Some small-boat cruising commandments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Some nice updates to the list! First two comments about what I wrote:

1) The anchoring comment I meant to not post. The list was originally create for a group of small Beneteau sailors on Lake Minnetonka, where Eurasian Water Milfoil grows in 5-20 feet of water. It's a mess best avoided. Most of the bays are 10-40 feet deep.

2) While much translate well to larger boats, the list was really generated around smaller boats, where there are typically less developed systems. Many of the comments are about working within those limitations.

I like the showering solutions for sure. Being on a fresh water lake its normally just over the side. Hot pressure water and an inside shower to be are the definition of a 'big boat'.

I'll address the music in another post.

Nov 8, 2010
Great advice. Even on our big boat, whenever we're moored or anchored, we put the stern boarding ladder down.

Unfortunately, ours isn't easily deployed by a person in the water, and if you could, it would likely know you in the head.
Plastimo makes this emergency transom boarding ladder. It's standard equipment on Pogos, and all open 40s and 60s. I would mount on in BlueJ if the transom ladder could not be pulled down from the water.

ladder.jpeg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Plastimo makes this emergency transom boarding ladder. It's standard equipment on Pogos, and all open 40s and 60s. I would mount on in BlueJ if the transom ladder could not be pulled down from the water.

View attachment 167845
That's cool, thanks. I wonder if I could install one in the transom of my RIB?

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Timely post in that we just spent nine nights on our 1990 Mac 26S. Five nights of that was on a mooring (Two Harbors on Catalina Island) where we would make two to three trips per day to shore using an inflatable kayak. I have had this boat for about 12 years now but a couple years ago I simply needed a change to freshen things up and installed a 160 watt solar panel and electric fridge on this boat. Well... this sure did make a difference for small boat cruising. Fridge of course was nice but I pretty much did not have to conserve power at all which was a nice luxury. Not everyone will agree with this but we have a small off air TV on board (free service). My wife likes to watch a two hour network news program in the morning while I browse the internet with my laptop powered from an inverter (cell phone hot spot) and we both like to wind down the evening with about an hour of TV just before going to bed. A good bed makes a huge difference, even nicer if you dont have to crawl over someone if you need to get up at night. A good coffee program is of course critical. Our potty set up (Wag bag) leaves a little to be desired and my wife will just not use it but we spend a lot of time off the boat so not a big deal. Showers always on land either at the marina or public shower facility.

We had an inflatable kayak, inflatable stand up paddle board and two sets of snorkeling equipment on board which was a great thing. The main thing my wife wanted changed after the trip was MORE hooks to hang stuff on her side of the boat. OK dear..

Getting on and off the boat on the mooring does make a huge difference especially if you get on and off the boat two to three times per day like we tended to do. This will be very boat specific but the two pictures show the setup we have evolved to. A key thing and also somewhat of a hassle is that the leverage to climb up the stern ladder is much better if you use the very bottom ladder step that is under water. So.. you have to be wearing some sort of shoes that you can get wet. You can of course still climb up without getting your shoes wet but its way harder. We just always wore shoes we could get wet.

catalina44.jpg
catalina43.jpg

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Try this. I use it on my whitewater raft. http://nettiesbagladder.com/ladders.html

Great advice. Even on our big boat, whenever we're moored or anchored, we put the stern boarding ladder down.

Unfortunately, ours isn't easily deployed by a person in the water, and if you could, it would likely know you in the head.

Still looking for a boarding ladder for the dinghy (RIB). It's remarkably difficult to get in to. You have to be fit and strong and agile to have a chance. And ideas?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I'm coffee press man, myself. I like the good stuff. For cruising, the single best thing I have on my boat is refrigeration. No more soggy groceries and forever making ice runs.

RNC725

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 326 Lake Thurmond, GA
For us we seem to never have enough clothespins and are always finding new uses for dental floss. We try and have an ample supply of each. For music we use Sirius as we have unlimited data on our phones. What a great thread this is.

Nov 8, 2010
Regarding music and BT speakers. First, I love BT speakers. I have several, and one goes with us anytime we travel. They allow group listening when and where there is no fixed system.

On some small boats, it might be the best solution. Limited space, power, etc. If that's you then you're good. But you have to remember to charge it, put it out, keep it on the boat (out of the water), point it at people, etc etc.

But a fixed install allows one or more sets of speakers to be optimally and permanently placed. On BlueJ, we have a set of small waterproof speakers on the stern pulpit facing forward, and a set of box speakers facing backwards in the salon. This pretty much cover the boat with stereo sound, without any extra setup.

Running the speakers is a small Fusion, the 205. This has AM/FM, VHF, a USB connection with a 80G ipod permanently attached, and Bluetooth. 90% of the time its Apple Music via BT, 15% the ipod, and 5% FM. We listen to music all the time unless we are racing. It gets lots of use.

Nov 8, 2010
One of the small cruiser dilemmas is not what upgrades CAN you do, but what ones SHOULD you do. On small boats, most additions take up space, add weight, and consume power, all in limited supply. If you race it complicates it every more, as the added weight does you no favors.

The First 260 galley from the factory consisted of a sink with a cold water foot pump, a 2-burner alcohol stove, and a (very nice) icebox. The only upgrade we did was to convert the icebox to a fridge. This worked out perfectly; the unit is very power efficient, and weighs less than 2 5-lb bags of ice!

Adding pressure water seems like an extravagance for the boat, as does hot water.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Adding pressure water seems like an extravagance for the boat, as does hot water.
Hot water is only practical if you have an inboard engine to heat the water away from the dock. Pressurized water encourages waisted water, which is usually in limited supply.

Nov 8, 2010
Timely post in that we just spent nine nights on our 1990 Mac 26S. Five nights of that was on a mooring (Two Harbors on Catalina Island) where we would make two to three trips per day to shore using an inflatable kayak. I have had this boat for about 12 years now but a couple years ago I simply needed a change to freshen things up and installed a 160 watt solar panel and electric fridge on this boat. Well... this sure did make a difference for small boat cruising. Fridge of course was nice but I pretty much did not have to conserve power at all which was a nice luxury. Not everyone will agree with this but we have a small off air TV on board (free service). My wife likes to watch a two hour network news program in the morning while I browse the internet with my laptop powered from an inverter (cell phone hot spot) and we both like to wind down the evening with about an hour of TV just before going to bed. A good bed makes a huge difference, even nicer if you dont have to crawl over someone if you need to get up at night. A good coffee program is of course critical. Our potty set up (Wag bag) leaves a little to be desired and my wife will just not use it but we spend a lot of time off the boat so not a big deal. Showers always on land either at the marina or public shower facility.

We had an inflatable kayak, inflatable stand up paddle board and two sets of snorkeling equipment on board which was a great thing. The main thing my wife wanted changed after the trip was MORE hooks to hang stuff on her side of the boat. OK dear..

Getting on and off the boat on the mooring does make a huge difference especially if you get on and off the boat two to three times per day like we tended to do. This will be very boat specific but the two pictures show the setup we have evolved to. A key thing and also somewhat of a hassle is that the leverage to climb up the stern ladder is much better if you use the very bottom ladder step that is under water. So.. you have to be wearing some sort of shoes that you can get wet. You can of course still climb up without getting your shoes wet but its way harder. We just always wore shoes we could get wet.

View attachment 167846 View attachment 167847
That looks like a BLAST.

Solar probably helps a lot. We're lucky with BlueJ, the inboard diesel keeps the battery topped off with a little running every day. TV/movies a great idea, and helps on cold/rainy/stormy days inside. In planning for my future escape from the grid, I have over 1000 HD movies on a portable hard drive. Wanna do a Hitchcock binge? I have them all! Will be great when anchored at Bora Bora.

Nov 8, 2010
Hot water is only practical if you have an inboard engine to heat the water away from the dock. Pressurized water encourages waisted water, which is usually in limited supply.
Indeed. BlueJ has such, but the complexity seems over-the-top in a small boat. The tipping point is of you have room for a shower, which we do not. Actually we do as the head is big enough, but there is no sump for drain water.

Nov 8, 2010
Pre-freeze anything that can be pre-frozen including bottled water.

Also true of Chef boyardee

In addition to my mast head anchor light. I hang a lantern from my boom.
View attachment 167828

:plus:

Not always true in Alabama.

• If you have unlimited data on your phone.... a Netflix movie at anchor in a cove is much more enjoyable than TV on your couch. If you don't have unlimited data, download a movie to your phone before you head out.
  • Trailmix!
  • Good closed-toe water shoes
  • Quick drying clothes
  • Baby wipes or other types of cleaning wipes for sticky fingers etc... these are good for you body but also are good for spills etc.
  • Quaility first-aid kit that includes sunburn cream, benadryl, neproxin, and sting stix.
  • Quality hat
  • Spare hat :(
Ohh thats a good list of adds.

+1 for quck dry clothes. I pack zero cotton, mostly tech clothes.
+1 for that first aid kit. We're got a big one on BlueJ
+1 baby wipes! yes!

On Lake Minnetonka there is a 40mph speed limit, down to 20mph after sunset. One night I was out there was a firework display over the water in Wayzata. Tons of boats out. Afterwords, a lot of them took off at high speed to get back to dock, I'm assuming because some female guests were doing the pee-dance after a long evening on the water on a small boat. The waiting patrol boats (which they could not see!) had a field day.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Canopy.jpeg

I didn't see a canopy mentioned. This came in handy just the other night. I had 2 long days of work in Brigantine this week … too far to drive home. I find staying alone in a motel is very depressing and I was about 1/2 hour from Barnegat. So why not stay overnight. It happened to rain overnight and without this canopy, it would have been too muggy to sleep well with the cabin closed up. This kept the cabin and cockpit dry and cool with the companionway open and plenty of air flow. The only problem was the sound of rain on this cheap tarp isn't the most pleasant. I've been meaning to make a template for a custom-made sunbrella canopy. I want to make something that is adjustable for height and pitch, and with a means for easier entry and exit at the side decks. I'll also need one to cover the bow hatch and opening ports.

I added water pressure and a water heater. This has been a great addition. I have hot & cold shower nozzle in the cockpit at the stern. In salt water, and the brackish, muddy bay water, it is essential. Water usage is way up there, I'll admit. I fill 20 gallons on a regular basis. I can add another 12 or so gallons under the stbd salon but have been resisting this add-on. I put the water heater in the back of the quarter berth, which is not useful for much otherwise. The water heater is a big problem if I need to access something behind it at the stern behind the removable bulkhead, though. So far, I've avoided the need to do anything back there. I plan to create a way to mount a portable refer/cooler in the front of the quarter berth and use the rest of the space for storage. I don't want to add refrigeration to the ice box, and I am getting tired of loading ice. I'd rather use that box for dry food storage.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Solar shower. I can't believe no one mentioned it yet. We had one, and besides adding an additional 5 gallons to your tankage, it is wonderful to be able to take a hot/warm shower.

Mine came from Duckworks. Unfortunately talking to Chuck today, they can no longer get black ones. Kinda defeats the purpose .
pump mounted.jpg