So How Many of Us Are There?

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
"Stupid Question. So what qualifies as a Cherubini Hunter?"

Like the man said: no such thing as a stupid question...Cherubini Hunters were from the drafting board of John Cherubini, who died in 1983. His Hunter designs were the 25, 27, 30, 33, 36, 37C and the rare 54. Production continued until 1984 (at least in the case of the 37 Cutter - not sure about the other models).

Last edited:

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
One way to know it's a Cherubini design is how the foredeck blends into the cabin. The Cherubini's angles up sharp....maybe 60 degrees with no hatch mounted on that angle. The later ones like the 31, angles up at about 30 degrees and has a hatch mounted on that surface. Maybe not true in all cases, but I can spot a Cherubini a mile away ;)

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
As far as I know there were at least 411 Hunter 37 Cutters built; anyone have any idea how many of the other Cherubini designs were built? In theory there should be several thousand Cherubini Hunters sailing around...so quite a few of us left, even if we don't visit this forum much anymore!

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
View attachment 126486
Stupid Question. So what qualifies as a Cherubini Hunter?
Pateco: Just in case that you haven't yet encountered it, here is a pdf of Hunter's 1982 sailboat brochure. All the boats in the line are "Cherubini Hunters". I think that the original brochure might have been larger with a couple of pages for each of the 25/27/30/33/36/37 & 54 models. This pdf appears truncated to only my 36' iteration. I have seen another pdf edition which only has the pages for the 27.

Would be interesting, for history's sake, if someone still has the full brochure which could be scanned. Also, Hunter must have produced brochures for the prior years as well.

Attachments

Dec 5, 2011
Hunter 37c Scotland
I'm not one for posting much, but I regularly lurk and read others trials and tribulations especially now that I get a weekly update in my email box. I appreciate all those who have posted, I have and am learning alot about my boat from you.
Thanks
Angus

Apr 29, 2016
Hunter 1978 cherubinight 37c Madisonville. La
Thanks Jim for the information on my boat it's nice to know you have a part of History as for the fuel problem I am looking into some better filter combinations she still running fine though

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Over the last year or so, the frequency of postings on the Hunter Cherubini specific forum I think has dropped off significantly from "yesteryear".

Probably due to existing owners already having most of the Cherubini specific answers. And also probably due to fewer new owners coming out because less of our ~35 year old boats are changing hands. (Or even are still floating.)

Although I myself still check the forum most days, I am less inclined to respond to questions that have come up dozens of times. Or to compose a post to a newer forum member that I observe tends not follow up on responses to his/her original question.

But I still chime in if I think I can add some value.

Anyone else observing the same?
Apologies for not responding to this sooner. I did see it when posted, started a response and got distracted.

Since I only joined this forum less than two years ago when I purchased my '81 H36 I cannot comment on a decline in activity. However, I would like to sincerely thank all those that have given me invaluable advice, opinions, insight, resources and the benefit of their experience. I am extremely appreciative of this and I try to reciprocate whenever I can.

Please let's keep this going.

dougr

Apr 24, 2014
Hunter 27 Detroit
I'm here with my Hunter 27 that I sail on Lake Saint Clair. As the third owner of a mostly original boat I have become sort of attached to it along with its old age issues. Currently I am replacing the leaky fuel line feed to Yanmar SB8 along with the other hoses.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I'm with dougr that I'm "attached to it along with its old age issues", I'm trying to get it fixed up so I can go on a cruise of the Chesapeake Bay as soon as life allows. I laughed to myself at one point that even if I won the lottery and could buy most any boat, I'd still want to fix my H27 up, just so I could sail it in it's glory. She's a shallow draft, tall rig model that is great for these waters.
Mattawoman Creek 23Sept2015-11-HDR-3000.jpg

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Yes, there was an H37C on craigslist that got me interested, but I'd still need to win the lottery to afford one. ;-)

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I'm visiting SBO less often, but always try to check in here when I do. Escaping on our '77 h27 is still our favorite summer activity (Summer = May-October). Love anchoring out in the Erie Islands. Chartered a new h36 in the North Channel this year with our best friends. Planning another "grand tour" of Lake Erie in '17.

Try to help on questions when I can.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
For those that are here, a status report.

Just ripped off shrink wrap which was put on to 'stall' this project during crucial period of professional changes and moving house. Discovered to great dismay that fresh Brightside had bubbled in certain places-- learning the lesson that when applying shrink wrap, DO NOT heat any part of the material that touches the boat. Heat it where it's spanning over air-- this'll shrink it enough to keep it taut. Mine was quite well done, lasted 22 months with only a change of the zipper door and some extra tape added... but I won't do it again after repainting (3rd coat) this season.

Diana's restoration moves apace. Could have had it done this summer, actually; but no reason to commission boat when I can't afford to keep her at a dock (and can't give up apartment for another winter anyway). Working in marine trade again; so buying materials at cost is the way to go. Angry about leaking deadlights in cabin sides (being responsible for having a tarp over middle of cabin); learned lesson about not using prepping solvent for Sikaflex. Will redo this before winter using Life Seal (recommended by BoatLife for this application).

So far:
  • Electrical system: done except for stereo, engine and gooseneck lights;
  • Plumbing: hooking up hoses now. Cracked frame of Whale Gusher black-water pump; have to figure out how to mend this.
  • Interior and exterior woodwork: everything's done, just has to be reinstalled;
  • Handrails: this is special. My dad drew scalloped handrails (like on the C44s) on his original 'display' drawing of the H25; I discovered this after I had already made them. Unfortunately mine ended with the usual return to the deck; my dad drew them dead-ending into the forward face of the compound-curved coaming. Now I have to cut off the ones I made, already finished, to be like those in the drawing. Kind of afraid to do this-- a lot of mental and physical exertion needed in doing it alone-- but, of course, it's the only way forward for me and this project. Now that the 'hurricane' is passed I can turn to it, this month.
  • Spar painting: owe it another coat or so and then done;
  • Engine: delayed doing this for above reasons; seriously thinking about inboard installation before long (not for near term);
  • Deck: needs paint and done;
  • Rig: need for Brad Linthicum to cut and swage new lower shrouds; using old lowers as running backstays and inner forestay for cutter rig. Have delayed this due to debating whether to buy fittings and send them to rigger or to just have him do the whole job himself;
  • Hardware: there is a whole list but nothing major. I've been buying up hardware for years.

The gods willing, this will all be done by November and then there's a winter's hibernation till commissioning time. It's not down to money at this point. It's down to the time. (The yard bill is another matter.)

Thanks to all for unending encouragement. I like surrounding myself with 'cheerleaders' (we artistic types are not strong self-starters); and the crowd in these boards amply fulfills that definition.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
John:

Always enjoy reading your Diana progress reports. She'll be a jewel when done and splashed!