Sliding cabin top falling out of slots

Jul 19, 2023
Catalina 27 Morro Bay
The sliding cabin top on my 1974 Catalina 27 sailboats no longer spans across far enough to stay in the slots in the wooden guides on each side. The wooden guides do not seem to have moved outwards at all from the original design. Nor do they seem to have excessive wear. It appears the fiberglass flanges on the cabin top have worn down. Any suggestions for fixes would be appreciated.
tempImageueMwSv.jpg

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Modify or replace the wooden tracks, or perhaps try to widen the hatch flange with a fiberglass or aluminum strip?

If the hatch comes free it would not be a terribly big job to sand off the gelcoat and build out the lip with cloth and epoxy. Perhaps on a glass table to create a flat lip extension.

Have you done glass work or do you have the tools to work with wood?

Jul 19, 2023
Catalina 27 Morro Bay
Modify or replace the wooden tracks, or perhaps try to widen the hatch flange with a fiberglass or aluminum strip?

If the hatch comes free it would not be a terribly big job to sand off the gelcoat and build out the lip with cloth and epoxy. Perhaps on a glass table to create a flat lip extension.

Have you done glass work or do you have the tools to work with wood?
I like the idea of building up and extending the fiberglass flange. It looks like the flanges need to be extended at least 1/2" on both sides of the hatch. I've done some fiberglass work. Looking at one of the other replies it appears there is a clear sheet separation material that would come in very handy during the clamping and curing phase. Could I use wax paper?

The idea of attaching an aluminum strap to extend each flange also seems attractive. Ideally, I'd find an aluminum channel that would slip over the flanges and be epoxied in place.