Some small-boat cruising commandments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
  • Take indulgent snacks you would feel guilty about at home.
  • Learn to enjoy cool, not cold, ale.
  • Take the kids to the beach, look for critters, and catch small fish. Take a tiny aquarium!
  • Stay at a motel every few days if you want to. You've earned it. Travel when the weather improves.
I used to take my Stiletto 27 out for weeks with my then-small daughter. Primitive, but great fun.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
That’s right. There are more pics in the Pacific Northwest cruisers Sun Gypsy 2019 cruise

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
While a perfectly decent (hell maybe ideal) small cruiser, we mostly race, daysail, and overnight on BlueJ, a trailerable 24.5 foot, lifting keel Beneteau First 260. Most of our cruising now takes place on 30 and 40 footers. But over the last 3 days, Jodi has been away at her sisters. So with the weather looking perfect, I moved to the boat, and spent 3 days and 2 night in pure cruise mode, spending the entire time on the boat unless to dock to buy more food or booze. The only exception was working in the morning from 5:30 to 11:30, which only requires my cell phone, personal hotspot, and laptop. Beyond reminding me how fun small boat cruising can be, it reinforces some commandments that I noted as to not ever forget. Have a look, comment, add your own!

View attachment 167823

- While a grill is nice for grilling, you need a way to cook and make hot water in the galley.
- Have a separate cooler for drink ice, away from the icebox or fridge
- Have a coffee solution. Think what you want, Medaglia d’Oro instant coffee is pretty damn good in the morning on the boat. Really.
-If you like ‘stuff’ in your coffee, that ‘stuff’ must make it to the boat.
- Unpack and/or repack foods to save extra packaging that you have to store until land.
- EVERYONE will eat Ramen if hungry enough. Squirrel some away. Thank me later.
- IDIOTS run wild just after sunset. You have been warned.
- Even for smallish boats, Lazy Jacks are the best investment for the boat I’ve made in years.
- There is 100% correlation between the comfort of all-day sailing and the quality of your head situation
- If your boat has a freshwater tank and at least one sink, for gods sake use it. There’s nothing more civilized than being able to wash your hands or brush your teeth with fresh running water over a sink.
- 'Campsoap' is non-foaming, bio-degradable, and can used to wash everything from face&hands to dishes to hair to clothes. OK maybe not ladies hair.
- All lights need to be LED
- The better your anchor, the better you sleep
- Anchor in 25-35 feet of water; unless sandy NEVER less unless you want to pull up 100 lbs of smelly dirty weeds
- The farther you are away from shore, the less bugs there are.
- I have 3 words for you. Memory. Foam. Mattress.
- Even in July, it gets cold at night!
- Big trash bags. Have them, use them.
- You need a great/easy way back on the boat from the water. Always available
- You cannot have too many USB chargers on the boat. But they are useless without cables.
- The more opening hatches you have, the happier you will be. Screens too.
- If you like quality music while sailing, have a quality music solution. While I love BT mini-speakers, that is NOT the solution for a sailboat.
- Fly your US Flag when cruising. Take down your race flag!
- While a GPS/chart will do, nothing can take the place of a true depth sounder.
- Fix anything broken. Something which is a minor thing for you when daysailing with bros can become a much bigger issue for your weekend ‘crew’ if it’s broken.

- Here’s a big one, and I learned this from Jodi. The more the boat is like home, the more your female companion will want to be on it. No matter how much they like to sail, that’s a truth. Have the conveniences. Have it clean. Have it work. Think about it. Ever wonder why we have throw pillows and a blender on BlueJ?

Well....... yep........ mostly all of the above....... been on that for 12+ years now. Welcome to the other side.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Great List. You must have developed it while anchored and contemplating all of the things that make a cruise successful.
. Don't forget a few bottles of good spirits or brews of your liking. ( That's probably standard inventory on the boat!)
. I use a Coleman percolator that brews some seriously strong coffee.
. I used to charter in Pensacola 5 or 6 times a year before buying my present boat. Had to haul provisions & gear for
every trip. A good check list for provisions and personal gear is essential or you will always forget something. It saves
lots of time and grief in shopping & preparing for the trip.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I've been leaving my deck light on to supplement my anchor light.
I've always said- the mast head is the worst possible spot or an anchor light- I don't anchor where ships run. I anchor where early morning fishermen, or late night dinghy drivers are. I want mine where THOSE folks can see it. I hang off the bacck stay.

COLREGS says- where can best be seen

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Jackdaw going to the other side! He’s done well with his list. Cannot offer suggestions re coffee as I don’t drink it..I think I’m glad I don’t as I don’t have to worry about prep etc.
However, I am looking for a rechargeable anchor light to hang on the backstay..

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
[QUOTE
However, I am looking for a rechargeable anchor light to hang on the backstay..[/QUOTE]
How about rechargeable garden lights? I’ve seen several boats with those.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Have looked at a few online. I only need one or two. Not a dozen. But still looking

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Great thread Jackdaw. I knew the cruiser was there in you somewhere.
Oddly enough, I don't have much to add, all the above suggestions are excellent, especially about the cool ale instead of cold. There's more flavor that way.
I would like to see more pictures and read more stories about your trip. Beautiful picture, btw.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If you like quality music while sailing, have a quality music solution. While I love BT mini-speakers, that is NOT the solution for a sailboat.
I found my BT speaker perfect for the boat. I'm curious what doesn't work about it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Solar shower. I can't believe no one mentioned it yet. We had one, and besides adding an additional 5 gallons to your tankage, it is wonderful to be able to take a hot/warm shower.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
- You need a great/easy way back on the boat from the water. Always available
Great advice. Even on our big boat, whenever we're moored or anchored, we put the stern boarding ladder down.

Unfortunately, ours isn't easily deployed by a person in the water, and if you could, it would likely know you in the head.

Still looking for a boarding ladder for the dinghy (RIB). It's remarkably difficult to get in to. You have to be fit and strong and agile to have a chance. And ideas?

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Great thread, Jackdaw.

Some of your suggestion are specific to your (inland lake?) locale. Our differences for the Great Lakes, especially Erie and Huron:
- We anchor in 6 to 10 feet of water for protection from waves and traffic. Weeds are seldom a big problem.
- The crazies head for home around dinner time, because home is usually over 10 nm away.
- I second freeze everything you can.
- LED lights are not a necessity for us. We only use cabin and anchor lights, and they have never stressed our single battery. We carry small backup batteries for our personal devices, and recharge when we run the engine.

Last comment - the Title of Admiral on our boat is serious. She gets whatever she requests. Mostly, that deals with destinations, heading for cover in a storm, and healing above 15 degrees. Discussing contingency plans for all concerns, no matter how irrelevant they seem to me is another. (Although we have jointly agreed there is no danger of sharks in the Great Lakes.) But wonderful time with the woman I love is a huge payoff for me.