Somebody's gotta be first

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Half of our marina was torn up and replaced this last year. It was lots of relocation and playing musical slips during the construction. My pier was first to get its occupancy permit and I wasted no time moving back to my brand new old slip. The entire new section is due to open June 15. Work starts on the outer section this fall. Well worth the aggravation.

first in.jpg

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Very nice, a question. What are all the black poles that seem to be sticking up in random locations? Some on docks, some where it looks like the boats should be...
Maybe I need glasses?

Cheers

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I think you are seeing the reflection in the water making them look like they are in the middle of a slip. LOL I think they are called pylon poles but I could be wrong,

Nice marina. Why did you go with two boats per slip instead of single slip?

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Haha, good one Brian, looking on my phone all the time is difficult....but I see it know. Guess this should be included in the 'dumb things I did' post....

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Some poles divide double slips (foreground), some are guides/anchors for the floating docks. Although the tide is typically very slight in Baltimore, surge can be 8 feet or more.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Nice looking construction! From the appearance, they haven't finished setting all of the pilings that will be guides for the docks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice Steve. Congrats on being "FIRST". Bragging rights to the followers...

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Could some of those "poles" be the masts of ships sunk or scuttled during/since the War of 1812?

Baltimore is a wonderful place to visit. Thanks for the update. Are any of those new slips available for transients?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Thanks for all the good words. There's still more work to be done. That barge in the background is still wandering around whacking in some final pilings and some more service pedestals need to be installed. There are now 2 piers open. Our marina does a lot of transient business and the delay ( it was supposed to open in May) hurt them. They now have enough slips open to take some transient reservations. After June 15 they will have plenty. The slips in the front with the dolphin poles (Thanks Jackdaw, I learned something new today) are for the 30 feet and under boats and are cheaper than the bigger ones farther back. In my highly subjective opinion Harbor East Marina is the best place to stop if you are visiting the inner harbor. It is a few blocks to all the tourist attractions and Fells Point and even though it is in the middle of the city it has a friendly country vibe. Let me know if you stop by and I'll buy you a beer or five. View is from my place. Very lucky to be across the street from my boat.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Very lucky to be across the street from my boat.
It is rather stress-reducing isn't it? To be able to look out the window and see how she is sitting, and if something seems off, to be at the boat in 90 seconds. And for us, it's the closest possible seating for an adult beverage imbibed outdoors. The nearest bar is two blocks away.:)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
It's not as bad as it looks. There is plenty of separation. Those are the cheap slips for boats under 30 feet. For the price It's definitely worth it.

Oct 26, 2008
IMG_0636.JPG
View is from my place. Very lucky to be across the street from my boat.
How great is that! Here's one of my building restoration projects in the city overlooking a marina. When I was on this job site, I could fantasize that I was single, living in this building, and had my boat in the marina (Sue can't be dragged into city living). Anybody recognize the location? There are a few clews.

Oct 26, 2008
Close but no cigar. I'm pretty sure that hill is Staten Island because there is no way that Atlantic Highlands could look that close on a hazy day.