Small cheap depth finder

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Waterman: Wish I could help but do not know, nor have I tested Butyl tape. Chief

Mar 14, 2015
Morgan Heritage 38 Herring Bay
Waterman: Wish I could help but do not know, nor have I tested Butyl tape. Chief
Thanks Chief for your reply. My experience has been with thru hull transducers, but a couple years ago we had a transducer failure. I thought and Googled and found the PUCK. So I installed with mineral oil as suggested by manufacturer, easy install and it worked great. End of season (Chesapeake) I removed the Puck and cleaned out the mineral oil, we hauled and before launch in spring installed another thru hull transducer, but I keep the Puck as a back up. I have used butyl for many years, had access to Navy yard materials, great stuff. I never thought of using it for the Puck. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I am not an advocate of liquids because of possible leaks. Navy background as well. Trained in sonar many years ago at ET/A school, Great Lakes. Can't see putting a hole in your boat for a sonar transducer either since I am aware that they work fine mounted inside. Whatever works for you! Chief

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jerry, do a search here on "toilet bowl wax ring" there have been plenty of discussions about mounting one inside the hull. Most of those discussions include other methods, too.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
A ball of plumbers putty or a ball of butyl would function the same I would think.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
Look in the Oday 26 modification section of this site. I put info there on my small and inexpensive depth/fish finder installation. I have had it for 5years and works great.