shower drain sump pump question

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
On our new (to us) MH-31 sailboat, we’ve got a Rule 800 GPH shower drain & sump pump, which services both a free-standing shower and the vanity sink drain in the head. I’ve noticed that there's always about 2”-3" of standing water in the white plastic box that houses the pump and float switch.

Is this typical? The float switch is working but I wonder if it’s waiting too long to activate, at too high of a water level? ...and perhaps I should replace the float switch...

IMG_3200.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The pump is a centrifugal pump, any water left in the hose between the pump and the highest point on the hose will drain back into the sump. This is because the pump can't push air, when there is no water left in the sump the pump stops and the water left in the hose drains back into the box. Same thing happens with the bilge pump.

• Helpful

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I was on a boat the other day that had two pumps in their bilge- one same as yours - the other one that is used to pump out that residual water, different kind of pump, but I don't know exactly what it was. But I don't see that you have enough space for that.

In short - yes it's usual to have residual water in there.

dj

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I’ve noticed that there's always about 2”-3" of standing water in the white plastic box that houses the pump and float switch.

Is this typical?
Yes it is typical but not ideal. You will want to regularly flush the sump box to remove the digesting slurry of soap, shampoo, shaving cream, toothpaste, etc that is contained in that 2”-3” of standing water. It will be a source of vile odour if you don’t. The sump box cover is not air tight. I also add a bit of Zaal Noflex Digestor as required and it’s a good idea to clean the inside of the box itself. Again as required.

Last edited:

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The pump is a centrifugal pump, any water left in the hose between the pump and the highest point on the hose will drain back into the sump.
Not True on the newest model of 800 GPH sump pump.

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 9.17.24 AM.png

I just installed 2 new ones.

Jim...