Simple head plumbing

Jun 15, 2015
Hunter 31 Port San Luis
Hello everyone,

With my boat finally on the hard and having its bottom done along with all new thru-hulls I am looking to simplify our head plumbing. I am wondering what many of you are using by way of a simple system?

Our current system I believe is over complicated. Head discharge to a Y valve that sends it either to the holding tank or to another Y valve that then sends it who knows where but which I think is used to vent the system.

I am thinking of simply re-plumbing the head to go directly into the holding tank and then have the holding tank go through a vented loop to the discharge thru-hull thus removing one of the existing Y valves completely.

If any of you have any plans or photos of your simple systems I'd love to see them.

I have attached a photo of my existing system.

Thanks.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Your description omits a pump-out option which doesn’t complicate much other than adding a line to/from the tank. There are some simple to follow diagrams on the WM site as well as from a google search.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
The options to send it a holding tank, overboard, or to a deck fitting are nice, a lot of municipalities will demand you a seal an overboard discharge, but for boat's transiting the oceans, it is mostly necessary.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Our current system I believe is over complicated. Head discharge to a Y valve that sends it either to the holding tank or to another Y valve that then sends it who knows where but which I think is used to vent the system.
Without seeing a diagram, I dunno where the hose off the 2nd y-valve goes, but I do know it doesn't go to a vent. The only vent line is a smaller hose that comes off the top of the tank and goes straight (if not straight, it needs to be) to the vent thru-hull that's prob'ly just below the toe rail. And while you're having thru-hulls replaced, replace that "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead (aka "mushroom") thru-hull . I'll explain why later.

Your plan to go straight to the tank is good...unless you plan to do a lot of blue water cruising in waters where you'd be able to to flush directly overboard.

I'll be glad to help you spec out a system that's uncomplicated and makes sense...you only have to ask. Meanwhile, at the risk of appearing self-serving, I agree with Dave: you'll find my book very helpful.

--Peggie

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Originally, that boat was set up like mine, from the factory.. The head goes straight to the holding tank; the holding tank discharge goes to a hand diaphragm pump, through a high vented loop then to the discharge thru-hull. The other leg of a tee on the holding tank discharge goes to the deck pump out fitting.. I have been comfortable with that setup; the only valve is the thru hull.
Here is the manual. Scroll down a bit for the plumbing diagrams..

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A fellow sailor has a very simple system that he calls dump and chuck. Certainly not my style, but seems to suit his fancy. I suppose nothing more than a bucket, but just guessing here.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
That is without doubt the most mysterious and seemingly unnecessary bit of plumbing I've ever seen, cannot imagine any possible need for TWO wye valves back to back on the discharge line for ONE head. Get Peggy's book and try to figure that mess out.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
What do you do if your tank is full and you have no overboard discharge capability? Keeping that option might be a good idea - just in case.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
I have the head (has a macerating pump) plumbed directly to the holding tank, pump out above tank, ball valve on bottom of tank that connects straight down to a seacock (gravity overboard discharge). Ball valve keeps hose to seacock clear when not using. Absolutely bullet proof, but I’m lucky in that tank is just above waterline above a through hull. Vented loop on head from intake pump to bowl as per raritan, no others needed; tank is obviously vented. All hose Peggie approved, a must (I have her book and highly recommend it).

When discharging is ok- leave gravity discharge open and it goes right out. Not ok? Close it and tank fills. Easy.

Last edited:

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Basically all you need to do is get (and read) Peggie’s book, figure out your plan, then ask her to review it (which she will kindly do). She knows her stuff and you will too after reading her book.

I would also recommend Don Casey’s book as well for general repairs.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2015
Hunter 31 Port San Luis
Thanks for the info folks. To clarify I intend to keep a pump out option on the deck as it were. As of right now I am thinking, head straight to holding tank by way of vented loop. Tank to new macerator pump to out thru hull (do I need another vented loop here? I have a spare) and have a deck pump out option somehwere. I assume i would want the Y valve between the tank out and the deck pump out? I will be reaching out to Peggy now.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You'll prob'ly need a vented loop between the overboard discharge pump and the thru-hull. If all flushes will go to the tank, you won't need one in the line from the toilet to the tank. However, you MIGHT need a loop--just a loop, not vented--if it's an uphill run from the toilet to the tank. Where to put it matters...I'll help you get it right.

--Peggie