"shroud covers"?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
hmmmm...Scar pins...never heard of 'em but intrigued and as said cotter pins are a PITA (to me anyway), got me thinking (sometimes/often dangerous)...quick google search yields:

One can buy a pound of 316 stainless nails (~ 200 +/-) depending on size, for 12 bucks and 25 yards of Velcro One Wrap (1/2") for 13 bucks, both + shipping.

Poke/burn nail thru proper length of Velcro, cut off nail to appropriate length, file/grind end smooth, (SS washer under nail head if desired), voila! A lifetime + supply of Scar pins for shroud turnbuckles & other uses, and yards of Velcro One Wrap for sail ties, or different applications on board or quik emergency fixes...all for maybe 2 beers shop time (by Gene's metrics)!

what am I missing?

Last edited:

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
hmmmm...Scar pins...never heard of 'em but intrigued and as said cotter pins are a PITA (to me anyway), got me thinking (sometimes/often dangerous)...quick google search yields:

One can buy a pound of 316 stainless nails (~ 200 +/-) depending on size, for 12 bucks and 25 yards of Velcro One Wrap (1/2") for 13 bucks, both + shipping.

Poke/burn nail thru proper length of Velcro, cut off nail to appropriate length, file/grind end smooth, (SS washer under nail head if desired), voila! A lifetime + supply of Scar pins for shroud turnbuckles & other uses, and yards of Velcro One Wrap for sail ties, or different applications on board or quik emergency fixes...all for maybe 2 beers shop time (by Gene's metrics)!

what am I missing?
Sounds to me like it ought to work. With plenty of other tasks on my spring list, I paid the extra $25 to save the 2 beers of shop time, but (as you say) that ought to make you a lifetime supply. If you make a few for your friendly dock neighbors, you'd probably recoup the beers as well. :beer:

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Similar to vinyl-covered lifelines (which I have, but wouldn't recommend, and plan to switch to uncovered), the trapping of moisture and salt, and the hiding of potential problems make these things counterproductive to the "protecting" jobs they're allegedly trying to accomplish. I say strip em off.
I stripped the dirty white plastic covering off my original 30 year old C22 lifelines 2 years ago. I actually like the plain stainless wire look much better than what they looked like covered. There were some very slight rust sheen areas, but still plenty strong IMO. The rust sheen was able to be taken off with rust cleaner, but actually looked okay even without that. If you want to convert to bare wire, the original lifelines might well still be okay.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Some idiot stole the usb charger from my car 3 days ago.
I don't know if this is as hilarious as I thought, or if I'm just losing my mind. But I couldn't stop laughing. Wow.

I stripped the dirty white plastic covering off my original 30 year old C22 lifelines 2 years ago. I actually like the plain stainless wire look much better than what they looked like covered. There were some slight rust sheen areas, but still plenty strong. The rust sheen was able to be taken off with rust cleaner.
Same exact story here. The plastic coating was cracked, stained and ugly. Didn't come off easy! Not much rust though, she was freshwater boat all her life up to that point.
I have some Velcro wrap, I have stainless nails, and I have two beers!! :beer:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I don't know if this is as hilarious as I thought, or if I'm just losing my mind. But I couldn't stop laughing. Wow.
Wow is the word. Break into a car, causing expensive repairs, just for a cable I picked up at the dollar store. I suspect meth addiction. Those guys are so desperate they will smash a window to get 25 cents.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
We plan on stripping that lifeline coating this weekend. It has been on the to do list since we bought the boat.

Not even sure why anyone would want it there. Just to increase corrosion and hide damage ? Hehe

May go sailing today for the first time this year. Got new rode (200 ft) and chain (25) ft, shroud covers, peel the lifeline covers, and a couple other tasks before we do that though.