Show us your spinnaker!

Jun 6, 2013
Hunter 28 Burlington, ON
Show us your spinnaker

The boat's name is Swallow from Arthur Ransome's "Swallows and Amazons". When a new asymmetrical spinnaker was on the list Kevin, the sailmaker and a Ransome reader too was only too happy to cut the stylized swallow into the sail. This shot was taken one July day when I was singlehanding, eastbound on Lake Ontario.

Attachments

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Thanks guys! They are beautiful! Had a solid red 175% Drifter on my prior boat. The sails name was "the red baron".
Chief

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Bought Freedom in '76. Bicentennial year. Everyone was going red, white and blue. We decided not to. In So Cal you could tell whose boat you were in front of ,or behind (nah), by the chute.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
OK, quick story. About 30 years ago I got a ride on a fancy racer named "Clark Kent". On the downwind leg, the crew started smiling and set up the spinnaker. It had a HUGE graphic (very rare at that time) of Clark jumping into the air, taking off the glasses and opening up his shirt to show the SUPER MAN uniform. It was sooo cool as we sped past the fleet. (Does anyone know about that boat?)

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
I was approaching the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, (Tampa, St Pete) about a yea ago and there were more than a dozen 30' to 50' footers going out to sea, ALL had Spinnakers flying, a sight to behold!
Jack

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Our spinnakers are hard to photograph as my hands are usually full when they're flying. I got this shot years ago with a point and shoot by "feel" with my right hand while holding the wheel in my left. We were reaching up Blue Hill(dead ahead background) Bay on a hot westerly driven beam reach.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Just love to fly a spinnaker... especially if I'm singlehanding; it adds to the fun. I usually sail with my wife and I try to convince her that the spinnaker is our friend: I'm not very successful at it!
"Le Spi c'est mon ami"
Pierre

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
What no wittle boats?

here you go, our 30+ yo spinnaker... used frequently now... patches and all

and

This was during one of my "solo launches" on a very light day.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
This is the Star of Papillon. My wife made it for my birthday several years ago. It has been a great addition to the boat and gets used almost every time we sail.

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
For the record, my boat is a downwind rocket... and the windward leg it can hold its own. My boat is a puddle racing Capri 25. The masthead rig, allows for a HUGE symmetrical kite! It's why we can kill the J/24s, and S2 7.9s downwind.

I'm in the process of ordering a "reaching kite" as the one above is a DDW chute for those who do Windward/Leeward races (we don't)... While the downwind chute is a great runner.. we need something when our race committee sets us up for a "reach-fest." Because we lose when it's a waterline race. It's he who spends most of his time above hull-speed who wins when that happens. Can't wait to get the new chute and try it out.