Snake at the helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2006
-O'Day -23 beech lake
:eek:Was cleaning out the cabin on my 23 foot O'Day when I turned and saw a Copperhead snake coming from the stern. I decided to vacate. It is on my trailer dry docked, cleaning and painting, so it is not in the water.
Any suggestions as to how to get the snake to leave the boat.
Thanks
Robert Sylvester

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Know an Irish piper? :D

Wow, scary. I know there are those little snake repellent cubes you can get like at the local mega-home-improvement store in the lawn and garden section... I often wonder if they are not just moth balls, but anyway, I would try that...

Many years ago I was fishing with two friends. One was holding the other's infant daughter. A small, (10") snake was approaching the infant and friend, so I simply reached down to pick it up. I went to put it in the nearest container I had, (empty beer bottle) and when I went to put its head in, the fangs hung up on the lip of the bottle.... Small copperhead..... I had a cramp in my hands for weeks from squeezing that thing so tight trying to aasphyxiate it, and trying to make sure it didn't get its fangs in me..

Copperheads are mean. They WILL chase you and are agressive. Be careful...

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Use camphor , or moth balls in a plastic bag and pulverize them and sprinkle them where u think he is coming and going. Red

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
I would like to represent the snake in this situation. I would think, calm heads would mean all parties can keep theirs. The snake was equally surprised and repelled at the sight of a human wondering about.

By the time you have lunch and return to the boat, the snake should be long gone and never seen again.

If you two do cross paths again, a long stick like a broom handle can be used to gently remove the snake. The snake will not harm your boat and he/she was keeping the mice off your boat that do foul things up big time.

The snake has been going you a favor, so be polite to your boat guest and not harm her.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I would like to represent the snake in this situation. I would think, calm heads would mean all parties can keep theirs. The snake was equally surprised and repelled at the sight of a human wondering about.

By the time you have lunch and return to the boat, the snake should be long gone and never seen again.

If you two do cross paths again, a long stick like a broom handle can be used to gently remove the snake. The snake will not harm your boat and he/she was keeping the mice off your boat that do foul things up big time.

The snake has been going you a favor, so be polite to your boat guest and not harm her.
I will largely agree with you in most circumstances, but per the OP's comment this is supposedly a copperhead, a poisonous member of the Pit Viper family which includes all North American rattlesnakes, and is very aggressive. If it truly is a copperhead, he does not want it around his house!

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I would rent a Mongoose and stick him in the boat with the snake and let those two go at it.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Use a loop on a longish stick, with a screw-eye in the end. Works fine on the diamondbacks here, and doesn't kill them.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
moth balls

Use camphor , or moth balls in a plastic bag and pulverize them and sprinkle them where u think he is coming and going. Red
Moth balls are known to be an irritant to snakes and
small mamals. Also, moth ball flakes are sold. Be
genererous...

How are you going to find out if he is gone? Inquiring
minds want to know.

Ed K

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I'd have to burn the boat. Admiral would never set foot into it again. Almost happened to the house a few years back. Luckily I was able to shoot and remove it. Been 10 years and she hasn't been back in that room once. Still calls it the "Snake Room"

Jul 8, 2012
Helms 25 indiana
I agree with ward. bye bye boat:( dont mind eating some every now and then but I have a true fear of them. even gardner snakes. if it came down to it, Id use one of those claw things that some seniors use to get items off a shelf or something. good luck with whatever you do...

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
A Copperhead isn't (generally) aggressive unless cornered, they behave more like a gartner snake, least the ones I have seen. But you absolutely do not want to get bit by one. I would carefully open all compartments, doors, drawers, cabinets, and bomb the boat with a bug bomb. That should kill it. But you will still have to find it.

I'm curious how it got into the boat. They don't climb trees, so it didn't drop in.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
This is hilarious, if a bit scary!!!

Are you sure it is a copperhead? How long?
If it is big enough to eat small mammals I'll suggest you go and collect some recent road kill; squirrels, chipmunks or larger if you think the snake could swallow it.
Snakes have a pretty keen sense of smell with their tongues. If you left some road kill near the trailer/boat the snake might be interested in checking out a possible meal and leave your boat.
I also think that noise and vibrations would induce the snake to leave on it's own. You could set up a shop vac on the foredeck, poke the hose into the forward hatch or companionway and leave it for a few hours.
I also like the idea of dumping moth balls, or camphor in there as the smell alone might drive the snake out. Load the cabin up with stink and give it a day. It'll be gone in 24 hours.

No guaranties but worth trying before you use a bug bomb inside your boat. Why poison yourself too?

Then move north.

Sep 6, 2011
Oday 322 Hawkestone YC Lake Simcoe
I agree with the bag of moth balls approach. Just get up close enough and pound the little bastard until he retreats or is on his way to copper head heaven. I m sorry but I don't like snakes and Im sure they don't care much for me. Yes I know they have a purpose in this world but so do politicians and I don't wan them on my boat either....spiders are high on my hit list as well:)

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Baiting it might take a while. If it has just had a meal it could be weeks before its hungry again, especially if the weather is cool. And they prefer live animals, so some kind of live trap might work, if you want to wait it out. Again, I am more concerned with how it got into the boat, and if there is more than one.

I would put on some gear to make myself snake proof. Some heavy boots, jeans, heavy jacket, gloves, and start making a methodical search "carefully" opening compartments, probing with a long stick or rod. I would also look for internal access to any of those compartments where the snake could get in or out. Its gotta be in there somewhere.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Snakes alive! Its gotta be in there somewhere.

Baiting it might take a while. If it has just had a meal it could be weeks before its hungry again, especially if the weather is cool. And they prefer live animals, so some kind of live trap might work, if you want to wait it out. Again, I am more concerned with how it got into the boat, and if there is more than one.

I would put on some gear to make myself snake proof. Some heavy boots, jeans, heavy jacket, gloves, and start making a methodical search "carefully" opening compartments, probing with a long stick or rod. I would also look for internal access to any of those compartments where the snake could get in or out. Its gotta be in there somewhere.
--------------- // -----------------------

Robert,

We are waiting on your reply...

How many more have you found?

How are you going to look into some of
places under the cabin liner?

Have you considered a 'Rock Band'?

Ed K

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Even if he does leave on his own, how can you ever know for sure. I'm with your wife on this one.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I'd set a dozen or so rat traps. The big mean spring kind that just about chops the rat in half.
You'll know if/when you get it and we can say kind things about the little bastard after he's buried.

added: you can tie each trap to something to make sure it stays near to where it's set. Maybe add some sticky traps too.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I'd set a dozen or so rat traps. The big mean spring kind that just about chops the rat in half.
You'll know if/when you get it and we can say kind things about the little bastard after he's buried.

added: you can tie each trap to something to make sure it stays near to where it's set. Maybe add some sticky traps too.
I'll second that one. Too funny! I'd throw him overboard.

I think I'd be more concerned with how he managed to get on board in the first place. Did he crawl on board via a ramp from the dock? Was the boat moored near a tree with a low hanging branch, or did some nice fellow who doesn't like sailboaters throw him into the boat?

I wouldn't get rid of my boat because of a snake on board. What are the chances of this ever happening again?

I've heard of squirrels swimming in a river and getting on board sailboats via the mooring pendant line but never a poisonous snake.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
This is a tough one. I'd say hire a professional that has experience with snake removal. How many nooks and crannies do you think there are for a frightened snake to hide in? Left alone it may leave (how much food aka mice are on your boat?) but without a body count I would never stick my hand under the bunks again. I was upset when wasps built a nest somewhere under the cockpit (I still need to deal with them) but this is way worse. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.