Should I replace my old Yanmar motor mounts with OEMs or a newer design?

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
Has anyone replaced their Yanmar motor mounts with one of these kits from PYI--or some other newer design?

They cost ~ $200 more for a set of 4 than the OEMs for my Yanmar 2GMF. Wondering if they are worth the additional cost and would really "smooth the ride” in a 2GMF as advertised.

Thanks, Matt

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Wow. Usually folks here bemoan the excess cost of the Yanmar mounts.
You may be the first to do otherwise! Good on ya!
Wish I could be of greater help in your decision, but $200 more isn't too much to fret over. Reviews seem positive.

Boffin

Aug 30, 2010
yahama 25 Hong Kong
In my 1GM10, the manual spec.the hardness of the engine mount is 70 near the gear box, while the other two is 50. I think it is adopted to reduce the vibration due to the shaft connection. I don't know whether it applies to 2GM. my friend recently replaced all mounting of his 3GM30.It looks good and works fine. Any advantage to use OEM parts.
?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I found these for $396 US:

If I read correctly, the 'kit' listed above costs $620 US.
That's a 56% higher price than the EU made replacement mounts.

OUCH!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Ok, let's see if I have the question correct: On the one hand I can save $200.00 and install the identical and dated design mounts....OR I can spend $50.00 per mount more and attain a new style mount that in all probability will reduce vibration and last longer...? Hmmm a tough one !

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The reviews from customers sound favorable but I'm not sure what comparing old, worn out OEM mounts to new PYI ones is worth. They sure look cool :waycool:

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Remove mounts one at a time and note any shims under them set new next to old on flat surface and using a small level set up to match existing settings. if new style doesn't adjust to same heights then you made a bad choice

• Helpful

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I'm with Mainesail on that. I needed the mounts replaced on my last boat and the mechanic took it upon himself to replace with non-OEM because he felt the Yanmars were too soft and allowed too much movement of the shaft. I *think* he used PYI. Anyway, vibrations through the cockpit floor were much higher--bothersome really-- with the 3rd party ones. I insisted he replace with Yanmars, which restored things to a comfortable level.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I replaced motor mounts that weren't original based on price. The noise and vibration increased. To make it more optimal is that Yanmar mounts ( on a 28.5 ) are different front to rear and as I recall maybe even based upon which side of the engine. My recollection is that the originals were three different types. Go with original.

May 15, 2015
Really helpful everyone, thanks. The reason I’m changing motor mounts now is my entire engine has been pulled from the boat for a substantial rebuild (long story for another time). The mechanic doing the rebuild agrees with what has been said here..i.e., he thinks the PYIs are too solid and will transmit more vibration than the softer Yanmars.

Turns out the Yanmar OEMs are more expensive than the PYIs (almost $200 each including shipping and WA state sales tax). Ggrizzard, thanks for suggesting parts4engines.com in the UK. Their cost including shipping UPS is ~ half what Yanmar US charges for each mount (~ $100 each including shipping if you buy a set of 4, w/ no sales tax). I don't know if they're actually made by Yanmar, but the design looks identical. I've emailed parts4engines.com to clarify this. Depending on what they say, I’m going to either get them from the UK or bite the bullet & order OEMs from Yanmar USA.

Matt

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I was just looking at the ones from Parts4Engines. They're made in Spain. Not OEM. That's all I could find. The price is attractive, half the cost of the Yanmars. However, if they don't work then I'm out $1200 and my labor to replace them twice. Ugh.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Really helpful everyone, thanks. The reason I’m changing motor mounts now is my entire engine has been pulled from the boat for a substantial rebuild (long story for another time). The mechanic doing the rebuild agrees with what has been said here..i.e., he thinks the PYIs are too solid and will transmit more vibration than the softer Yanmars.

Turns out the Yanmar OEMs are more expensive than the PYIs (almost $200 each including shipping and WA state sales tax). Ggrizzard, thanks for suggesting parts4engines.com in the UK. Their cost including shipping UPS is ~ half what Yanmar US charges for each mount (~ $100 each including shipping if you buy a set of 4, w/ no sales tax). I don't know if they're actually made by Yanmar, but the design looks identical. I've emailed parts4engines.com to clarify this. Depending on what they say, I’m going to either get them from the UK or bite the bullet & order OEMs from Yanmar USA.

Matt
it seems like the Yanmars for a 2GM20 are $344
the PYI’s are $620.... right?

BA18397D-AF53-4BC9-B685-5CC1873A631D.png 7FC6A282-671B-46D3-B4B0-09D7394C8F59.png

on edit...I see the “Yanmars” are the UK ones of unknown origination... sorry.

Greg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My 2GM20F is 18 years old. So when should I replace the engine mount? Do I wait for some problem or replace on time base? Thanks in advance.

Ken Y

May 15, 2015
Tally Ho, I came across the ones on discountmarinesource.com today as well..and only ~ $8 shipping to Seattle. Much cheaper than Yanmar retail, which is $165 each, excluding shipping, according to my local Yanmar parts dealer. The part numbers are a little different than what I see in the 2010 Yanmar parts catalogue (the latest one I have), so I’m checking this out before I order from them.

Ken13559: I’m replacing my engine mounts because the entire engine has been pulled for a major rebuild and mine are 25 yrs old and very rusty. I’ve also experienced increasing engine vibration over the past couple yrs, though that could be partly the result of the engine problems that led to the rebuild, not necessarily the mounts.

Tricia

Jun 4, 2004
Freedom 30 Victoria, BC
Also check out bayshoremarineengines.com. I've ordered parts from them in the past and even with the exchange and cross border shipping have saved a substantial amount over local retailers.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I was just looking at the ones from Parts4Engines. They're made in Spain. Not OEM. That's all I could find. The price is attractive, half the cost of the Yanmars. However, if they don't work then I'm out $1200 and my labor to replace them twice. Ugh.
I am using the UK mounts on my 2gm20f. Identical looking to the Yanmar oem mounts but they are softer. The softness helps reduce vibration noises, but if your prop shaft is the least bit out of balance the engine will be able to move around more.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Identical looking to the Yanmar oem mounts but they are softer. The softness helps reduce vibration noises, but if your prop shaft is the least bit out of balance the engine will be able to move around more
Thanks for the report. I will stick with OEM.