Solar panel installation suggestions

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
I'm looking for ideas on the placement of solar panels on a 2007 Hunter 45CC. Would love to see some pictures of where owners have placed the panels and hear some mounting hardwear ideas.
I am eventually going to have a Davits, and wanted to put them on it, but was told the installation on top of the Davits wouldn't work on the 45CC, I think because of wiring (distance and where to enter the boat) issues.

Thanks

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I am not a big fan of solar panels on Davits with my dinghy and outboard on it most of the time is already heavy
and I will try to show how I added solar panels off my arch over my bimini and ran the wires into the arch making a nice clean look and no worry with wires hanging all over.
Nick

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
This is what I did but using the arch is real strong and my sail doesn't cause any shading and I never worry about them
with my 2 -190 panels I do get a lot of charging all day and have a Blue Sky charge controller down below Blue Sky 3024 wth remote.
Nick

Nov 19, 2009
Here's my dilemma with that installation, my traveler is at my arch and there's very little room between the bottom of the BOOM and the Bimini. Maybe have the panels aft of the arch with a brace?
Nice instal By the way, seadaddle

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My travelar is at the arch also and maybe try using stainless round pipe help keeping the panels and frame low and add the panels beyond the boom.
Nick

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
length of the wire run is not really a big concern because of the very low current

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Wow another arch $$$$$$ and wire length is a big deal and need to make wire gauge
size according to length and check formula for wire size do to wire length.
I made my install so $$$$$ would be lower than need to and that works with the one arch.
Run longer round stainless to vertical supports could work and so much cheaper than another arch.
But than again I have seen that type of setup with another arch with Davits and solar and another arch I would think that setup is $$$$$$$$$$$$ for sure
Nick

Nov 19, 2009
Nice install Jeff. Question, what is the block and tackle on the port side?

Nov 19, 2009
Wow another arch $$$$$$ and wire length is a big deal and need to make wire gauge
size according to length and check formula for wire size do to wire length.
I made my install so $$$$$ would be lower than need to and that works with the one arch.
Run longer round stainless to vertical supports could work and so much cheaper than another arch.
Nick
I'm going to have to look at the available space between the top of the Bimini and the boom. At first glance I didn't think there wasn't enough room but maybe there is. Thanks for the pictures and the reply

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
They are actually on both sides of the arch and are for the dinghy davits. If you look closely, you can see the SS arma that extend out under the 3 solar panels, so we can just hoist the dinghy up.

Nov 19, 2009
Ok I see that now. So you didn't have a Davits already and when you installed the solar panels you made a Davits also?

Nov 19, 2009
And the other thing I see different on your boat vs mine, is on mine the Bimini comes all the way to the arch.

Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
And the other thing I see different on your boat vs mine, is on mine the Bimini comes all the way to the arch.
No, we did not have davits prior to installing the new SS arch. Designed it myself so as to include solar panels, dinghy davits, mounts for extra VHF antenna, SSB antennas, and 2 GPS antennas, also installed 3 LED lights, plus a LED flood light on the underneath side (see photo). No our Bimina does not extend back to the arch, as we had a full enclosure made for the cockpit area.
Jeff

Attachments

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
length of the wire run is not really a big concern because of the very low current
2 x 190w = 25 amps, with the additional requirements of very low voltage drop. That's some big wire. I've got 1/2 capacity, a shorter run, and used #10. This probably #6 or possibly #4. Including the insulation, that's 1/4" OD, single strand.

Remember that as the voltage drops towards ~13-13.5 your available charging voltage differential drops like a rock.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
Here is what we did on our 2006 Hunter 45 CC.
I am wrestling with same issue on hunter 450. that second arch looks very nice but it has to be pricey. on top of the bimini has the problem of space below the boom and shade from the boom. the davits is what I was thinking but not sure of their strength and now there is this issue of wire sizing. was also thinking of putting them over the stern seats to create shade for those seats and to keep the extra weight off the davits. but how short of another arch? maybe extend supports up from the rails there?

Nov 19, 2009
Bayman
The plan with my boat is to occasionally leave in on a mooring in the Abacos. I've seen some 100w flexible panels and I'm wondering if I can just get a couple of those and attached them somehow topside for when the boat sits unattended. When I'm on the boat I can use the engine alternator or the genset to charge up. I really don't think I need a permanent set up. With the cost to make the structure (and weight) to hold the permanent panels, I'm wondering if that isn't the way to go.
I'm also reading a bit on wind generators and how far they've come with noise level.

Ron

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
Not sure if yours is the same but on the 450 there is a spot between the cockpit and mast that originally had a small panel meant to keep the battery alive. every 450 I have seen has it removed. but if that's all you need that may work for you. I'm planning for more power production that involves 2-4 panels.