Snake at the helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 New Hamburg, NY
Food

I think food is the key here .... remove everything edible ....

My freshman year in college, my roommate kept small snakes (garter??) in a terrarium in our room. Returning from spring break, he noticed one was missing. We were never able to find the thing.

A year later my stereo went on the fritz ... on opening the turntable up, I found the snake carcass ..... totally dessicated. No food ... no more snake!

P.S. I anonymously mailed him the remains. I hope he didn't think I was responsible for the demise of his pet.

Gaf

Dec 31, 2006
-O'Day 23' Kilmarnock
I can't find the words to explain how much I truly love this forum!

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
It was a one in a million chance encounter. Not going to ever happen again. Forget all about it.

As a kid, found a snake in the bathroom sink. Have no idea how it got there. I was the only child in the house, and it was no pet of mine.

That was fifty years ago, and in all those new moons, never seen another one.

I had a pawn shop years ago, and we used to take in anything legal. One day someone wanted to pawn a snake. We loaned him the money and in about a week, the enclosure got left open when we watered him. We closed the store, and it took two of us 4 hours to find the snake This was an 8 foot long snake. Got up inside a display case under a false bottom.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Just think of all the work you do on that boat without any help. This is a job for your wife or girl friend. It's like when you go SCUBA diving. I once came out of the water in Hawai'i and I had my dive knife attached to my leg. Someone asked me what the knife was for. I replied, "sharks". If I see sharks, I pull it out and cut my dive buddy (girl friend at the time) and the sharks go after her. Isn't this sort of the same thing?

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Boy, I really needed a laugh today and that was a good one. I just read that to my wife and she laughed so hard she, no, I better not say that. But she laughed really hard.

Jun 21, 2004
Oday 25 Sodus Bay, NY
:eek:Was cleaning out the cabin on my 23 foot O'Day when I turned and saw a Copperhead snake coming from the stern. I decided to vacate. It is on my trailer dry docked, cleaning and painting, so it is not in the water.
Any suggestions as to how to get the snake to leave the boat.
Thanks
Robert Sylvester
I think a rat loaded with poison might work...

Sep 2, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 New Hamburg, NY
Same Idea

Just think of all the work you do on that boat without any help. This is a job for your wife or girl friend. It's like when you go SCUBA diving. I once came out of the water in Hawai'i and I had my dive knife attached to my leg. Someone asked me what the knife was for. I replied, "sharks". If I see sharks, I pull it out and cut my dive buddy (girl friend at the time) and the sharks go after her. Isn't this sort of the same thing?
That's why, when I hike in grizzly bear country, I always take along somebody I don't like very much and who is slower than me. You can't outrun a griz, but then .... you don't have to.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Uncle Bill said:
I think a rat loaded with poison might work...
Sometimes the local pest control will know someone to come in and get it. Another good source would be a local zoo, aquarium, or even pet shop may know of an avid snake love- naturalist who could get him.

I know copperheads are very distinctive, or at least I thought they were until I saw a snake exhibit at appalachicola state park on the Appalachian trail. They have an exhibit of copperhead look-a-likes. I'm a country boy and we ate snakes for breakfast (jk)and I could not say for sure some of the look likes we're not copperheads. It sort'a hurt my pride.

Kordie

Aug 7, 2011
Beneteau 393 Cruising Baja
Perhaps a mongoose might help?

Or lock a cat down below for the weekend?

Feb 1, 2006
oday 22 on trailer Asheville NC
I love this forum post too, Gaf post 23. I like merlinuxo's post 18, tie down several big rat traps, use fireman416's big stick, post 14, and pound the b#@$^%d into snake heaven, bury him and THEN we can say mean things about him. Other humerous Post were, #10, 16, 21 and 27. I laughed so long and hard my cereal got soggy, but I did finish the banana.
Yeh, you can tell I am not a snake lover, poisonous ones that is. My recreation as a teenager in Palm Beach County, back in the late 40's, was to wade the local drainage canals and spear Cottonmouth water moccasins and cut off their heads with my big navy knife.

David S

Status
Not open for further replies.