Single handing

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I put a pool chlorine tablet in when I splash in the spring. About a week before pull out in the fall, I push the water out of tank using air mattress pump and refill with fresh lake water. At pullout there is no smell.

Andy

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
If I am understanding you correctly, a week before “pull out” you take a mattress pump, open the ballast tank, pump air into the tank until it is empty, then let it refill with fresh water. Is it possible to use an air compressor to fill the tank with air, or is that to much pressure? Did you ever think about using bleach, might it have adverse effects on the ballast tank?
Thanks
Ric

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
The 12 volt air mattress pump is high volume but low pressure. It will push out the ballast on my 150 gal tank in 5 or 6 minutes. An air compressor has too high pressure in my opinion. I suppose you could use bleach but I wouldn't care for using the liquid. I find the chlorine tables to be very convenient and keep them in a zip lock bag on the boat. I take the boat out occasionally to take on vacation and the tablets are easy to use.

Andy

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
I made a new tiller, the old one was 1 1/4” aluminum tubing. I laminated Silver Maple and dark brown Cedar using the old tiller as a bending pattern. I am thinking about putting a joint in the middle of the tiller. That way I can fold it back onto the stern pulpit to get it out of the way.
Is that a good or bad idea?
Thanks
Ric

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
High pressure pumps will break the seal of the water ballast lid. Top dealer for the 26 and involved in the design of your boat. I would urge anyone using a pump of any kind to double check the pressure.

• Helpful
Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Dave
How much pressure is to much pressure? Or is any pressure in the tank to much because it is not designed to be pressurized?
Thank You
Ric

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
I am looking at installing a depth gauge. One that does not require putting a hole in the hull. Are they all about the same or are there differences in models? What am I looking for? I am contemplating installing it on a articulating arm inside the cockpit and swing it into the companionway while I am sailing. That way I do not have to cut a mounting hole in the cockpit.
Thanks
Ric

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A lead line
1636386524249.png

No hole in the hull, unless you're using it wrong. Stows most anywhere out of the way when not in use.

-Will

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I am looking at installing a depth gauge. One that does not require putting a hole in the hull. Are they all about the same or are there differences in models? What am I looking for? I am contemplating installing it on a articulating arm inside the cockpit and swing it into the companionway while I am sailing. That way I do not have to cut a mounting hole in the cockpit.
Thanks
Ric
Search the forum on it. Many of us just embedded the transducer in toilet bowl ring wax

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@WI Rigger
The placement of the transducer should be in the rear underneath the rear berth near the bulge pump. Take the transducer placing it against the hull and pencil in the face. Then sand smooth down to the fiberglass removing the white gel. Apply plumber’s putty onto the surface and bed the face of the transducer into the putty. Make sure it is embedded in a lot of the putty so there is no air space between the face of the transducer face and hull. The transducer can shoot thru the hull regardless of any paint on the bottom of the hull. Let it sit and dry for over 24 hours. It works.

I have seen swing away devices used attached or affixed to the interior of the companionway wall either side but suggest the starboard side as you have easier access to the DC panel.

• Helpful
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Did a variation of Dave’s recommendation on my Hunter 33.5. Sanded the interior surface & epoxied a PVC reducing coupling, that was same diameter as the transducer, to the Hull. Filled the coupling to the top with mineral oil and fitted the transducer coated with plumbers putty into the top of the PVC coupling. Saw it in SAIL Magazine years ago. Worked well.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Did a variation of Dave’s recommendation on my Hunter 33.5. Sanded the interior surface & epoxied a PVC reducing coupling, that was same diameter as the transducer, to the Hull. Filled the coupling to the top with mineral oil and fitted the transducer coated with plumbers putty into the top of the PVC coupling. Saw it in SAIL Magazine years ago. Worked well.
That's the Cadillac method :thumbup:

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Filled the coupling to the top with mineral oil and fitted the transducer coated with plumbers putty into the top of the PVC coupling. Saw it in SAIL Magazine years ago. Worked well.
I just don't get it. Where did this oil, antifreeze, whatever other liquid you can find, idea come from in the first place ?

Years ago I helped a buddy install an inside depth transducer in a big blob of silicone and let it set for few days. In our travels, we compared the performance of our two depth sounders (mine external and his internal) and never found any difference between them in readout. There's no need for a sloppy liquid in there.

Apply plumber’s putty onto the surface and bed the face of the transducer into the putty.
Everyone on SBO who's used plumber's putty also seem perfectly satisfied.

That's the Cadillac method :thumbup:
How did you compare this method to an external depth transducer ?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It's not a comparison of an external mount. The OP wants one inside
But aren't you agreeing that mounting the transducer in a puddle of liquid is "the Cadillac method" as opposed to mounting it in a solid, both being inside the hull ?