"shroud covers"?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Here's a question I've not seen discussed....boat came with what I would call shroud covers, small, slit pvc tubes that wrap the shrouds tightly, presumably to protect the foresail.

Seems to me these things retain moisture (salt in my case) and may do more harm than good. Finally got around to tuning the rig today, noticed those shrouds with these covers remaining are somewhat discolored (not rusted), others are still shiny stainless.
(Not speaking of the 3-4 ft of 1" pvc pipe at the bottom of the shrouds, I get that purpose.)

thoughts?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Well, yes, spreader boots are intended to protect the foresail from being damaged by the spreader tips. My only thought is: what is the purpose for 3-4' of 1" pvc pipe used as a shroud cover ?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Ted, not speaking of spreader boots, the pvc pipe protects the foresail from hanging up on the turnbuckles/cotter pins, etc., I see that a lot on C22's and others (more like 2-3')...its the "shroud covers" I'm questioning....will post some pics nxt trip to the boat to clarify...

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
@rpludwig definitely try and get us perspective if you can-- formally of the saltwater (Bay Area) sailor I would generally agree-- get rid of anything that traps moisture/salt where applicable. And to everyone's point-- sail protection is legit, but it sounds like you might have a case of overkill going on?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Now it's dawned on me, cable covers I think they are called made by Davis, supposed to protect sail from black marks and the shroud itself. I think most people have concluded as you that they trap more moisture and cut off the oxygen to SS that they are more of a detriment. They look good when fresh tho' don't they.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
whatever they're called, they're coming off tomorrow!...will post some pics...

...and rather than start another thread but shroud related, bought this C22 in 2016, sailed it and enjoyed it as rigged by PO since. Noticed the fwd lower shrouds were particularly slack. Finally got around to buying a Loos gauge model PT1 and tuned the rig tday.

Followed the excellent thread and links from LR, found all were WAY outta spec, esp. fwd & aft lowers, reading 5-10 on the gauge, and should be ~20-21. Not a racer, just a casual cruiser, but 2 cents, at least from a safety standpoint, invest in a Loos and tune your rig appropriately.

Guilty here of not doing it for too long....many folks here "tune by feel"...I don't have that knowledge, feel, luxury or ability, plenty of racers do...fwiw

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019
Catalina 22 12640 Rose City Yacht Club
A Loos gauge was one of the first "upgrades" I bought for my boat, and I'm so glad I did it. I love the peace of mind knowing the shrouds are set to an appropriate tension. I don't use it all that often, but I very much appreciate having it when I do.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If you plan on sailing for the next few years at least - the gauge gives a lot of peace of mind. Not much cost if you factor it over a few years. The gauge itself should last a lifetime I'd think.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I used to use them for many years... mostly they allege to protect the job/genoa sheets from chafing around the clock while the boat sits with headsail furled... in theory that is... but I've stopped using them, and notice no significant difference in line chafing after a few years. I think it would take 50 years of normal usage for the shroud to chafe through my genoa sheets... and the sheets will by long gone by then. Similar to vinyl-covered lifelines (which I have, but wouldn't recommend, and plan to switch to uncovered), the trapping of moisture and salt, and the hiding of potential problems make these things counterproductive to the "protecting" jobs they're allegedly trying to accomplish. I say strip em off.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
They're gone (shroud covers, cable covers, whatever they are called). Quite brittle pvc or plastic after many years, came off in pieces. Last pic is the pvc pipe which I do believe in, would rather trip on those than get snagged on a turnbuckle or cotter pin, and they do help protect the head sail or sheet from hanging up on a shroud...(they're only about 18" long)...

shroud1.jpg
shroud2.jpg
shroud 3.jpg

Last edited:

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Hey there buddy ol pal, I here you got a loos gauge, wanna come down to Wilmington to help me tune my rig when I get to that point. :dancing: There will be pizza and :beer::beer:.
(Reason no one ever lets on they actually own a loos gauge)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I was tuning the rig after launching this year, and 2 people asked what the loos gauge was and what was going.

Then, a couple weeks later, I notice a catalina 25 had the forward lowers attached to the same chainplate as the uppers. (Chainplates had two holes)
So effectively no forward support for the middle of the mast. "I rigged it like the PO"

I also made the mistake of trusting the PO.
I have never inspected the drum on the CDI curler until this year.
When setting mast rake, I discovered the forestay needed to be tightened.
"Rake was ok last year. Hmmm"
As I slid up the drum on the forestay I discovered that the turnbuckle had no pins and was a couple threads away from separating and bringing the whole rig down !

We all make mistaken assumptions, occasionally.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Hey there buddy ol pal, I here you got a loos gauge, wanna come down to Wilmington to help me tune my rig when I get to that point. :dancing: There will be pizza and :beer::beer:.
(Reason no one ever lets on they actually own a loos gauge)
Grotto, let me know when you get close, I'll put you on the waiting list!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had to buy a second Loos gauge. The smaller one I used on my Mac only works on the split backstay of the Hunter. The side shrouds require the next model up. My wrap (scar) pins arrived yesterday from APS. Removing the ring dings and tape on the turnbuckles. The new pins serve and protect.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I had to buy a second Loos gauge. The smaller one I used on my Mac only works on the split backstay of the Hunter. The side shrouds require the next model up. My wrap (scar) pins arrived yesterday from APS. Removing the ring dings and tape on the turnbuckles. The new pins serve and protect.
:plus: on turnbuckle wraps / scar pins. We just got a set this year, and it sure makes rig adjustments easier!

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
Never heard of the scar pins, just looked them up-- going on my Christmas list!