Shore water feed

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Hi All,
I finally decided to hook up what I call the 'shore water' feed on my Hunter 41DS after not using it for several years.
It is spraying a decent amount of water around (and not through the faucets :) ) at the external attachment.
From looking at it a little closer it appears that there is a rubber gasket between the traditional garden hose attachment section and the part built into the boat.

Definitely not a high priority for me (I like to use the water tanks themselves so the water is always fresh there) but would like to keep it functional.

Seems it would be an easy job to disassemble and replace the apparent rubber sleeve but thought I would check in here first before having yet another 'to do' on the boat project list.

Has anybody done maintenance on one of these before?
Thanks in advance, pic attached.

Attachments

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Thanks for the support. I removed the hose and eyeballed things from outside again. Looks like it is a bit more than an o-ring.
Bonus for me, and project lists, had to haul out the old code-1.5 gennaker/spinnaker/whatchamgizzer after leaving it down there, stored wet for a few years.

On my side, project list priorities have changed.

In regards to practical matters on this thread, I still need to trace down this outlet and document better how/why the BBQ and net-48 solar panel installations went.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
So at least for me, looking at the 'shore water' attachment, and also understanding that it is best to have an outside pressure control, I am still at a loss for practical advise.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
From the picture, to me, it appears all you need is a standard residential style water hose gasket inserted into the female water socket.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
So at least for me, looking at the 'shore water' attachment, and also understanding that it is best to have an outside pressure control, I am still at a loss for practical advise.
There is a pressure reducer built into most shore water connectors such as the one shown in your picture.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
On my shore water input there is a valve on my water manifold that must be switched on in order for the shore water to enter the system. If it's closed entering shore water stops there and it may be why you are receiving so much back pressure at the hose connection.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Ditto what others have said.

Make sure the manifold valve is lined up to allow water to enter the system from shore water. Also check the gasket where the hose seats to the shore water connector.

The male hose connector may be slightly out of round if it was stepped on or otherwise squished. If the gasket is new, I would also add some teflon tape around the hose male connector to fill in some of the space where water can leak. I do that with spay nozzles too.
hose.png

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Mine was doing the same, simply replaced with a hose washer from the depot. I also purchased a brass 90' elbow as I find routing the hose onboard easier to do without kinking and more importantly greatly reduces side loading on the fitting.

Mar 17, 2019
Hunter 450 Passage Chicago, 31st Harbor
Mine works with a regular garden hose rubber washer. I would mention one experience that might be interesting: I hooked up my shore hose and left the boat with it on.. turned out the electric head had a leaky valve on water input side. This slowly overfilled the bowl and went into the bilge. The scary part is that the water never runs out (like it would have if it were coming from a tank), so if the bilge pump failed i could have sunk my boat. Now I don't hook up the shore hose for fear of any leak that may happen whilst I'm away.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I purchased a brass elbow to allow better alignment of the hose w/o stress on the fittings.

A regular hose gasket is likely all you need.

However, on my boat I found the transom shower and the shore water lines to the manifold (in my case under the galley sink) were reversed. When I thought the water was on, only the transom shower worked. Had to turn on what was labeled transom shower to allow shore water into the system.

I also purchased a fabric over PVC drinking water hose, a 2 foot drinking water hose, and a 2-stage carbon filter. Makes it much nicer. I also put the filter at the boat end of the hose not at the dock end. Helps with water sitting in the hose.