Shut Down Procedure

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
1989 Catalina 30
The Universal Diesel Engine Manual states that the M-25XP has a separate stop lever for shutting down the engine.
It also states do not use the decompression lever to stop the engine .
I'm sure I'm missing something simple but I only see one knob. Is this the shut-off or decompression lever.
Feel free to bust my chops as you answer.

Attachments

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I've never owned a Catalina 30 but I'll take a wild guess and say that big silver knob is the fuel shut off to stop the engine. I've never seen a de-compression lever in the cockpit of a boat and neither my Universal M-12 nor my Perkins 4-108 have a de-compression lever.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Decompression lever should be close to the engine. My guess is that the knob near your engine panel is the stop lever - should stop fuel from flowing to the engine.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i do own mx25. just open engine and lft the rod that controls the throttle. if you're not sure have someone jiggle the tr throttle lever from the cockpit as you watch the top of engine.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
I can tell you just about anything you need to know about the M-25 series. The cockpit panel has the pull knob on the cable that controls the fuel rail. OEM, Catalina installed a black T handle cable — a PO night have replaced a failed one w/what looks to be a carburetor choke cable.

The compression release is a spring loaded lever on the back end of the head cover (valve/rocker arm cover in USA terms). You don’t use that one to shut down. One of its purposes is to spin the engine quickly if your battery is down ( close it while spinning and hope she starts.). Check the spring on the lever — the hook has a tendency to come off one end.

C’mon over and join in on the International Catalina 30 Association forum and connect with 1,600 C-30 experts (fellow owners) there as well.
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30

If you look (in the oil dipstick hatch) on the engine stbd side near the front, you will see the (labelled) “STOP” lever that the cockpit cable actuates to shut ‘er down.

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
I can tell you just about anything you need to know about the M-25 series. The cockpit panel has the pull knob on the cable that controls the fuel rail. OEM, Catalina installed a black T handle cable — a PO night have replaced a failed one w/what looks to be a carburetor choke cable.

The compression release is a spring loaded lever on the back end of the head cover (valve/rocker arm cover in USA terms). You don’t use that one to shut down. One of its purposes is to spin the engine quickly if your battery is down ( close it while spinning and hope she starts.). Check the spring on the lever — the hook has a tendency to come off one end.

C’mon over and join in on the International Catalina 30 Association forum and connect with 1,600 C-30 experts (fellow owners) there as well.
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30

If you look (in the oil dipstick hatch) on the engine stbd side near the front, you will see the (labelled) “STOP” lever that the cockpit cable actuates to shut ‘er down.
Will join
Thanks for the help

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Great see you there.
If you’re not a member consider joining and supporting the IC30A.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
It appears that you have a Mk2 C30 like my 1988 tall rig / bow sprit. The knob on your engine panel is the fuel cutoff for shutting down the engine. The decompression lever is about 3" long at the rear of the engine on the starboard side. To test it to see if it works, have someone hold the lever open (against the spring pressure) and crank the engine. It should spin smoothing without the normal surging you get from the compression stroke on a 3-cylinder engine.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
So speaking of shutdown procedures, how many follow the recommended steps? This is from Yanmar. I imagine all diesels behave the same.

SHUTTING DOWN THE ENGINE

NOTICE: NEVER stop engine abruptly during operation. Yanmar recommends that when shutting the engine down, allow the engine to run, without load, for 5 minutes. This will allow the engine components that operate at high temperatures, such as the exhaust system, to cool slightly before the engine is shut down.
1. Reduce engine speed to low idle and put remote control handle in NEUTRAL.
I do this when I bring her into the slip. The momentum carries me in.
2. Accelerate from low speed to high speed and repeat five times. This will clean out the carbon from the cylinders and the fuel injection nozzles.
I never think to do this.
3. Allow engine to run at low speed (approximately 1000 rpm) without load for 5 minutes.
Need to do this longer
4. With the key in the ON position, push and hold the STOP button (Figure 3, (1)). After the engine has stopped, turn the key switch to OFF. Note: Continue to hold the STOP button in until the engine is completely stopped. If the button is released before the engine has completely stopped, it may restart. If the engine does not shut down, see Emergency Shutdown on page 41 .
Stop button first. Key second. I got that right!
5. Remove the key and cover the key switch with the moisture cap.
I have a canvas cover over the panel.
6. Turn off the battery master switch (if equipped).
I don't do this.
7. Close the fuel cock.
I never close the fuel cock. It is buried down in the laz on my tank. Maybe I should add one near the filter.
8. Close the seacock (if equipped).
I always do this.
NOTICE: ALWAYS close the seacock. Neglecting to close the seacock could allow water to leak into the boat and may cause it to sink.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to the forum @Jac123 ! So you bought Proud Mary! @Ward H almost had her under contract but the owner changed his mind about selling. He eventually found another Catalina 30 to purchase. Perhaps we will see you on the Bay this summer! It looks like you moved her to a new home.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
sorry, i thought you knew about the cockpit pullnand gave you an alternate

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
When we bought our boat with an M25 engine, I went to the TOAD website and downloaded the engine photos, which showed all the parts.