Share some Sailing Terms...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Wow you all forget that we shorten naval terms to the abbreviations like....

instant Postions And Directions
Grabber Pole Starboard... and Port side not so common
UnderSized Ballast

and don't forget this over used one...

Stupid Other Boater!
Jim...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Keelhaul was a particular favorite along with freezing the balls off a brass monkey.
All U Get

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
I like this thread, is there a website devoted to this topic with a search option? I thought I ran across one a while ago but unable to find it again. It would sure help a newbie out when I'm reading articles.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
BMW......Boat Marine Worker.
BAD BMW..... A BMW you do not to work on your boat.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
"bitter end"
I understood it to mean a line that didn't have a stopper knot tied in it. When sailors were up in the rigging and fell, they would grab for a line and if they started to slip down the rope and got to the end and it didn't have a stopper knot in it, they would have met their "bitter end."

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The "bitter end" in fact is tied off to the "bitts" 2 vertical posts on deck or elsewhere to secur a line, or chain, especially the anchor rode.
Soooo.... should we call the horns on a cleat "bitts"? Or should we start calling the bitter end the horny end?:biggrin:

From now on, on my boat... it will be the horny end:thumbup:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I like this thread, is there a website devoted to this topic with a search option? I thought I ran across one a while ago but unable to find it again. It would sure help a newbie out when I'm reading articles.
I have 3 pages of 'em that I can attach to an email if you want to send me a PM that includes your email address.

Amazon has several really fun books you might like...start with this one
Sailing - A Sailor's Dictionary - A Dictionary for Landlubbers, Old Salts, & Armchair Drifters: Henry Beard, Roy McKie: 9780894801440: Amazon.com: Gateway

--Peggie

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Wind Vane - A device at the top of your mast to show you the direction the wind is blowing. Also, it indicates where your destination lies.
This, I suspect, is the origin of doing something "in vane". Sailing into the wind, no headway.
Also, "boarding" was to cross the gang plank over the boards that made up the sides of the boat. "Overboard".
The gunnells are the boards along which the guns on a ship are positioned.
Yard arm, an ancient gauge that tells you when you're heeling too far.
Whore, the leader of a sailor's holy worship. Originally of Babylonian origin.

-Will (Dragonfly)