Silent cabin fan

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Anyone know of a really good and really silent 12V fan to move some warm air around the cabin? All the marine cabin fans are quite loud.

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Caframo Scirocco is really a nice quiet fan. West Marine has em on sale occasionally for an almost reasonable price. Other Caframo fans are quiet as well but I like the 3 speeds and the timer that is built into the Scirocco.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Caframo Scirocco is really a nice quiet fan. West Marine has em on sale occasionally for an almost reasonable price. Other Caframo fans are quiet as well but I like the 3 speeds and the timer that is built into the Scirocco.
:plus:

Use them in both boats for cooling in the V-Berth. Draw .210 amps or 210 mA on low. We have hardly ever run them on medium (.27 amps) or high (.34 amps). The other nice feature that "kloudie1 mentioned is the 2,4, 6 and 8 hour timer setting. We usually run them for 2 hours to get to sleep and if we wake up later and are hot, just reached up and pushed the button for another couple hours. You won't find another fan that will move so much air quietly on so little electricity.

We use the 2 speed in the cabin during the day but don't like them as much, but still better than anything else you can find out there. Here is a link to another 'fan post' on here.....

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/12v-fans.141195/

Sumner
===============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We use the o2 cool 12 volt 10" box fans. They have multiple power options, use less juice than the fans mentioned above and are way cheaper. They are considerably quieter than our 2 Caframo fans, as well. Some last about 2 years of constant use, others more by a long shot; I don't know why.
We mounted one on the overhead of the guest cabin and have several others hung in various ways in several hatches.
As I like a bit of breeze over my face when I sleep, I've mounted a computer cooling fan right there by the bed. It certainly does the job, but it is a tiny bit noisier than the o2 fans. I'm sure that they have quieter ones; it's just a matter of internet shopping I think.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
A wind scoop over our forward hatch in the v-berth provides pleasant, water temperature air flow through our whole cabin.

For me, fans are for the dock, or an aft cabin.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Small Vornado fans make almost no noice and circulate a lot of air...their heaters are also silent....Pat

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A wind scoop over our forward hatch in the v-berth provides pleasant, water temperature air flow through our whole cabin.

For me, fans are for the dock, or an aft cabin.
Says someone who lives in a place with an annual temperature of 51.3 degrees! lol
I can't even get the boat that cool with a couple of her 3 AC units running, in 86 degrees w/80% humidity.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Says someone who lives in a place with an annual temperature of 51.3 degrees! lol
Or when the normally steady Tradewinds (still 85+ degrees) die off to a dead calm...

JCall

May 3, 2016
Macgregor 26D Ceasars Creek
“Says someone who lives in a place with an annual temperature of 51.3 degrees! lol
I can't even get the boat that cool with a couple of her 3 AC units running, in 86 degrees w/80% humidity.”
“Or when the normally steady Tradewinds (Still 85+ degrees) die off in a dead calm”

Capta and NotCook, are you two looking for sympathy from those who live in the frozen North?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In David's defense, Sandusky in the sailing season can be very hot. You can't really count the winter months when no one cruises for that average temperature. And they haven't seen any trade winds. When they get wind it's just before all hell breaks loose, or just after.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
No.....I need to read a little more carefully.....all plug in...we have 12 volt fans in the v-berth, the ones mentioned above
but they are not great air movers. sorry for the misunderstanding....Pat

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
I am admittedly a bit of a dreamer (not always congenial to the median straight-forward engineer attitude in this forum!), but has anyone ever designed a highly integrated air circulation system into a boat? Possibly one that approaches true silence?

I am thinking mostly to circulate temperature gradients within the boat but also possibly fresh and stale air from outside to inside the boat.

See photo of my Catalina 30 concept. I know this is "over-engineering," but are manufacturers doing this sort of thing on newer boats? Or are they all just using forced-air or hot water baseboard heating/cooling systems that accomplish the same task?

Attachments

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
We had our bathroom re-done several years ago and had a new vent fan installed that reduces the noise of the fan by placing the fan & motor up in the attic on the rafters several feet away, which is probably not practical for a boat. For computers they install bigger fans in the rear of the case and then just run them slowly enough that they don't make as much noise, while moving the same amount of air.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I've been a fan of the old Hella fans. They used to be considered "quiet". I find them fine that way except when some of tje, get a warble after a four of five years of frequent use. They certainly move air. If you don't move air, you have the "Sounds of Silence". Their only other issue that I've found: If don't cycle the two stage switches often, they seem to get balky, you use the switches (some of ours don't get used very often, we have 7 on the boat).

I don't know the Caframo units from personal experience.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Capta and NotCook, are you two looking for sympathy from those who live in the frozen North?
Well, I certainly can’t speak for Capta, but in my case yes, of course! Is it working? You don’t feel sorry for us?

Actually, we spent our first decade sailing those same waters as David, in Sandusky and Lorain. It definitely gets hot during those months of July and August. You also get to enjoy the mosquitoes and Muffle Heads. Good news is the season is only 3-4 months long before you start haulouts and winterizing...

Last edited: