Shore powered vent fan?

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
I imagine this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find anything.

My Marinco 4" solar van didn't make it a single winter up here in Seward Alaska. The battery is already dead and won't recharge. Does anyone know any tricks to keep these things running when there isn't light for months? I don't need it when I'm using the boat and have shore power the rest of the time.

I am trying to keep mold and moisture down.

A shore power power supply for the marinco fan? Constantly changing batteries? What about when it's covered in snow all winter?

cheers

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I have an older one, but it takes ordinary C size NiCad batteries. It doesn't always come back to life after winter so I pop a new one in.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
You can use shore powered or chemical dehumidifiers. Is humidity is a big problem in Alaskan winters?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Depending on how you and electricity get along, you could wire the Marinco into you 12V system. Use a DC/DC step down transformer if needed as they are cheap. Be sure it's well fused and be sure you understand the 12V electrical system on your boat.

The low sunlight hours is your biggest problem in the winter, snow or no snow.

The important thing here is your battery charger. If it's a good make, it will not charge your battery nor allow it to discharge when you introduce a reasonable load l so I think the approx. 1.0A load of the fan should not create a problem. My battery monitor shows a momentary input (one or two sec.) from the battery charger when the refrigerator kicks in (4.5A) and then goes back to 0.0A. Check your battery charger to avoid prematurely aging your batteries.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Can’t you just plug a regular fan into the boat’s AC when on shore power?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Maybe I’m missing something. It’s not clear to me. Is the boat in the water with shore power through the winter months or is it stored on the hard without power?

If it’s the former, this may be somewhat irrelevant. My boat is stored on the hard, shrink wrapped, in Chicago with generally cold, dry winters.
I deploy about eight dozen DampRid buckets, empty all lockers and leave them open, stand cushions on edge and open the head portlite for ventilation after the shrink wrap goes on. Batteries are completely disconnected and I’m not a fan of leaving anything electrical running unattended for months in the boat yard. So no fans, dehumidifiers or heaters running. Just natural ventilation and desiccant which I check every four to six weeks. I’ve never had a moisture or mold issue.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Maybe I’m missing something. It’s not clear to me. Is the boat in the water with shore power through the winter months or is it stored on the hard without power?

If it’s the former, this may be somewhat irrelevant. My boat is stored on the hard, shrink wrapped, in Chicago with generally cold, dry winters.
I deploy about eight dozen DampRid buckets, empty all lockers and leave them open, stand cushions on edge and open the head portlite for ventilation after the shrink wrap goes on. Batteries are completely disconnected and I’m not a fan of leaving anything electrical running unattended for months in the boat yard. So no fans, dehumidifiers or heaters running. Just natural ventilation and desiccant which I check every four to six weeks. I’ve never had a moisture or mold issue.
it's in the slip all year.