So How Many of Us Are There?

Oct 19, 2016
Hunter 27 Palatka, Florida
Hmm.. can't upload pictures... Help?? It asks me to "upload," I hit "browse," select the photo desired, and have to hit "close" because there are no other options to hit but "browse"... Ideas??
For that matter, how do I create an avatar?

Oct 19, 2016
Hunter 27 Palatka, Florida
Well, THIS is not so great...
"Additionally, most of these flush mounted sidelights are installed below the vessel's rub rail. International Navigation Rules require that sidelights be installed above the uppermost continuous deck. Therefore this configuration would not be in compliance with International Navigation Rules" (http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/sidelights.htm).

That would mean my sidelights are incorrectly installed, and I should be pulling them, and using the mast lights instead, even when motoring, assumedly. I would have to have something mounted on the prow instead, which would be most inconvenient relative to anchoring, or have them mounted on the pulpit (which looks like hell), or just use the mast lights. I guess the mast lights win... Maybe I can put some sort of LED spotlights of a different color into the current mounting holes at the bow, and use them for fog illumination or something...? Or perhaps use the wiring for something else...

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
SF, there are a lot of older boats like ours with the flush mounted in-hull running lights. They were apparently manufactured before the rule change. I wouldn't think the water police are coming after us. That would tie up their resources for years trying to get every boat that is out of compliance. I would just not worry about it. BTW, I just replaced mine with LEDs. They are really bright.

Oct 6, 2017
Hunter 30 Toronto
We are brand new to the form, to the site, and as 1978 H30C owners. As they are quite different from the newer model Hunters this forum is great.

Keep coming back HC owners!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
We are brand new to the form, to the site, and as 1978 H30C owners. As they are quite different from the newer model Hunters this forum is great.

Keep coming back HC owners!
Hey there @S/V Onion. Welcome to the Hunter forums. Post a pic of your boat. Would love to see another addition to this great collection.

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
I'm not going anywhere. 39 years with Midnight Sun. Still ocean racing!!

dougr

Apr 24, 2014
Hunter 27 Detroit
This is forum is like a club. There may not be many of us but we are here. The photo here is one of my projects. Winterizing on a budget. But before I did I came here for the opinion of others. The cost of custom covers was out my budget but with the information I learned here and about $400 I built my own . We are now into our third season with this setup and no issues. I would like to say thank you to everyone here for their support.
20161110_193415085_iOS.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
IMG_0839.jpg Just finished a restore on Trinity, Launched July 13, 2017 after
some extensive hull and topside work. Had a nice late summer & fall sail time on
the Mullica River and Great Bay NJ. So count me in as still being here.
1980 36 Hull # 30

May 21, 2009
Hunter 30 Smithfield, VA
I haven't posted or sailed in a while, but still have my 79 H30 and hopes of sailing and repainting the deck. Maybe in 18.

Apr 29, 2016
Hunter 27 Atwood Lake, OH
View attachment 144066 Just finished a restore on Trinity, Launched July 13, 2017 after
some extensive hull and topside work. Had a nice late summer & fall sail time on
the Mullica River and Great Bay NJ. So count me in as still being here.
1980 36 Hull # 30
She look fantastic Joe! Nicely done. What did you coat the toerail with?

Apr 8, 2014
Hunter 30 Fort Walton Beach, FL
I am here with my '79 Hunter 30. Have been working on her for the past three and a half years since I bought her. Finally got the deck painted this past spring...yes I painted the non-skid a pale pink to match the pink sail
LE 1.jpg
LE 2.jpg
cover, hatch covers, winch covers and pink sunbrella on the jib. Now she's ready for Christmas with her pink lights! Now for the pink bimini! (will do that this winter) I sail her all the time in the bay and in the Gulf. What a great boat!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
tgentsh
I painted the toe rails with Awlgrip. As did the entire hull and topside. Went with the original Awlgrip which is brushable with their proper reducers and activaters. The Awlgrip takes about two weeks to reach full hardness, then it is like concrete.
Glad you like her ! Thank you.
joe
s/v Trinity

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I just realized I've been following this thread but haven't posted to it. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1977 Cherubini Hunter 30. Hope to have photos of sailing her this coming summer - knock on wood... :)

dj

Mar 3, 2016
Hunter 25 Washington, NC
I've posted a couple of items regarding my "new" to me/first sailboat, and I'm appreciative of the responses that I've received! Dennis Kitchen, the pictures that you've shared have been great as well!

Below is a picture that I took a couple months ago of Charlotte, my 1980 H25. I keep my boat in my hometown (about 4.5 hours away), so I usually only make it to her once a month. I could move it closer, but I use it as a means of visiting family more often as well.

I've removed the handrails (and plugged up the holes) to refinish them, thus why you don't see them in the picture. I'm looking to convert all of the canvas on her to Captain's Navy as I go along, which is why the mainsail cover and the bimini fabric don't match currently.

I enjoy reading everyone's posts, and I REALLY enjoy seeing the pictures of everyone's boats. I love DIY projects, and look forward to the constant journey of retrofitting the various components of Charlotte as time progresses.

I think my next project is going to be re-routing the main halyard back to the cockpit. I took the basic keelboat ASA course to "get my feet wet" and learn a bit of the "how to's", and I really like how the boat on which I was instructed had the rigging leading back to the cockpit. Since I will mostly be sailing single-handed, I figured it would also make it a lot easier on myself!

I'm going to begin scouring the forums to see if anyone else has attempted the same improvement, but if anyone has any words of advice, I'm humbled and appreciative of your support/knowledge!

Joey

Attachments