So they dropped my boat!

Mar 26, 2012
Adventure Yachts Fantasia 35 Vancouver, BC
I was having my Fantasia 35 hauled out yesterday for a refit, on a travel-lift.

They managed to drop the boat out of the front sling, and the bow dropped about 3 feet onto concrete. Ouch!

The Fantasia is a heavy bluewater boat, with parts of the hull being 1 inch thick. I've looked at the "Lamination Schedule" for the boat, and an outline of the "Accommodation Design", both of which indicate ballast is located at the area where the impact occurred, roughly where the keel to bow curve begins. It's unclear as to how the ballast is configured, so it may or may not have softened the shockwave.

My question is, does anyone have previous experience with this type of impact damage? What can I expect in terms of a proper diagnosis of any hull fracturing. What other areas may have sustained damage, like possibly the backstay?

I'm insured, but the better informed I am, the better chance of a good diagnosis. Love the boat, but I don’t want the bow to suddenly fall off! That would be an even worse surprise.

Anyone able to help me out?

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
It's hard for anyone to say what may have been damaged but I'd ask the yard to reimburse you for a surveyor of your choice examine the boat. Also, report it to your insurance company. They will work with the yards insurance Co.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Keel to bow curve is possibly worst place. You have to check all bulkheads and the tabbing for them as well as all the tabbing around keel and stringers if they exist. It really requires a surveyor that you pay. Take at least a hundred pictures everywhere on the boat. That 1 inch layup may have been strong enough but a three foot drop onto concrete is a problem. HTF did they do that?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have no experience with your type of damage but I do have experience with BoatUS insurance. Contact your insurance company *immediately* if not sooner. They will guide you the whole way. Good luck!

Mar 26, 2012
I think they underestimate weight. A strap was tied between the two carry straps, but I think it was at the center point of the bow radius, so when it stretched, it went around rather than tightening.

I wondered if it was too far forward, but figured they knew their job!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. The only person I know who had their boat dropped found that the impact cracked the fuel tank. I don't know any details of how far it fell or what part of the boat hit the ground. It was a 27' 1970's boat. Sorry, this is not much help. But I echo the advice to contact your insurance company and get a good surveyor who is not associated with the yard.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
IMG_0188.JPG
This is the way to haul a boat! No slings. Drive the boat between the rails up on to air bags. Vehicle is very articulated!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Ouch! There are 2 types of damage to look for. The most obvious is the impact area, here look for cracks and delimitation. The other type is transmitted damage, this happens as the energy from the fall is transmitted through the boat. As Andrew pointed out, look at the bulkhead tabbing, chainplates, chainplates, mast step, cabin top, and deck.

As others have said, get your insurance company involved. And read the fine print in the contract with the marina. Don't be surprised to see a clause that essentially says that they are not responsible for any accidents even it if is there fault. This is one of the reasons we pay insurance premiums.

Good Luck. Been done this road when my boat fell off its jack stands because it was improperly blocked. BoatUS insurance was great.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Sorry about your mishap. Definitely get your insurance company involved immediately and get an independent sailboat surveyor to check it out. As Rich mentioned, watch out, because many of the local surveyors have a relationship with the local yards. You need a knowledgeable surveyor who is going to be objective and on your side.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
Sorry this happened to you and your sailboat, I have just a suggestion so as not to miss the extent of possible
fracture on the hull, let your insurer and surveyor know that you want a large area of the impact zone (or the whole bottom in fact ) , soda blasted down to gel coat surface, this is the only way the cracks and damage can truly be exposed. It's not
very expensive and it is a great visual look. Good luck with everything.
joe
s/v Trinity

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
For all of you regardless, remember both the forward and transom of all sailboat hulls curve upwards. Make sure if using any type of sling support for the hull, tie the slings on each side together tightly and if loose when coming up, insist the boat be lowered back down and retighten that line. I did it in my yards regardless of length of sailboats which included launching with cranes over bulkheads and bridges too.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
a few years ago , the yard dropped my neighbors' catalina 30 on her nose. it fell right out of the front travelift strap when an inept operator hit the raise button for the rear strap. since the boat looked 'fine' the owner went ahead and launched. within 24 hours the boat had a serious water leak , suspected to be from the fall damaging the keel to hull joint and possibly the forward keel bolt. the surveyor recommended hauling the boat and pulling and inspecting the forward keel bolts... the owner was lucky that he had the really competent local surveyor on this job .

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I always video when by boat is hauled in or out. They may think I'm making a memory, but in reality I'm documenting and creating evidence in case something goes wrong.

Mar 26, 2012
Hah. I have produced literally 1000's of videos over my 40 odd year television career. Sometimes I just want to watch stuff with my own eyes. The boat is supposed to get me away from work!