Single-handing a Catalina 310?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I single hand my 30 all the time with what sounds like the same set up. A bow thruster would be a anxiety reliever for sure. I try to consider things that would make life safer when things get hanky while alone. My response to this is a jackline and harness integrated PFD that I set up/ wear and use every time I’m alone. I also carry my waterproof IPhone in a zippered pocket. I installed lazy jacks and have them up and tight after the main is raised. This has saved me a couple times allowing to drop the main in high winds and keeping it from flogging around. Practicing reefing the main is another one that helps in keeping my “ on deck” time to a minimum when conditions are not the best.

Aug 23, 2020
Catalina 310 323 Mamaroneck
Single-handing a Catalina 310 while sailing is easy, even if the first time is nerve-racking. I did it for the first time within weeks of buying mine and it was my first sailboat. Close quarters, on the other hand, is harder but still just a matter of practice. Watch videos, read books and maybe even take an in-person class (my wife and I took a weekend-long class in the Chesapeake at the Maryland School of Sailing and Seamanship with two of our adult children and it was a game-changer). You could also hire an experienced skipper for a day to practice with you. Practice in an uncrowded area by approaching a buoy under power from different wind/current directions to get a feel for momentum, speed, prop-walk, etc. and practice some more. Just like driving in snow, the single most important thing is to take everything as slowly as you can. Good luck!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Consider moving the traveler lines back behind the wheel with a block/cleat to the stern pulpit. Even in a heavy puff you will have complete control. I ran a trot line from my forward pilings to the dock to keep the boat mostly centered when coming in alone in adverse current. IMG_2808.JPGIMG_2809.JPG

Attachments

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
When I had my 310 I did modest afternoon sails in wind conditions that were predicted at less than 15 knots. The docking was always the most interesting part, but like all things with practice it got easier. The one item that I wish I had on the boat was autopilot. I used the wheel brake to hold the line while bringing lines in / out or pre-tack setup - as the brake was not in best shape it created a few challenging moments. Most importantly doing these solo sails significantly boosted my sailing confidence.
Enjoy