Sole TV Replacement - Hunter 49/50

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
Hello Everyone - I am replacing my Sole TV in the main salon of my 2007 H49 and wondering if anyone has any helpful hints. The replacement TV is a Vizio V405-H19 which is a 40" smart TV. I've attached a pic of the connections on the back of the TV, which are HDMI input, USB 2.0 input, Composite Input, Antenna/Cable, Ethernet, audio out (R & W) and audio out (optical). I have the original Bose LifeStyle DVD and surround sound system that will remain.

My questions are the following:
1) How have others dealt with converting the VGA input cable to either HDMI or USB so the TV can continue to display the chart plotter, etc.?
2) Are there any "tricks" to connecting/phishing a new power cord?
3) I have not removed the existing Sole yet, so I am not sure if I can use the existing wall mount which will likely need to move even if it fits the new TV since I have gone with a 40 inch TV vs the existing 32. How have people mounted a new wall mount if required?

I appreciate learning any other tips or info you could provide to make my installation go easier!

Attachments

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
It looks like you can buy a vga to hdmi converter for about $10 I have the B&G Vulcan MFD, I can mirror the Vulcan via wi-fi to my via phone, Ipad or tablet. I installed the "link" app It comes in handy entering waypoints and plotting a course from the nav desk while the chart plotter is at the helm. Also great during a race, the crew can see what the helmsman sees. I never had a need to try to connect it to a TV but I suppose I could cast the phone or ipad to the TV. without wires

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hello Everyone - I am replacing my Sole TV in the main salon of my 2007 H49 and wondering if anyone has any helpful hints. The replacement TV is a Vizio V405-H19 which is a 40" smart TV. I've attached a pic of the connections on the back of the TV, which are HDMI input, USB 2.0 input, Composite Input, Antenna/Cable, Ethernet, audio out (R & W) and audio out (optical). I have the original Bose LifeStyle DVD and surround sound system that will remain.

My questions are the following:
1) How have others dealt with converting the VGA input cable to either HDMI or USB so the TV can continue to display the chart plotter, etc.?
2) Are there any "tricks" to connecting/phishing a new power cord?
3) I have not removed the existing Sole yet, so I am not sure if I can use the existing wall mount which will likely need to move even if it fits the new TV since I have gone with a 40 inch TV vs the existing 32. How have people mounted a new wall mount if required?

I appreciate learning any other tips or info you could provide to make my installation go easier!
If you’re interested , I have a fully working ones c/w perfect remote control. You just pay for shipping.
I’m not sure if you’re upgrading because you want a larger screen, etc, or because the original unit died.

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
If you’re interested , I have a fully working ones c/w perfect remote control. You just pay for shipping.
I’m not sure if you’re upgrading because you want a larger screen, etc, or because the original unit died.
Thank you for the offer. My Sole works just upgrading.

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
It looks like you can buy a vga to hdmi converter for about $10 I have the B&G Vulcan MFD, I can mirror the Vulcan via wi-fi to my via phone, Ipad or tablet. I installed the "link" app It comes in handy entering waypoints and plotting a course from the nav desk while the chart plotter is at the helm. Also great during a race, the crew can see what the helmsman sees. I never had a need to try to connect it to a TV but I suppose I could cast the phone or ipad to the TV. without wires
Thanks for the reply. My chart plotter is original equipment and I don't believe it has that functionality. Although, since you mentioned it with the smart tv I'll be able to mirror nav apps from my phone or Ipad vs the chart plotter.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thank you for the offer. My Sole works just upgrading.
Ok,
Let’s talk about mounting.
I’m about to make something VERY easy for you, and show you an amazing trick.,

Get rid of the whole angled mounting bracket currently attached to the bulkhead. You’re going to mount the screen directly, and I have a wonderful way of doing this easily,, and getting the alignment spot, dead on.

Make a cardboard template of the tv size.
Mark on this template the 4 (I believe they are M5) mounting holes in the box formation on the back of the screen. Get these very accurate on your template.,
Use the cardboard template, tape it up to the bulkhead, and spend time being fully happy with placement & level.
Then, with a sharp point, transfer the 4 mounting holes to the bulkhead.
Drill the 4 holes just slightly oversize for the bolts. Make sure they are level & square to the surface.
Btw, I assume by this time you have full access to the back side inside above the clothes locker in the fwd cabin,

And here is the neatest trick in the universe,
The problem with trying to install thus tv “blind”, or anything else where you have to put in ratter short bolts from the back, and somehow find the threaded holes of what you are hanging up is a major pain.
You have one or two people trying to hold the tv against the bulkhead, moving it around, scratching up the wood, whike someone on the back side is frantically trying to get their bolt to line up with a thread on the back of the tv, which they can’t see.
So, first of all, the mounting bolts that came with the tv aren’t going to work.,
They are calculated to go into a sheet metal mount, not through the thickness of the bulkhead.
Step 1
Confirm screw thread. As mentioned, I think it’s m5, but you’ll confirm this once you go to Home Depot or wherever they have a good fastener selection.
Measure the bulkhead thickness. Buy 4 round head bolts, in the proper thread of this thickness plus 3/4”. Also, get flat washers, and split washers, and 4 nuts.
Now, buy another 4 bolts, at least 1” longer, i the same thread, The longer, the better.

Take the long screws, and cut off the heads as close to the head as possible.You don’t need to worry about fixing up the thread.

Go to the bulkhead where you drilled the 4 holes. Put a small piece of white masking tape 1” square approx over the hole, and punch a hole through the Center for the bolt to go through.. This is not critical. It’s just for easy sighting. A small screwdriver will work.
Now, get a flashlight.
Screw the 2 modified bolts (damaged thread outwards), into the top 2 Holes on the rectangular mounting location on the back of the tv. Just do this hand tight until you’ve gone in at least 1/2”

2 people lift the tv, one also holding the flashlight. As you are bringing the tv up to the bulkhead, simply align the treaded studs with the holes in the white tape.
Push the tv against the bulkhead, and it’s now simply hanging by tge studs, with you just lightly keeping it pushed against the bulkhead.
Then, the second person goes around back, and installs the 2 lower bolts, with flat & lock washers. Don’t tighten down dead snug yet.
From the back side, remove the long alignment bolts.
Then put in the top bolts, with flat & lock washers.
There will be a tiny bit of final alignment you can do, depending how much clearance there is in the mounting bolts.
Once happy, snug then all up.
This truck saves HUGE aggravation, and the chance of dropping the tv when mounting it

good luck!

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
Ok,
Let’s talk about mounting.
I’m about to make something VERY easy for you, and show you an amazing trick.,

Get rid of the whole angled mounting bracket currently attached to the bulkhead. You’re going to mount the screen directly, and I have a wonderful way of doing this easily,, and getting the alignment spot, dead on.

Make a cardboard template of the tv size.
Mark on this template the 4 (I believe they are M5) mounting holes in the box formation on the back of the screen. Get these very accurate on your template.,
Use the cardboard template, tape it up to the bulkhead, and spend time being fully happy with placement & level.
Then, with a sharp point, transfer the 4 mounting holes to the bulkhead.
Drill the 4 holes just slightly oversize for the bolts. Make sure they are level & square to the surface.
Btw, I assume by this time you have full access to the back side inside above the clothes locker in the fwd cabin,

And here is the neatest trick in the universe,
The problem with trying to install thus tv “blind”, or anything else where you have to put in ratter short bolts from the back, and somehow find the threaded holes of what you are hanging up is a major pain.
You have one or two people trying to hold the tv against the bulkhead, moving it around, scratching up the wood, whike someone on the back side is frantically trying to get their bolt to line up with a thread on the back of the tv, which they can’t see.
So, first of all, the mounting bolts that came with the tv aren’t going to work.,
They are calculated to go into a sheet metal mount, not through the thickness of the bulkhead.
Step 1
Confirm screw thread. As mentioned, I think it’s m5, but you’ll confirm this once you go to Home Depot or wherever they have a good fastener selection.
Measure the bulkhead thickness. Buy 4 round head bolts, in the proper thread of this thickness plus 3/4”. Also, get flat washers, and split washers, and 4 nuts.
Now, buy another 4 bolts, at least 1” longer, i the same thread, The longer, the better.

Take the long screws, and cut off the heads as close to the head as possible.You don’t need to worry about fixing up the thread.

Go to the bulkhead where you drilled the 4 holes. Put a small piece of white masking tape 1” square approx over the hole, and punch a hole through the Center for the bolt to go through.. This is not critical. It’s just for easy sighting. A small screwdriver will work.
Now, get a flashlight.
Screw the 2 modified bolts (damaged thread outwards), into the top 2 Holes on the rectangular mounting location on the back of the tv. Just do this hand tight until you’ve gone in at least 1/2”

2 people lift the tv, one also holding the flashlight. As you are bringing the tv up to the bulkhead, simply align the treaded studs with the holes in the white tape.
Push the tv against the bulkhead, and it’s now simply hanging by tge studs, with you just lightly keeping it pushed against the bulkhead.
Then, the second person goes around back, and installs the 2 lower bolts, with flat & lock washers. Don’t tighten down dead snug yet.
From the back side, remove the long alignment bolts.
Then put in the top bolts, with flat & lock washers.
There will be a tiny bit of final alignment you can do, depending how much clearance there is in the mounting bolts.
Once happy, snug then all up.
This truck saves HUGE aggravation, and the chance of dropping the tv when mounting it

good luck!
Wow, great advice. Thank you for the detailed explanation!

If you don't mind one more question. I have not removed the panel from the hanging locker yet. Is there a 120V outlet behind that panel? I have the Bose Lifteyle Layout drawing from Hunter but it does not show an outlet. Only shows one by the Bose unit on the drawing. Wondering how you handled power to the TV. Thanks again.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Wow, great advice. Thank you for the detailed explanation!

If you don't mind one more question. I have not removed the panel from the hanging locker yet. Is there a 120V outlet behind that panel? I have the Bose Lifteyle Layout drawing from Hunter but it does not show an outlet. Only shows one by the Bose unit on the drawing. Wondering how you handled power to the TV. Thanks again.
I’m assuming this is a 49....
Yes, there is a power outlet behind where the tv. There is 1 or 2 things ,,, or both
Regular power outlet.
12v to 120 inverter.
I would plug into the regular outlet.
It’s going to be a bit tricky to get the tv to play sound through the bose.
We can discuss this by phone, as there are a number of possibilities
Cheers,

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
I’m assuming this is a 49....
Yes, there is a power outlet behind where the tv. There is 1 or 2 things ,,, or both
Regular power outlet.
12v to 120 inverter.
I would plug into the regular outlet.
It’s going to be a bit tricky to get the tv to play sound through the bose.
We can discuss this by phone, as there are a number of possibilities
Cheers,
Yes, the boat is a 2007 49. I'm hoping to start removing the TV this weekend and will investigate what's behind the panel. I was testing the new TV I received at home and the screen is damaged, so it is being sent back. So glad I did not install it and then find out about the damage! Thank you for the offer of support. Once I have the replacement TV I'll reach out to you.

Apr 6, 2004
Hunter 49 Downers Grove, IL
@Daze - If you weren't already aware, @artboas is the resident expert to most (all?) things H49 related. I have used him as a resource myself in the past, and he seems to enjoy sharing all that he has learned about his boat.

I was looking to upgrade my TV to a larger model as well, and never considered a direct mount thru the wall as Art described, but makes great sense and saves the cost/hassle of the bracket. And it's amazing that the new TV, while looking twice as big as the old, only seems to weigh half as much!. Next entertainment project after that might be replacing the Bose Lifestyle unit, just need to find something that will let me keep the amp and the speakers.

T J

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
Agreed, @artboas is a great resource! He's been very helpful to me and I already "owe" him a day of sailing if he is ever in the Marblehead, MA area, lol.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Agreed, @artboas is a great resource! He's been very helpful to me and I already "owe" him a day of sailing if he is ever in the Marblehead, MA area, lol.
Thanks for the kind words!
I have a MAJOR posting coming up in the spring. It’s a project I worked on for most of last summer, and I’m finishing it up over the winter.
It’s pretty radical ... even for me
Stay tuned .

Oct 15, 2023
Hunter 49 Gosport
Sorry to re-open this thread but I've just bought a new TV for my 49 and any additional advice/tips would be most welcome. The current TV is mounted to a pole which is attached to the ceiling just in front of the bulkhead. Ideally I'd like to remove this and mount the TV directly to the bulkhead wall but not sure/confident of screwing into the unknown. Any ideas how thick the bulkhead is? Is it even solid wood? Or just some veneer? I haven't started to investigate fully so apologies ...

Questions.

1 - Generally speaking, how thick is that bulkhead panel?
2 - Do the wires from the Bose run up and over or down and under the cabin sole?

I've attached 2 pics with the 2nd showing where I'd like to place the new TV.

Thanks
Michael

Attachments

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Sorry to re-open this thread but I've just bought a new TV for my 49 and any additional advice/tips would be most welcome. The current TV is mounted to a pole which is attached to the ceiling just in front of the bulkhead. Ideally I'd like to remove this and mount the TV directly to the bulkhead wall but not sure/confident of screwing into the unknown. Any ideas how thick the bulkhead is? Is it even solid wood? Or just some veneer? I haven't started to investigate fully so apologies ...

Questions.

1 - Generally speaking, how thick is that bulkhead panel?
2 - Do the wires from the Bose run up and over or down and under the cabin sole?

I've attached 2 pics with the 2nd showing where I'd like to place the new TV.

Thanks
Michael
Just follow my directions about mounting directly to the bulkhead. It works perfectly.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'd skip cutting of the heads of screws and all that and spend $10 on a mount that includes all the hardware you need and might even tilt. Your TV probably isn't very heavy. The mount makes this an easy, one person job. I've mounted plenty of TV's and other devices with VESA mounting patterns to walls, metal racks, inside cases, etc. I usually find it easier to use a mount.

As for the VGA, you can buy a converter for around $10 and power it off of the TV's USB port. Look for one that has a USB to barrel cable power cable included. There also might be some out now that have a USB power input.

Oct 15, 2023
Hunter 49 Gosport
Just follow my directions about mounting directly to the bulkhead. It works perfectly.
I think the instructions make sense if you can line the mounting position with the back of the cupboard but I was wondering how thick the middle of the bulkhead is. As most mounts line directly with the back/middle of the TV and this would require drilling and not bolting through. Hope that makes sense

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
TV directly to the bulkhead wall but not sure/confident of screwing into the unknown. Any ideas how thick the bulkhead is?
We mounted ours like your plan.

We bought a thick Teak board and long enough to encompass the mounting spots.

The Teak board spreads the load on the Back side of our Bulk Head [1/2 inch thick]

HDMI is the only way to go!

Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ours has a swivel mount [ it swivels into the same spot as your plan], that uses 2 bolts on the Bulk head. We off set ours, since a Finishing Teak strip was in our way.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 11.29.27 AM.png

See our bolts on the swivel mount.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 11.28.30 AM.png

No back side picture, but will take one next time to demonstrate the other side.

Jim...

Oct 15, 2023
Hunter 49 Gosport
Ours has a swivel mount [ it swivels into the same spot as your plan], that uses 2 bolts on the Bulk head. We off set ours, since a Finishing Teak strip was in our way.

View attachment 223329

See our bolts on the swivel mount.

View attachment 223330

No back side picture, but will take one next time to demonstrate the other side.

Jim...
Thanks Jim,

Did your screws/bolts go all the way through the bulkhead into the toilet side? Or just into the wood?

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I bought a full swivel mount designed for RV's that would lock in place when not in use for travelling.