Some small-boat cruising commandments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Addressing that question of how to board an inflatable, RIB or otherwise, from the water might make a good thread topic in itself. :biggrin:
Yes, indeed! Thanks for your reply. It's an issue that bothers me no end, even though the need never arises. I want to be propared in case of an emergency, or rescue.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Indeed, that’s the way the majority of Europeans buy milk
maybe when they go sailing (;-). This is a UHT milk that a reasonable "European" (whatever this means) would not drink at all. It is quite ok for adding to coffee, but not as milk milk. Some countries had it even banned for a while.

It is great for when you don't have refrigeration (sailing, camping), but it tastes funny.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
How about rechargeable garden lights? I’ve seen several boats with those.
LED camping lantern. Cheap. It does double duty in a pinch.

Ken
[/QUOTE]
I used to use a kerosene lantern- but found that when cruising it used way too much fuel. didn't want to carry several gallons. Then I bought an LED light which is still in use- from BEBI electronics in Fiji, which sadly was forced out of business. It's been wonderful. Don't know where to get something similar.

As far as ice chests, I built mine in under the galley with 3 inch urethane. Holds a 20 pound block for 10 days.Crushed is useless.

For coffee, I use a french press,, and dump the grounds overboard.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
maybe when they go sailing (;-). This is a UHT milk that a reasonable "European" (whatever this means) would not drink at all. It is quite ok for adding to coffee, but not as milk milk. Some countries had it even banned for a while.

It is great for when you don't have refrigeration (sailing, camping), but it tastes funny.
I hear you. As someone who has lived/worked in three European (France, UK, Holland) countries for 5 years, I've very careful to not blindly brand things 'European'. But in this case it's accurate. As a rule, people in European countries do not drink milk the way Americans do. They will of course cook with it, put it in their coffee, but a big cold glass of milk, never. Ask for one in a restaurant one time, and wait for the look you will get .

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Thank you for this post. This should be my motivation to get out more and longer. My job has the same requirements. Cellphone. Laptop and hotspot. My cruises never last more than an overnight. I need to do better than that. Thanks again for the insight and clarity.

Nov 8, 2010
Here is one that a post by @jviss inspired... how to create potable water on a small boat. In salt water you have different problem, but in fresh water this is a great way. Most fresh-water distance racers (Chi-Mac etc) use one of these instead of carrying around 50+ gallons of water in the tanks.

Lifestraw. Uses gravity to make 3G of portable water an hour.

Attachments

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Yes, indeed! Thanks for your reply. It's an issue that bothers me no end, even though the need never arises. I want to be propared in case of an emergency, or rescue.
Looks easy enough:

However, my wife tried this technique last time we were in swimmable water. The results led to the conclusion that practice may be necessary.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Somehow I think the concern is when [if] one finds oneself in the water unexpectedly, clad, and possibly not wearing a PFD, maybe even at night in cold water, etc. Are you going to strip down and try that? What shall we do about the extra 30 lbs we have over the 20-somethings?

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
I buy individual 8 oz serving sized milk in tetra packs. It will keep for several months without refrigeration. It’s shelf stable. I buy it in my local supermarket. It’s great for camping boating, and kids’ school lunches.

We put a 6 pack or two of the chocolate version of these in the "bug out" box in the garage. Swap them out every year. They easily last another 6 months past the expiration date. The taste is more tolerable with chocolate and helps to wash down the canned bread.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If they had whole milk, i.e., with all the fat milk is supposed to have, I would be interested. Wait, make that lactose-free whole milk. :)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If we are away from services longer than a pint of half-and-half will stay “fresh”; say, two weeks in the fridge, we switch to Carnation evaporated milk. Of course, we still have the fridge, so doing that is not really germane to the challenge of a small boat w/o one. But one might get two mornings of use for two coffee drinkers from a 5 fl oz can w/o having to refrigerate after opening it. There also the Mini-Moos. Not that these suggestions are better than ones already offered. But as for other uses, you do need “milk” to make the Mac & Cheese! So you might get that from the evaporated version when time comes, even after two weeks on the hook, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
FYI...

Living these suggestions... Jodi and I spent an amazing Friday night on BlueJ on the hook, dinner, drinks, music, etc. etc. before getting a great nights sleep. Then wake, coffee, then motor in and picked up our crew and then went back out and won the WYC Burton Cup! Awesome 24 hours! :)

Nov 8, 2010
Oh, someone asked me what my definition of a small boat is. I said if you can take a warm shower downstairs, it’s not a small boat. Plain and simple. Anyone have a better definition?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
In my definition a small “boat” is one that lacks an inboard diesel/gas engine, lacks an enclosed head, and lacks galley facilities. A small “yacht” HAS ALL of those features, but does not have at least six feet of head-room below, does not have a navigation table/desk, and does not have adequate “fixed-location” storage below for the yacht’s “equipment.” That is, you’re always (i.e., daily) moving some stuff around the cabin to make room for other stuff for use during a cruise, etc. My Pearson 30 of prior ownership is a small yacht. My Barvaria 38 of present ownership is not a small yacht. My 20 ft Grady White (Overnighter) of prior ownership is a small boat (outboard, no head, no galley). So, it was not too wonderful for overnighting. :snooty:

Last edited: