Shaft Packing Gland tube/hose

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I will probably need to replace the Shaft Packing Gland tube/hose for my boat. Now I don't remember what this tube/hose (Rubber Hose) is called.
Can anyone advise?
Thanks.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Ken, can you take a close up photo of your existing hose to show its condition ? I believe your boat is several years newer than my built in 1998 H-310 (as a 1999 model) and by the looks of mine, I could leave it for another 25 years without worries. I suspect the temperature of your water may accelerate the decomposition of yours.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Shaft log hose is what I have known it as. This hose takes a lot of torq. pressure as shaft spins. Would suck it it failed…… though I have never heard of a catastrophic failure. Good luck
Greg

Oct 29, 2005
Ken, can you take a close up photo of your existing hose to show its condition ? I believe your boat is several years newer than my built in 1998 H-310 (as a 1999 model) and by the looks of mine, I could leave it for another 25 years without worries. I suspect the temperature of your water may accelerate the decomposition of yours.
Changed mine last year and now it doesn't look "nice" like it used to. May be I just need to clean it. Brand is Buck-Algonquin.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Shaft log hose is what I have known it as. This hose takes a lot of torq. pressure as shaft spins. Would suck it it failed…… though I have never heard of a catastrophic failure. Good luck
Greg
Not trying to pick a fight with you NYSail, but if your stuffing box is adjusted correctly, and your engine, shaft and log are properly aligned, there should be virtually no torque on the hose. And, assuming your stuffing box is 2 - 3' below the water line, the pressure on the hose is a couple of PSI. But, as you say, "Would suck if it failed". Replace every 20 years or sooner if showing any degradation. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Well all of the hoses on our boats are that or less deep and in my mind if any one of them failed it would suck. As I said never heard of one failing but I have heard of many boats sinking in their slips when a below water fitting hose let go.
If an owner questions a hose I think it’s time to replace it. Just my opinion

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not trying to pick a fight with you NYSail, but if your stuffing box is adjusted correctly, and your engine, shaft and log are properly aligned, there should be virtually no torque on the hose. And, assuming your stuffing box is 2 - 3' below the water line, the pressure on the hose is a couple of PSI. But, as you say, "Would suck if it failed". Replace every 20 years or sooner if showing any degradation. As always, YMMV.
I think that the concern is that if things out of adjustment…like the stuffing box gets too tight, gets hot, shaft seizes in the stuffing box and the hose rips, comes off the stern tube, or who knows what…and then the boat starts taking on water.

Or due to lack of attention, the hose rots like these drain hoses did…I concede that this was my fault for not paying attention and inspecting this drain…but if would have been my stuffing box hose…

Greg

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
It’s a Shaft Log Hose. Buck Algonquin is the best source. Order it on-line. Do not let anyone tell you that ordinary exhaust hose is acceptable for this use. Shaft log hose is much thicker and has more reinforcement than exhaust hose. It’s actually so thick that it takes a couple days to tighten down the hose clamps.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
MAINESAIL says "Most references suggest replacing the rubber stuffing box hose every seven to ten years."

Jan 7, 2011
MAINESAIL says "Most references suggest replacing the rubber stuffing box hose every seven to ten years."
Seems like overkill, but they can rot out. Best to check them every year. I am in the Midwest, so only a 6-month sailing season….so maybe I can get 14-20 years!

I think that the old hose on Tally Ho was 30 years old before I replaced the old stuffing box for a new Volvo a Penta shaft seal.

Before…
IMG_2836.png

After new shaft and new stuffing box hose…
IMG_2837.png

After new Volvo shaft seal…
IMG_2840.png

Greg

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Seems like overkill, but they can rot out. Best to check them every year. I am in the Midwest, so only a 6-month sailing season….so maybe I can get 14-20 years!

I think that the old hose on Tally Ho was 30 years old before I replaced the old stuffing box for a new Volvo a Penta shaft seal.
I agree. Check it every year. Mileage may vary. I’m not sure if our short sailing seasons help us though.

The shaft log hose I replaced on Dalliance nine years ago was a disaster waiting to happen; not just of unknown age, it was also thin walled like exhaust hose. The now nine year old Buck Algonquin hose still looks like new with no signs of dry rot at all. It may help that there’s really no UV exposure in the engine compartment, but rubber is also affected over time by exposure to heat, humidity, oxygen and ozone.

Seven to ten years sounds like a prudent general recommendation.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
I've a brand new length of 2"ID soft exhaust hose (dual layer). Just wondering if I could cut to right length for use as Shaft Log Hose, in place of the Buck Algonquin ones?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've a brand new length of 2"ID soft exhaust hose (dual layer). Just wondering if I could cut to right length for use as Shaft Log Hose, in place of the Buck Algonquin ones?
NO. The shaft log hose is subject to much different stresses than the exhaust hose. There will be more vibration and torque on the hose.

There is an article by Steve D'Antonio on Stuffing boxes and seals in the current issue of Professional Boatbuilder on this topic. You have to be a subscriber to read it, however, the subscription is free.

Jan 7, 2011
I agree with Dave…the exhaust hose isn‘t the right hose to use.

Could you get away with it for a while? I suppose…but not long term.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Buck Algonquin hoses are 5 ply. The hose is 3/4” thick.
I’ve seen 2ply hose suggested that was 1/2” thick material.

If the motor & shaft are in alignment the hose pretty much just sits there holding water outside the hull. If something causes the shaft to wobble the hose will start to get a work out and water will try to enter the boat. Then it is only a matter of time.

Choose wisely.