Smart Switch bilge pump install

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
The Water Witch bilge switch on our boat has failed. I’m going to replace it with an Aqualarm Smart Switch. Wondering if anyone here has done that, and included the alarm and panel light that come with it? If so, where did you mount them and how did you run the wiring for it? Thanks!

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
That is the exact float switch I am currently running. We already have the wiring and the light. I put the alarm in the bilge since it's close to the bed. You can hear it through the floor boards no problem.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS

Attachments

Nov 16, 2012
That is the exact float switch I am currently running. We already have the wiring and the light. I put the alarm in the bilge since it's close to the bed. You can hear it through the floor boards no problem.
[EDIT] I was wrong about the wiring, see post #14 [EDIT]

I chose it based on your and Maine Sail’s recommendations!

No issue with the alarm in the bilge? I was thinking of just zip tying it to the wiring bundle.

The existing light on the electric panel only turns on when you flip the switch to manual from auto; at least that’s how mine is wired. To have the light come on in auto mode would require a wire from the bilge to the panel. Of course the light isn’t that important, I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
I installed the Aqualarm this spring. I used this wire color code to connect it correctly. My main panel had an override switch and light so i didn't need to use the LED provided. I mounted the bilge alarm siren on the side of my settee.

More info on my project
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/aqualarm-bilge-switch-wiring-question.195617/

Thanks. I’m guessing your light only comes on when you activate the override switch?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The existing light on the electric panel only turns on when you flip the switch to manual from auto; at least that’s how mine is wired. To have the light come on in auto mode would require a wire from the bilge to the panel. Of course the light isn’t that important, I guess.
That's how I did it. Same light now comes on in manual or automatic mode

Nov 16, 2012
That's how I did it. Same light now comes on in manual or automatic mode
Running the new wiring back to the panel on the C310 is a little fussy, so I may skip that part, although it might be nice to have the light come on in auto mode. The alarm on the Smart Switch makes it less important.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You don't need a wire going from the bilge for the light to work with either auto or manual. The light feed should come off the switch.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I chose it based on your and Maine Sail’s recommendations!

No issue with the alarm in the bilge? I was thinking of just zip tying it to the wiring bundle.

I screwed it to the bulkhead near the terminal block I put in. No issues but I do spray it down with T9 every 6 months. Been there for about a year.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Here is a pic of my switch ( top two)
E08286A8-C57D-490A-B12C-38B78F9B823F.jpeg
. I added the red lights above the yellow. Red=pump on Yellow=pump powered. They have covers so the don’t get turned off accidentally.

Nov 16, 2012
You don't need a wire going from the bilge for the light to work with either auto or manual. The light feed should come off the switch.

Not sure I understand how that can be. Unless you’ve got a circuit that detects current flow. Instructions have you wire the light to the + side of the pump, so it lites when the pump is running.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Here is a pic of my switch ( top two)View attachment 167585 . I added the red lights above the yellow. Red=pump on Yellow=pump powered. They have covers so the don’t get turned off accidentally.

I’ve got those covers too. But how are things wired? Is the yellow coming from the breaker? Unless you’ve got a wire coming back from the pump/switch you can’t tell when the pump is running (red).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
My bad. I was wrong. I just thought more about the wiring and the light will turn on in either auto or manual mode. That's because the light is normally wired to the manual side of the switch, which is directly connected to the + side of the pump. When the switch is in auto mode power goes to the smart switch, and then to the pump when the float lifts. Of course that puts 12 V on the manual side of the switch and the light turns on. So there's no need to run an additional wire at all.

May 20, 2016
I’ve got those covers too. But how are things wired? Is the yellow coming from the breaker? Unless you’ve got a wire coming back from the pump/switch you can’t tell when the pump is running (red).
Nope the red connects to the manual side of the switch. Yellow auto.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It should be wired so that the switch panel energizes the pump switch in auto, and bypasses the switch in manual. The light will come on when the pump is running, either manually or automatically.
When you have several pumps on board, it is useful to be able to look at your array of switch panels to tell which one is running.

May 20, 2016
When you have several pumps on board, it is useful to be able to look at your array of switch panels to tell which one is running.
The forward switch controls the aft pump and the aft switch controls the forward pump - obvious.

Nov 16, 2012
Don't you hate it when you say a bunch of stuff and then realize it's all wrong? Sorry for the confusion. This will be an easier job that I thought, even if I decide to install a terminal strip. :banghead:

Nov 16, 2012
The forward switch controls the aft pump and the aft switch controls the forward pump - obvious.
I didn't catch the two switches. Should probably finish my coffee before posting anything here!!