single handed - cat 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
used to my 25 smaller cockpit with controls at my fingertips (end boom main, traveler on transom) which is obviously simple for single handed. looking to buy cat 30; assume won't be an issue after sailing a bit but concerned with the mid boom main/traveler while single handed. (have no intention of a hunter but the setup on a few i've sailed with aft traveler and jib winches was helpful)

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
used to my 25 smaller cockpit with controls at my fingertips (end boom main, traveler on transom) which is obviously simple for single handed. looking to buy cat 30; assume won't be an issue after sailing a bit but concerned with the mid boom main/traveler while single handed. (have no intention of a hunter but the setup on a few i've sailed with aft traveler and jib winches was helpful)
Auto Pilot

:D

Randy

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Single handed sailing on any boat

requires preparation and understanding of controls. I used to have a C25, too, and having the mainsheet right at hand was a luxury we don't find on our bigger boats.

I did a search on single handed on this forum. Try it.

Here's one with exactly the same ? you have!!!: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=557802&highlight=single handed

We've also had discussions on other boards, like this one: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5445.0.html This is applicable because our C34s and your C30 have similar cockpit and control layouts.

You have to change you rway of thinking

to: 1st: feather up into the wind; and 2nd only then dump the traveler NOT the mainsheet because it's harder to get the mainsheet back

Learn how to steer from in front of the wheel. Get away from being a slave to the "behind the wheel" concept.

Last edited:

JIM B

Jun 27, 2006
Catalina 30 MKII ROOSEVELT AZ
Ditto the previous responses. In addition to an auto pilot and steering from in front of the wheel I have found long traveler lines to be convient. Long enough so that when you are behind the wheel you can still dump the main. After you get more comfortable with the C30 I think you will find it is often easier to single hand than the 25.
Good luck and have fun - the C30 is a great boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.