Shrink Wrap not done!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I tried to but it won't let me....
Editing the profile is not intuitive, nor where you think it ought to be.

Over in the Left Column look for "Settings" it should be the last item in the list. Under Settings, select Account Details. Scroll down and there will options for changing the boat name, type, location, etc. Make the changes and then Save at the bottom of the page.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I am not naming the Marina, YET, as I want to give them a chance to make good, before I call the corporate headquarters.
Corporate … a Brewer/Safe Harbor marina? They seem to be very organized from my very limited experience. Did you get an explanation yet? There's always at least 2 sides to every dispute. I would guess that the shrinking would have been completed all over the yard quite a while ago in RI. Are there other boats waiting for shrinking at this marina or does yours seem to be the only one?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
FYI I have determined a toddler's plastic snow shovel is the ideal cockpit snow shovel. No metal edge, and a good size for the space.
You definitely need to clear the cockpit. Otherwise freeze/thaw cycles will likely clog the scuppers with ice and lead to flooding. Years ago (with my first boat) it flooded up to the bottom of the companionway and water came inside.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida

At this point I would not worry about the snow that fell last night. The forecast for the next few days in RI is for temps above freezing and reaching 50, the snow will melt and the snow on the boat will help insulate it until then.
Actually, the temp range over the next few days there is between 16 and 43 degrees meaning successive freeze/thaw cycles which the the worst possible scenario to promote freeze damage in every crevice. As I and others suggest, it’s irrelevant now why this happened and far more important to remove the accumulated snow and ice on deck. The long term damage can be significant.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Yes, after first looking for a Catalina 400, I sold my Catalina 36 and bought an Elan Impression 434. Thanks for the sarcastic remark..
Actually, it was pretty obvious if anybody bothered to look at your avatar.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
If it is a Safe Harbor marina that might explain things. Safe Harbor was acquired in September for $2.1B (yes "billion") by Sun Communities (ticker: SUI). Any acquisition is disruptive to local management and employees - everyone worries about whether they'll still have a job when the dust settles. During the last 10 years, Safe Harbor would often buy marinas and then fire a lot of the yard guys and have them come back as contractors. I'm sure it saves money but it means the marina isn't responsible for much of the work done on the boats.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Safe Harbor was acquired in September for $2.1B (yes "billion") by Sun Communities
That could be bad for boaters. A quick look at their website makes me think they might plan to develop the properties into shoreside communities (condos?) and displace boatyard activities.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
There are times when the wrong boat gets serviced especially when an organization goes through a change. I had done shrink wrap on my own 30 footer and needed two extra helpers. Eventually the yard stopped allowing DIY because someone torched their boat spreading to several others. (Not good) Too bad they don’t have building or wall where they could get protection from the wind so they don’t get behind.

Good luck with the removal, maybe a small pressure washer might help. Never liked spraying water in the cold. Bribery works too.

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
I am in the same boat, literally speaking, as our boat has not been wrapped yet as of yesterday (12/19). I drove through the marina but did not see the shrink wrap contractor anywhere, and the weather was conducive to get boats done. My wife spoke to the marina mgr., who said that there were something like 30 boats still to be wrapped, but didn't say when we would get done or how far down the list we were. So today I will head on down and dig out my cockpit with a toddler's plastic shovel and cover as much as I can with tarps tied down and wait.
Happy holidays to One & All !!!

Sailboating ain't easy, but it sure is fun !!!

Jan 11, 2014
For those with shrink wrap. woes, might I suggest investing in a fitted cover. There is a lot of up front cost, about 5 years worth of shrink wrapping. If you are able to store the parts then you are not dependent on the yard to cover the boat. Not to mention the yards of plastic that gets thrown in the dumpster.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
For those with shrink wrap. woes, might I suggest investing in a fitted cover. There is a lot of up front cost, about 5 years worth of shrink wrapping. If you are able to store the parts then you are not dependent on the yard to cover the boat. Not to mention the yards of plastic that gets thrown in the dumpster.
Agreed, I don't have a cover for our boat yet. It will suffer thru the winter without cover this year. Next year, I should have a cover, I think.

Jan 11, 2014
Agreed, I don't have a cover for our boat yet. It will suffer thru the winter without cover this year. Next year, I should have a cover, I think.
Your boat is on the cusp of having a canvass cover that is very heavy. If you go with a cover have them make it in 2 pieces. I learned the hard way. :facepalm:

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I have a fitted cover that came with our boat. The cover is roughly 10 yrs old, but hasn't been used for 6 yrs. Since I haul my boat home the mast gets unstepped. The mast is critical for the cover to be placed. So, I get shrink wrapped. With a zipper door, I can work until it gets too cold and have plenty of ambient light ( even below). I'm all in for $400 per year. Asked my wrapper if it would easier to save the cover. NOPE ! the labor to refit a perviously shrink cover would out weigh the new cost and labor... Go figure !

I've tried to find a Catalina mast from a dismasting to use the fitted cover.. I'd need the lower 12-12 feet ...not joy.. I'll keep looking

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Your boat is on the cusp of having a canvass cover that is very heavy. If you go with a cover have them make it in 2 pieces. I learned the hard way. :facepalm:
My cover is in 3 pieces, so no one piece is too heavy to get on the boat. The sections are pretty well marked and zip together at the seams.

It is about 6 years old, so I am now “in the money” vs shrink wrapping. I suppose you could buy the propane torch and the shrink wrap and do it myself as opposed to paying someone to do it.

If I were to it again, I might add a longer apron around the edge. In some places, the cover barely covers the toe rail.

But the cover does its job and I like being able to unzip the cover and easily get on board over the winter (working on some projects).

67CF76E8-6DAA-4395-B940-D6BA49101C22.jpeg

Greg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
covers, styles, supports, .... all very good. but this thread is really about motivating the marina to get to your boat and take care of it to your liking. i have had issues at times over the years with bad managers. i have many good managers. i get great service. lots of sweet 'give me's' too.

it is expensive! but i need, require the extra TLC. GREASE BABY!!!!

"everything can be done with proper lubrication"

crew coffee break is 10:00 at my yard. 3 or 4 times a season i'll put 3 dozen donuts in the break room. after aeolus gets yanked for the season i deliver a case of beer to my mechanics, the hoist operator, the guy that power washes the boat at haulout, the riggers. i grease the workers. the bosses know i grease the crew. they have no problem with that ever. i get the extra TLC every time. they always get to my boat when i need it. the crew always finds time to fit me in. through out the year i give then many compliments on how well the boat runs. i tell them i'm thrilled to have the boat where the workers are skilled and keep aeolus running so well.
positive reinforcement works well in all fassets of life. the boys keep an eye on aeolus all year long for me. i get the best treatment they can offer. i have the crews phone numbers, they all have mine.
yes i work the office crew. when i arrange how and when i need something done with the workers. i then go to the office and arrange a work order for the job and personnel i want and tell them i have already explained the work to the crew. mechanics, riggers, electricians, hoist operator, ..... donuts, beer, lots and lots of compliments. take great care of the workers and they will take care of your boat.

in the overall picture i save huge money by showing some respect

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
covers, styles, supports, .... all very good. but this thread is really about motivating the marina to get to your boat and take care of it to your liking. i have had issues at times over the years with bad managers. i have many good managers. i get great service. lots of sweet 'give me's' too.

it is expensive! but i need, require the extra TLC. GREASE BABY!!!!

"everything can be done with proper lubrication"

crew coffee break is 10:00 at my yard. 3 or 4 times a season i'll put 3 dozen donuts in the break room. after aeolus gets yanked for the season i deliver a case of beer to my mechanics, the hoist operator, the guy that power washes the boat at haulout, the riggers. i grease the workers. the bosses know i grease the crew. they have no problem with that ever. i get the extra TLC every time. they always get to my boat when i need it. the crew always finds time to fit me in. through out the year i give then many compliments on how well the boat runs. i tell them i'm thrilled to have the boat where the workers are skilled and keep aeolus running so well.
positive reinforcement works well in all fassets of life. the boys keep an eye on aeolus all year long for me. i get the best treatment they can offer. i have the crews phone numbers, they all have mine.
yes i work the office crew. when i arrange how and when i need something done with the workers. i then go to the office and arrange a work order for the job and personnel i want and tell them i have already explained the work to the crew. mechanics, riggers, electricians, hoist operator, ..... donuts, beer, lots and lots of compliments. take great care of the workers and they will take care of your boat.
Yep, treat the crew kindly and they will reciprocate.

I'm not quite as generous as Jon, however I always lend a helping hand and they always lend me a helping hand.