skimmer transducer

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Can a skimmer transducer work on a Sailboat?
I thought a skimmer was the thing on the side of a swimming pool that circulates the water...
I guess I don’t know what a skimmer transducer is let alone how it would work on a sailboat.
Like everything else either a description or a photo would help

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@thetone is this what you mean?

Skimmer. Transducer that skims the surface of the water. Transom mount transducers are an example of this type of transducer, as they are typically installed a little below the hull.
1582640988516.jpeg
If so, it may be possible to stick the unit against the inside of the hull using wax or putty. The issue on a sail boat,
  1. the transom usually is not flush with the water surface.
  2. The unit comes out of the water when the boat heels.
Out of the water the unit does not work.

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
@thetone is this what you mean?

Skimmer. Transducer that skims the surface of the water. Transom mount transducers are an example of this type of transducer, as they are typically installed a little below the hull.
View attachment 175385
If so, it may be possible to stick the unit against the inside of the hull using wax or putty. The issue on a sail boat,
  1. the transom usually is not flush with the water surface.
  2. The unit comes out of the water when the boat heels.
Out of the water the unit does not work.
Thanks! I thought that was the case. Someone on Amazon was trying to tell me it works on a Sailboat.

Oct 22, 2014
It is about how you use it.

On your hunter if you put in inside the hull in a location where it can transmit the sonar ping through the hull into the water it will work. You can test it placing the transponder in a bag of water on the location you think it might work. Plug it into the display/computer and see what is displayed. This skimmers are often designed for fishing boats and give the user depth, water temp, speed etc all through the sensor. On the inside of your hull you can get depth and the temperature of the hull but that is about it.

I think the inexpensive fish finders makes a good depth sensors for the average small boat. I used one on my M15, I sailed. Stuck a glob of beeswax to the hull. Stuck the sensor into the wax glob. Made sure there was no air between the hull and the sensor. Turned it on and it read 13 feet. Stuck a tape measure in the water and WOW.. 13 feet. (Adjusting for the 1 foot beneath the water location of the spot on the hull. ) Worked fine for me in shallow water. Much past 150 feet the signal got lost and did not matter. I was concerned about the shoals and rock within 5 ft of my keel/center board.

Oct 22, 2014
It really about understanding the tool you have and how to use it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Skimmer as in on the transom outside the boat? IDK. I had one on a runabout I had. It would work at planing speed and while trolling so I don't see why not. I remember adjusting it's depth with regard to the keel but that may have been to prevent its wake from spraying the engine with salt water.

Oct 22, 2014
@shemandr You are right about the runabout. Normally the runabout's transom bottom is beneath the water. Look at the transom of a Hunter 285 from Sailboat Data.
Hunter 285.JPG

If you attached the skimmer you would need a long extension to keep it below the water line on heel r even when the boat is level as the transom is up out of the water.

In addition too the "Appendage" dangling out their in the water there would be a cord attached dangling between the boat and the sensor, waiting to grab some ell grass or worse.

I think it is one of those "Sure you can do it, but why would you?" thoughts.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Go with hull mounted transducer in front of the keel, it's glued or epoxied to hull then filled with mineral oil.That is if you don't want to cut a hole.
If you mount it at the back ,your keel may be riding the ground before you see it coming.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I successfully used a Lowrance transom mount transducer, mounted inside the hull using silicone. Worked fine for depth/sonar, and the temperature was pretty close, just a little off because of the hull temperature changes.

• Helpful