shower sump + holding tank vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarEi

Mar 8, 2009
2 303 Barnegat
We have a 1985 Pearson 303 with shower drain going in to the bilge. Original drain seems to have gone to a pump under port settee only the frame of the pump remained when we bought the boat. How have you connected your shower sump?
I am thinking about increasing the size of our flexable holding tank vent, everything I read states a bigger than 5/8 vent is better. I can't find a thru hull for a hose larger than 5/8. Any ideas?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
We have a 1985 Pearson 303 with shower drain going in to the bilge. Original drain seems to have gone to a pump under port settee only the frame of the pump remained when we bought the boat. How have you connected your shower sump?
I am thinking about increasing the size of our flexable holding tank vent, everything I read states a bigger than 5/8 vent is better. I can't find a thru hull for a hose larger than 5/8. Any ideas?
Nope, haven't re-connected a pump, but I can't imagine draining soap-laden water to the bilge. It's going to stink. My boats have all had pumps.

Don't use a "vent" fitting on a holding tank. They have screens (because they are intended for fuel tanks) which prevent back flushing of the vent with a garden hose as a matter of pump-out maintenance (the outlet to the tank can tend to plug due to slosh). Use a standard plastic mushroom through-hull. 1-inch is a good compromise. Use white sanitation hose on the vent; clear vinyl will permeate and stink within 2 years and rubber sanitation hoses are not widely available in sizes other than 1 1/2-inch.

Aug 21, 2009
Pearson 303 Port Townsend
I have a 1984 303. The shower "sump" is a long section (don't know how long) of coiled hose in the bilge connected to a pump under the port settee. Kind of crude but it works if you don't take too long a shower. I prefer cockpit showers using a sun shower water heater bag.

Jun 3, 2011
1985 Pearson 303 Pearson 303 RockPort,ME
GarEi, Mine one Pump 12vdc with a "Y" connector under port settee handels two functions 1. shower with power switch in Bathroom for shower drain 2. ICE bucket then they both go out to sea side. Note: when my icebox needs to empty the water, I just turn valve and hit the switch in the bathroom to on. I also have a strainer inline with pump too.

Attachments

GarEi

Mar 8, 2009
2 303 Barnegat
Y Valve

I have a 1984 303. The shower "sump" is a long section (don't know how long) of coiled hose in the bilge connected to a pump under the port settee. Kind of crude but it works if you don't take too long a shower. I prefer cockpit showers using a sun shower water heater bag.
iS THERE A Y FITTING AT THE BILGE PUMP THRU HULL TO CONNECT THE BILGE DISCHARGE HOSE AND THE SHOWER PUMP HOSE?

Jun 3, 2011
iS THERE A Y FITTING AT THE BILGE PUMP THRU HULL TO CONNECT THE BILGE DISCHARGE HOSE AND THE SHOWER PUMP HOSE?
You can have it share the same thru-haul out as the pump shows in my drawing. However; if you heal over a bit seawater will come back into you bilge area unless you put a one way valve in place too. You want to make sure that the bilge is not restricted to get rid of the water. Perhaps if you make a drawing and post it or PM me I could help further. My Bilge pumps out the back and has a one way valve preventing water backing up. Capt. Rob

CAUTION: Be careful not to mix-allot to "one output" lines. You may get water backing up if the one-way valve stays open. When you think your draining..your not its going some place else..lol I am a believer that your bilge draining should be by itself with no added back-pressure. In MY Opinion. Note: It only takes one tooth pick to sink a boat if not configured right!:eek:

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2009
Pearson 303 Port Townsend
No. Shower and bilge pump systems are totally separate. Probably is not a good idea to share bilge pump system with anything else. You don't want to compromise the safety of the bilge pump system in any way.

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
Yes... our shower drain is connected to a coiled rubber hose in the bilge... then run up to a pump under the port settee... then out to a gate valve above the waterline. Not the best setup... however it works fine. I mean... how much showering are you going to do on this coastal cruiser anyway?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2011
Yes... our shower drain is connected to a coiled rubber hose in the bilge... the run up to a pump under the port settee... then out to a gate valve above the waterline. Not the best setup... however it works fine. I mean... how much showering are you going to do on this coastal cruiser anyway?
Rich just make sure you dont have anything returning like "a one way duck-valve" in place.
Capt. Rob

GarEi

Mar 8, 2009
2 303 Barnegat
So you have two thru hulls, one for the bilge pump and one for the shower sump?

Status
Not open for further replies.