Shrink Wrap not done!

Oct 29, 2013
Elan Impression 434 80 RIYC
I dropped off my 40 plus foot boat at my Marina on October 18 for winterizing and shrink wrap. As you know we just has a northeaster that dropped a foot of snow. MY BOAT IS STILL NOT SHRINK WRAPED ! What should I do with the marina?
Thanks for your input!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Call or visit them and ask why the work was not completed. I hope you have not paid them anything for the work and if you did I would demand an immediate refund. I would let them know in very clear terms that you are POed and that this failure may affect future business.

And if you are in a position to vote with your feet and go elsewhere for the next season, I would consider that also. If this is the first issue with them, then a second chance may be in order.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The bigger question is did they do the winterization!? Stopping Money/payment is probably your only recourse. Who else can you go too?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Not much point now, didn't really need it anyway. And what kind of a rush job would they doo now? Skip it. Obviously a refund, since even if they do it they missed part of the season.

But yeah, hope it was winterized. And would you believe them without checking? Sounds like they cannot be depended on for contracting work.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Remove the snow before the ice does damage. Given their performance thus far, I wouldnt trust them to remove it gently or thoroughly. Also, it would be great to hear both sides of the story before passing judgment - do they agree that they were aware of your expectation? Sometimes, work requests can get misinterpreted

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
do they agree that they were aware of your expectation? Sometimes, work requests can get misinterpreted
Shrink wrapping is weather dependent. If it has been exceptionally windy this fall, then the shrinking wrapping will be behind schedule. Imagine trying wrestle 2 pieces 10' x 40+' plastic 10 fee off the ground in 20 knots. If the marina is reasonably well run, on the windy days they would take care of winterizing.

A few weeks ago my marina sent out a notice that they were behind on shrink wrapping because the weather had not been cooperative, with high winds for well over a week.

At this point I would not worry about the snow that fell last night. The forecast for the next few days in RI is for temps above freezing and reaching 50, the snow will melt and the snow on the boat will help insulate it until then.

In Syracuse we were lucky only about 6 inches. Some 70 miles south in Binghampton three feet fell. Several SBO members live and sail near their and probably saw similar amounts.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Go and document the uncovered boat. Also document if the winterization had not been done. Most smart phones will date and time stamp the pics.

Advise the marina that they are now responsible for any and all damages associated with their misfeasance .

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
That's a lot of time between October 18 and now. Did you not question them earlier? Did you have a written work order? Most marinas don't operate very well with instructions stated in the yard to a manager (or worker) whom is all over the place before he/she gets back to the office. My experience is that you have to enter the office and get the work order written by an office manager (not suggesting that you didn't). A lot of boats spend the winter without a cover so I imagine it would be very difficult to demonstrate any actual damages due to this event (and very expensive to prove). Perhaps the weather will turn for the better for just enough time that they could get the job done, but I would imagine that all whom would be shrink-wrapped would have already been done and the operation would be over for the season. I guess the first step is to get an explanation.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I dropped off my 40 plus foot boat at my Marina on October 18 for winterizing and shrink wrap. As you know we just has a northeaster that dropped a foot of snow. MY BOAT IS STILL NOT SHRINK WRAPED ! What should I do with the marina?
Thanks for your input!
This happened to me once a couple years back. Extremely aggravating. Maxine was hauled on Oct 7 that year and the first snow was early December. I raised hell with the boat yard but they didn't get it done in time. I did manage to cover all the hatches and winches with plastic tarps before the storm. Then we raised more hell. I sent my wife in (teacher) who lectured the office as if they were children. Service has been great since then.

Also there are a couple of business issues that are evident in the shrink wrap application:
1. Some yards use their guys to do the shrink wrap. However, the same guys also haul the boats, and do the winterization for customers who require it. Shrink has lowest priority.
2. Shrink is much more important to sailboat owners than for power boat owners. We have many more hatches, winches, roller furler mechanisms, exposed electronics, and more. Boat yards generally don't understand this.
3. The yard layout is a factor also. They tend to cram boats in tightly when hauled, which makes shrinking difficult. So they try to stay ahead of the hauling to shrink the boats. So if your boat is not stored in sequence, you may wait a long time.
4. Of course the weather is a factor but I feel that they use weather for the number one excuse to angry owners, like us.

All part of boat ownership.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
In Syracuse we were lucky only about 6 inches. Some 70 miles south in Binghampton three feet fell. Several SBO members live and sail near their and probably saw similar amounts.
Hey Dave, we got 40 plus inches in the Town of Maine, about 10 miles north of Endicott. I wish I’d had my truck shrink wrapped. Needed a step ladder to get the tonneau cover and cab cleaned off. My street still isn’t plowed as of 5:30 pm. Nor’Easter surprise...:poop:

Picture was taken at 5:30 am today. There’s a GMC Sierra and a Hyundai Sonata under the piles. Now I’m worried about the boat. We’re just tarped.

2BF1FA42-FEF6-4261-9F3F-E97080C849FB.jpeg

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Demand a discount or credit. Make sure winterizing was done.
I don't shrink wrap my boat because I believe that boats need to breathe and i believe that shrink wrap promotes mold. All I do is tarp the cockpit so snow doesn't accumulate there. Others believe that shrink wrap protects the deck and keeps everything cleaner. my philosophy is that boats and marine equipment are designed to be wet and out in the elements. I believe that shrink wrap is overrated and a moneymaker for the marinas. Our yard charges 350 and up to shrink wrap, times that by 50 plus boats and that's a lot of money to be made. I have never wrapped my boat just put a cheap disposable tarp for 30 plus years with no issues.

Anyway you should get down there and clear off any snow in the cockpit. You might want to use a plastic dust pan to remove it, as it maybe easier to maneuver. If you have access to power a heat gun is helpful to melt away any residual snow or ice. Make sure the scuppers are clear. Hot windshield washer fluid usually does the trick.

Oct 29, 2013
Can you share the methodology of growing your boat by more than 4'? I'd like a cheap way of turning mine into a 320.
Yes, after first looking for a Catalina 400, I sold my Catalina 36 and bought an Elan Impression 434. Thanks for the sarcastic remark..

Oct 29, 2013
Thank you all for the great advice... First, I am able to check my boat the systems were winterized. Good news.
Second, I believe the shrink wrap stops any water infiltration and potential freezing and resultant expansion that can occur anywhere. Third, mold is handled with multiple hanging DampRid Bags in each cabin and head that are changed every month over the winter. And., lastly, these idiots had the boat for 2 months. I am not naming the Marina, YET, as I want to give them a chance to make good, before I call the corporate headquarters.
Go and document the uncovered boat. Also document if the winterization had not been done. Most smart phones will date and time stamp the pics.

Advise the marina that they are now responsible for any and all damages associated with their misfeasance .
BREACH OF CONTRACT!

Jan 11, 2014
You have been given a lot of advice and some suggestions. Two last comments.

If the contract did not have a completion date, then it will be difficult to claim breach of contract.

When the conversation between you and the yard manager is over, what comments do you want him to make about you after you leave? And, do you ever want to do business with that marina again? At my marina, if you are unreasonable or excessively argumentative you will be looking for a new marina.

Oct 29, 2013
You have been given a lot of advice and some suggestions. Two last comments.

If the contract did not have a completion date, then it will be difficult to claim breach of contract.

When the conversation between you and the yard manager is over, what comments do you want him to make about you after you leave? And, do you ever want to do business with that marina again? At my marina, if you are unreasonable or excessively argumentative you will be looking for a new marina.
Thank you for the comments, good advice..

Jan 11, 2014
Yes, after first looking for a Catalina 400, I sold my Catalina 36 and bought an Elan Impression 434. Thanks for the sarcastic remark..
Uh, you may want to update your profile with your new boat info. ;)