shower drain sump pump question

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
On our new (to us) MH-31 sailboat, we’ve got a Rule 800 GPH shower drain & sump pump, which services both a free-standing shower and the vanity sink drain in the head. I’ve noticed that there's always about 2”-3" of standing water in the white plastic box that houses the pump and float switch.

Is this typical? The float switch is working but I wonder if it’s waiting too long to activate, at too high of a water level? ...and perhaps I should replace the float switch...

IMG_3200.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The pump is a centrifugal pump, any water left in the hose between the pump and the highest point on the hose will drain back into the sump. This is because the pump can't push air, when there is no water left in the sump the pump stops and the water left in the hose drains back into the box. Same thing happens with the bilge pump.

• Helpful

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I was on a boat the other day that had two pumps in their bilge- one same as yours - the other one that is used to pump out that residual water, different kind of pump, but I don't know exactly what it was. But I don't see that you have enough space for that.

In short - yes it's usual to have residual water in there.

dj

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I’ve noticed that there's always about 2”-3" of standing water in the white plastic box that houses the pump and float switch.

Is this typical?
Yes it is typical but not ideal. You will want to regularly flush the sump box to remove the digesting slurry of soap, shampoo, shaving cream, toothpaste, etc that is contained in that 2”-3” of standing water. It will be a source of vile odour if you don’t. The sump box cover is not air tight. I also add a bit of Zaal Noflex Digestor as required and it’s a good idea to clean the inside of the box itself. Again as required.

Last edited:

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The pump is a centrifugal pump, any water left in the hose between the pump and the highest point on the hose will drain back into the sump.
Not True on the newest model of 800 GPH sump pump.

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 9.17.24 AM.png

I just installed 2 new ones.

Jim...

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
It seems to me the only difference between the OP's setup and the 98B system is a check valve in
the 98B system.
The OP might be able to re-rig his boat with a check valve in the discharge line without the cost
of a whole new system.
Am I missing something?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
The duckbill valve is listed as a Rule 1240R. It is probably specific to the Rule 20DA pump. And it may or may not fit into the older 800 gph pump but a universal 3/4" inline check valve may fit into the output hose.
1722092683533.png

1722093235232.png

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
Hunter Hunter Legend 35.5 9335 Albemarle Plantation, NC
Pour some Clorox or Bilge Cleaner in the shower drain.

Jim...
You should not put Clorox in the pump which then goes in to the outside water, Bad for marine life.
Also do not wash your deck with Bleach!!!

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Bad for marine life.
Not true with a cup of Clorox !

Clorox rapidly reacts to kill Bacteria etc.

Clorox stops jelly fish stings, bee stings, and many other things

Clorox does not react with things inside the Shower Box.

Chemical Engineer Jim...