Single handing

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The other item I have to purchase is a hand held radio. I am looking at one from West Marine, the one that floats, yellow in color. What type or kind of radio do you use?
Before you buy one, try it in the store. Why? My experience is that different brands have different quality of sound. If you can't hear it, it is useless. I found Standard Horizon had the best speakers for my ears, all of my West Marine radios were poor in that regard. Also, if you try it in the store you can begin to understand what used to be done with simple knobs have now become more tedious menu driven adjustments.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
When you sail, do you take along an area chart or do you use an app on your phone or some other device? I have seen people up here use both. I also have been advised never to use either one without a depth gage onboard and a compass.
The other item I have to purchase is a hand held radio. I am looking at one from West Marine, the one that floats, yellow in color. What type or kind of radio do you use?
Ric
I am on a lake with good cell coverage so I haven't yet looked at a radio. the Garmin that came with the boat did not have lake charts but I was able to add them for about a hundred dollars. I discovered yesterday that the Garmin alarms at any depth under 6.5 feet. I guess the previous owner set it up.

Feb 26, 2004
Where do you store your boat hook so it is handy when needed.
I have mine with its hook under the handrails laying on the deck in front of my dodger. Sure, I have to go forward to get it, but it's not like it's something I ever need in a hurry.
For years I had telescoping ones because I only used it to pick up dock lines (four) at my slip in San Francisco. I kept it in my port locker because when it was collapsed it fit in there; I extended it to grab the docklines. Now here in Biritish Columbia with bull rails, telescoping poles are useless to be able to hang onto anything or to push against. I switched to a stout, longer, single pole. I find it much safer.

Feb 26, 2004
I have looked over the Standard Horizon radios, which one did you get?
HX270S, but that was back in Dec. 2007, still working fine. I doubt if they make this model anymore. But my comment was particularly about the speakers. Uniden and WM models, even after WM stopped cloning Unidens, didn't work for my ears. Volume AND frequencies were the issues.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
With regard to hand held VHF radios when singlehanding I second Stu's advice to play with the menus in the store. I bought a HX 890 and despite spending hours configuring it I cannot make use of most bells and whistles while sailing. I simply haven't got time to ignore the boat while I f### around with the menus. Eventually, I'll get it - or maybe not. I miss the dials too. I especially miss that squelch dial. Now when a noisy unintelligible transmission comes in, I have to pick up the radio, leave the screen I'm on by selecting the squelch function and use the volume (Or was it channel?) up and down to adjust it. By the time I do that the transmission would likely be over. Not practical. Designed by some angry systems evil doer in a cubical in some desk farm. Not designed by a sailor or tested by one.

*The GPS is useless for single handed sailing. I may be able to use it for RC work to assist setting course lengths. I also can use the MOB to ping a starting line. I have used the compass which has SOG from the GPS.
* I use the duel scan. There is a triple scan but you have to go into the menus to set it up. It is not a toggle.
*The channel memory is kind of redundant. I did put in the channels I'll likely us. And you can scan them. I'm in Florida and some of those were used in NY. I'm not going to re-do them. There are 2 types of scan - Memory or priority. I think it is distinction without a difference.
* I did program the number from MMSI into it. But the Distress button is going to be too complicated for any stressful situation. It's not really something you can practice at home.
*The DSC is going to be too complicated to use. Maybe would be useful for RC work again but I would need to get every RC boat to re-program their radio. Prolly not going to happen. But it would be nice not to have to tell the whole racing fleet, parents and coaches that we pooched the start.
*Strobe?
*FM radio -please?
* I like the different charging options.

I wish I had just bought the simplest radio to use. I suggest before buying any radio (Or other electronics) download the manual and spend some time with it.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
A depth gage that the transducer remains inside of the boat’s hull, what is it called? When I go to West Marine, I am not sure just what to search for.
Is there one you like better than another? Is there an optimal size for the display gauge I should be looking for? Is in fact a larger display better? It appears they come with color display, is that better than monochrome?
Thanks
Ric

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Being older I like larger numbers. And I'd prefer less clutter on the screen. I think they all use the same Airmark transducers so the brand is just for the display. I never had color for my depth, speed, wind speed and direction. Never missed color. I did have a color display for my RayMarine C-60 (Not sure of the model) which I liked because it showed blue vs. white depth like on a chart.
The transducer terms can confuse: There are transom mounted, mounted in a thru-hull and shoot through the hull (No thru-hull). I don't know if the latter is correct terminology either. I have had all three. The Thru-hull was my fav. The transom mounted. created a lot of splash on my outboard (Runabout). The Shoot through the hull would crap out in shallow water. Mine was mounted in oil and in general pretty accurate. But when really needed it wasn't always there.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Two items:
1. I am looking at making my own boat hook. They appear to be somewhere between 6’ to 8’ in length. If I purchase a hook for the end of the pole. Can I fill the hook with plaster Paris so I can get the exact or close to exact taper for the end of the pole? Is there a better way of getting the hook taper for the pole. When installing the hook, would it be prudent to epoxy the hook and then screw it onto the pole?
2. Do any of you use a solar panel to power you instruments while under sail? If so, what size panel do you use? Do you have a solid panel or a flexible one that rolls up? Is it permanently installed or do you lay it out on the cabin top every time you go out?
Thanks
Ric

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Can I fill the hook with plaster Paris so I can get the exact or close to exact taper for the end of the pole? Is there a better way of getting the hook taper for the pole. When installing the hook, would it be prudent to epoxy the hook and then screw it onto the pole?
Why not? A plaster mold will make exact measurements easier. However, if you're thinking of epoxy, you probably don't need to be that exact.

Here's a neat jig I came across that should give you a great taper.
22cfd0e3fc390720db54bfd77bf04ca2.jpg

-Will

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
Do most of you keep a sailing log book? You note date, time out and time in? Anything else?
Will, I love your tapering gig!!
Thank You
Ric

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Do most of you keep a sailing log book? You note date, time out and time in? Anything else?
Conditions: wind, temp, sea state, destination, course and speed, crew, any maintenance, encounters that seem important: pirates, floating barrels of rum..."

-Will

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
At the beginning of an underway I log date/time, engine hours, generator hours, who is on board, destination, general weather conditons, sail configuration, any fuel added and anything special that I feel like logging (like spotted sea turtle off Haig Pt, etc.) When I get back in I log date/time, engine hours, and generator hours. I use the same log for maintenance and repair items as well as oil changes, filter replacemnts, zinc replacement, fueling gals, pump outs parts repair or replacement and any major improvements (like adding tank level indicator) if any, etc. That way I have it all together. I have a Weems & Plath log but any bound notebook (not loose leaf) would be fine.

Feb 26, 2004
Stu
How long is your boat hook?
Longer than your telescoping one?
Ric
Probably about six feet. Yes, longer than my old collapsing one which would go five feet extended. Any boat hook that is too short is useless. Longer is better.

I just checked the WM online, WM makes a 6' long one, Garelick has an 8 footer.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You could probably find a log template online somewhere, but just use a nice notebook that feels good to you; practical, fancy, home made, professional or anywhere in between. There are no regulations for non-commercial sailors. It is good to keep one, though.

-Will

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
For the logbook I use a Google spreadsheet. That way I can fill it out at my convenience and I can always look back over it whenever and wherever I want. My columns are date, times, total hours spent, hours spent on the water, engine hours, engine chronometer reading, hours on sails, miles travelled, maintenance / supplies, to/from, weather, crew, and notes. You could probably make due with less than that but I like having lots of data to keep metrics on things like how many hours are on the sails.

For the boat hook, just remember there are times when you might be pulling on it rather hard, and having it come apart would be pretty surprising and potentially dangerous. Probably not as big of a deal with a 19’ boat as a heavier displacement one, but a consideration nonetheless.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
I just had the boat bottom paint repainted. With the paint, Mike replaced the keel line because of age and wear. He also noted a lot of Zebra Muscles in the keel locker. Is that something I will clean once a year upon taking it out of the water in the Fall?
Once in the water in the Spring, if the Marina is deep enough, do I need to raise and lower the keel during the sailing season?
Thanks
Ric