Sirius 21 keel

Jun 2, 2021
Sirius 21 Beech Beach, Lake Huron
Hello I'm new to this site as well new to Sirius 21 swing keels. My question to the group is about the keel assembly, is there anything more to the keel assembly than just the pivot bolt and the pivot locking bolt above the pivot bolt. I find my keel is just hanging there very loosely. Should there be some ki g of nylon spacers or metal housing? Thank you.

Mar 28, 2021
Sirius 21 Pointe-Claire
I've asked a number of people about this as my keel bumps and thuds when chop is on the beam.
Apparently, all swing keels have a bit of play. I changed the cable on mine this year (and checked the eye-bolt where it attaches). I would like to check the pivot bolt, but it seems like a serious operation to lower the keel and a difficult one to put it back.
Some people with swing keels put in sacrificial plates or similar into the keel trunk area. What was recommended to me was to buy those plastic cutting boards from Ikea and attach them on either side of the trunk. That way the keel is rubbing or bumping on the plastic and not on the fibreglass of the trunk.

I would like to know if there are Sirius owners out there who have experience with a worn pivot bolt. Does it wear out?

Jun 2, 2021
I'm planning on checking my keels pivot bolt also in a couple days. Right now my boat is off the trailer up on stands for bottom paint so I'll lower the keel and make a wood frame to support it in place then pull the bolt. As this old boat is new to me I have the opportunity now to confirm its safe.

Mar 28, 2021
Sirius 21 Pointe-Claire
That sounds great. Please keep me posted as to the condition of the bolt so I know if it should be on my list for next season.

Jun 2, 2021
Ok so I left the keel up and used a car jack at the front of the keel to pick up the weight, then tapped the pivot bolt about 1/2 way out see image its a 5/8" bolt. Very little rust and little wear. Bit of a pain getting it back in, but if you stick your head in the storage compartment you can see the bolt alignment, I had to jacked the keel up a little and put wedges on both sides of the keel to line up the bolt.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2021
Also I used a large clamp on the flat part at the front of the keel to tip the keel you'll need to pull the clamp down if you're on port side lifting the keel parallel as it will drop to starboard when the bolt comes out of the starboad housing.

Attachments

Mar 28, 2021
Sirius 21 Pointe-Claire
Good to see the info and pictures. Seeing as how the bolt is in good shape, I think I won't worry about mine too much. At my club and the sail shop they said they've heard of cables failing, but never bolts - unless it had to do with someone running aground at speed.

Jun 2, 2021
Happy to share, as you see, you can service the bolt while on the trailer. While I was at it, I put heavy wheel bearing grease on the bolt and in the hole. Fingers crossed happy sailing :)

Jun 2, 2021
Hi all, I'm repairing/rebuildin the swing keel locking bolt area on my serius21 as there is just a 1-1/2" dia counter bore with a 3/8" center hole on both sides of the keel trunk. can anyone take a photo of what it should look like? Thanks

May 8, 2022
Sirius 21 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hello, do you still need that photo? I am a new Sirius 21 owner, and I need help with operating the swing keel. How do you lower the keel? I was able to crank up the keel slightly before launching the boat in the water, but now when I turn the winch the other way nothing happens. the winch handle simply rotates freely with no tension on it at all. Is there some kind of clutch/brake or a lever that needs to be moved? Any help would be appreciated.