deck. no street worn shoes ever, ever. well, there are exceptions ........ :)
fifty years ago, all the boats were made this way,
times change , ediquette's needs change.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Half joking, but I think I'd rather have the teenagers with Cheetos on my boat than a group of people wearing those. I'm sure they perform great, but I go on the boat to be away from work, not feel like I'm sitting at a meeting in business dress.
Few folks would likely buy such shoes.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The ultimate boat shoe will have five properties...
1) They protect your feet
2) They float when they fall overboard
3) They are comfortable and light as air
4) They make your kids embarrassed to be seen with you :biggrin:
5) ... mortified if you also wear socks ...;)

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
Love them!!!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've been following this thread from the beginning and have had nothing worth adding :)yikes: WHAT? YOU? RESTRAINED? NOOOo!). I'm with Kermit
Y’all are tough hosts. I invite people I want to be with. And I NEVER expect them to act any way other than what brought us together as friends.
:clap:

I love looking at beautiful, well kept boats. There's little more beautiful, in fact. I'm so glad there are people who attend to the details of bright work and topsides and clean cushions. I would love to be one of those people, but I grew up around working boats. My first paying job was scrubbing squid guts off decks, bullworks, railings, cabin walls with bleach mixed in a 5 gallon bucket (if those of us employed in the commercial fishing business of Florida, weren't wearing those old canvas topped Sperry boatshoes, for $12, we were barefoot. Our red or blue shoes bleached white). I'm never going to be the guy whose boat pops and glitters and rests gorgeously in a divan of a slip while marina strollers gawk and "EWOO!" dreamily at my boat. I'm not that into maintenance. I love the beauty of sailing. Come along, we'll have fun, maybe even enjoy a good conversation.

And Tom, if that's a typical day in your small town, why ever do you get on your boat?;)

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Interesting. Sorry for the thread hijack but do you get more than a few months out of them before the soles dry out and turn super slick? That's the problem I've had with all the lower cost Sperry's. I switched to West Marine Performance mocs and could get at least 2 seasons out of those, but they're discontinued now, so I'm looking for a replacement.
The crepe soles (brown and slightly translucent) do dry out and get slippery, almost glazed. But the grey ones shown in the picture posted by @Jackdaw have lasted me at least three years and still counting. Yes, the tread is worn but the grip of the rubber is still there and only diminished by loss of tread.
I think if everyone who owns boatshoes with glazed soles would send them back to the maker with a complaint, Sperry would figure this out and there would be a quality improvement or phase out of the inferior materials. (BTW I sent some back to Sperry with this issue and they sent new replacements. Not sure if they’d keep doing that but kudos to them for customer service- now I avoid those crepe soles).

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have some boat shoes purchased from Timberland that are really comfortable. The soles retain their gripping characteristics for a couple of years, but after that not so much. The uppers last forever. Too bad there doesn’t seem to be any source for re-soling.
Now, that particular shoe is discontinued and the replacement is not nearly as good.
I bought a pair of NewBalance (I guess you could call them walking shoes) with a mesh upper. Good grip on deck and the don’t leave marks. Ok in cool weather, not so in warm weather.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I personally only drink red wine, and I encourage guests to bring it. Yes, there have been occasional spills, but never permanent stains. Wine Away works wonders, and whatever residual might be left will disappear with sunlight.
Hydrogen peroxide will do the trick also.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Food. Somewhat common not to bring anything food or drink. If they show up empty, they don’t get invited back. Wine, if a red or rose shows up, I make it clear it is only drank (and poured) on the dock!
Well, it looks as though I don’t need to worry about red wine any longer. I just assumed it would stain! Good info to know, thanks all!!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I'll jump in on the sunscreen. One of my crew lathered up and helped me fold the bimini. The Isinglass filler piece had his hand print on it and had to be replaced. Ever since, the rule is to wash hands after any sunscreen application.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I love looking at beautiful, well kept WOMEN. There's little more beautiful, in fact. I'm so glad there are people who attend to the details of bright work and topsides and clean cushions. I would love to be one of those people,
ONE word change and the paragraph has a whole new meaning.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
There is really only (1) guest I can't stand on our boat, they don't bring food, they don't bring drink, they leave sticky stringy stuff all over the place, they crap on the deck, they are really ugly, even the females have hairy legs, they only come out at night and if you are not watching they even bite you, oh and the eyes, so many eyes..........

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
And then there are the owners that obsess over their “resale value” to the point they cannot enjoy the boat and it’s amenities and rarely if ever have guests on board. They have bought a boat to basically maintain it in pristine condition for the person they will eventually sell it to.
A boat that brings joy and good times shared with family and friends will collect a few stains and minor scars that will usually bring a smile when you remember the sail they happened on.
I’ve probably had more guests the last couple years than most other boat owners have had or want. I have been extremely lucky, almost all have been gracious and appreciative. But, one of the highlights of boating for me is taking people out on the bay who have never been sailing.
Once I got the first ding on my boat, I felt relieved. Each scrape and scratch then became a memory of an adventure.
I came across one boat owner who was so anal, he couldn't possibly enjoy actually using the boat. As soon as he docked at the marina I worked at, he started covering every surface of his boat with custom made tan canvas covers. Handrails, cockpit seats, windows and ports, anchors, everything was covered. It looked like the boat was in storage! He was so anal, he threatened to sue the owner of the boat behind him because he was attempting to leave the dock on a windy day, and that boat might scratch his.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
The ultimate boat shoe will have five properties...
1) They protect your feet
2) They float when they fall overboard
3) They are comfortable and light as air
4) They make your kids embarrassed to be seen with you :biggrin:
5) ... mortified if you also wear socks ...;)

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
Big Bird goes sailing?