Significant hull deflection indented near bunks - Hunter 26

May 9, 2023
hunter 26 Toronto
I am looking at purchasing a 1995 hunter 26.

Upon inspection I see two sizeable indents in the hull close to the supports of the bunks on the trailer.

Its hard to capture in the photos but I believe it’s about 2 or 3 inches indented.

These indents don’t appear on the other side of the boat.

I think likely the bunk rotted or was improperly set.

Is this a common issue on these boats? How serious should we take this problem? Should we walk away?

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Probably caused by improper storage on the trailer allowing the boat to rest on the hull rather than the keel.
Generally, this deformity dissipates once the boat is launched if it stays the water a while.

Aug 1, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Lake Rathbun
I store mine with centerboard resting down in the tray but in these water ballasted boats I believe the centerboard is relatively light so would not matter if stored in up position. Not sure what could have caused that as the bunks look to be about right to me. Could it have been stored with out emptying ballast tank?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Wondering if it was not pulled all the way up to the bow chock and the winch strap over tightened

May 9, 2023
hunter 26 Toronto
Thanks! I did chat with Dave and he had a lot of good suggestions.

We ended up passing on the boat. There were additional issues and the owner wasn’t very flexible on the price.

Feb 25, 2014
Hunter Hunter 30 Lake Lanier
I have a flat section on the bottom of my boat under the head. When I contacted Hunter, they said it must be from a boat stand. At the marina where boats can be worked on, they are not near this area. I believe the flat area is from the initial manufacturing of the boat. It's a 1992 Hunter 30.

The bottom is strong and not flexing, so I am not worried.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@ChrisHunter

I think you want to place your question on Ask A Hunter Owner. A photo would help to see what you are talking about; however, it is possible the hull is deformed by a jack stand with little or no harm.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I spoke with the fellow about the hull issue. Hunter originally designed the original hunter 26 trailer with only three supports for the bunk boards which were too short. The trailer was elongated with longer bunk boards and four support posts on each side. I did say the hull deflection would work itself out but I would work with him on revamping that trailer. However, I advised him to put that boat in the water to check for leaks. Never heard back other his response to pass on the boat