Shaft length for a Hunter 25 (2006)

Feb 1, 2016
Hunter 25 Moored
Hi, I just bought a 2006 Hunter 25 without motor, which is the best Shaftt length for Them 20" or 25"?
I read that they come from the factory with a 9.9 but I do not know the Shaft Length
9.9 HP is a correct option?
Please could you share with me your motor configuration, info like, Electric Starting, Power Tilt, Remote Control, etc.

Thanks in advance !

Alex

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You want a long shaft.... otherwise your prop will come out of the water on a regular basis. Tohatsu's make a nice option and the Honda's are the more popular option. 20" to 25" is the norm. Electric start is nice but not essential. The question you need to ask is if anyone else in your crew would be able to start a pull-start motor. If the answer is no, then an electric start becomes a safety feature. Almost all new motors now have charging capabilities so that is normalized in the calculation. IMHO, electric tilt is just a convenience feature for motors in the 10 HP range...even my youngest daughter has no problem tilting my Honda 9.9. So I guess that depends upon how much money you want to spend and how much "stuff" you want to keep in working order. Don't get me wrong.... I think electric tilt is nice.... but on a limited budget, there are other nicer-things on my wish list.

Feb 1, 2016
Hunter 25 Moored
You want a long shaft.... otherwise your prop will come out of the water on a regular basis. Tohatsu's make a nice option and the Honda's are the more popular option. 20" to 25" is the norm. Electric start is nice but not essential. The question you need to ask is if anyone else in your crew would be able to start a pull-start motor. If the answer is no, then an electric start becomes a safety feature. Almost all new motors now have charging capabilities so that is normalized in the calculation. IMHO, electric tilt is just a convenience feature for motors in the 10 HP range...even my youngest daughter has no problem tilting my Honda 9.9. So I guess that depends upon how much money you want to spend and how much "stuff" you want to keep in working order. Don't get me wrong.... I think electric tilt is nice.... but on a limited budget, there are other nicer-things on my wish list.
Hi rgranger, thanks for you fast response.
Your insights are very important for me because I never even touch a 10 Hp motor.

In terms of the Shaft Length question I think that I need to change it my doubt is I need a 20" or 25" due to the 2006 Hunter 25 has the Motor Mount very Low.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Hunter 25 has the Motor Mount very Low.
You would still want a long shaft. You are still not going to prevent the prop from coming out of the water but you will reduce the incidence. You have sea swells and boat traffic that will cause the boat to "pitch" lifting its stern out of the water. In heavy weather that 5" difference will provide added safety.

Jan 19, 2010
Hi rgranger, thanks for you fast response.
Your insights are very important for me because I never even touch a 10 Hp motor.

In terms of the Shaft Length question I think that I need to change it my doubt is I need a 20" or 25" due to the 2006 Hunter 25 has the Motor Mount very Low.
My motor mount is also rather low. And the previous owner put a standard shaft (15")on my boat (see pic below). When I'm on a starboard tack (port side low), the prop comes out of the water. Not a problem if I'm sailing since I'm not running the motor. However if I'm motoring into chop and the boat starts bucking, the prop comes out of the water. It is a bit of a problem and I have to take care to take the waves at sharp angles. When I replace this O.B. it will be with a long shaft (probably tohatsu) and because I usually sail with my wife and/or daughters, I will probably get an electric start. If you already have a working outboard... I'd get started with that one and not worry about replacing it until you know more about how you will use the boat. If you are buying a new motor... definitely get the longer shaft. Another thing to consider is the prop. A sailboat needs a high thrust prop in order to really get the most out of the O.B. If you go to "onlineoutboards.com" and search for "sail pro" you will get all of the outboards that are both longer shaft and geared and propped for higher thrust.

http://onlineoutboards.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sail+pro

The Honda 9.9 sail pro electric start is the most expensive in the bunch at $3.4K. It is a very dependable outboard and similar to the one I currently have. Mine is pull start and usually starts on the third pull. In that same search you will also see a comparable Suzuki at $2.7K. Also in the "sail pro" search are some 15 HP motors that are less expensive than the 9.9's. You would never need 15 HP but one advantage would be that you could run your O.B. at lower RMPs and thus make less noise. Happy hunting.
IMG_1889.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
One other thing I forgot to mention. Don't forget to look at the 8 HP outboards. They are often the same motor as the 9.9 but with a different carburetor. (I don't know why they do that) The 8 HP outboards are often a lot less expensive than the 9.9s. With either the 9.9 or the 8, you will be at hull speed before you are at full throttle so if cost is a variable, then worth a look.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Alex111
I introduced your boat for hunter marine as a dealer but now retired in VA. I note you are in Florida so I will answer this way. The Tohatsu 8 and 9.8 are the same engine but carburetion is different. The 9.9 and 15 I believe are the same engine but carburetion different but more power than needed. Electric start is the way to go for the ease of starting. Electric tilt, I was not a fan of due to cost, more maintenance, and so on plus not that difficult to tilt up. I would not go over a 9.9 as the transom is not rated over 10 hp by design plus the higher output will only cause the bow to rise up and plow thus slowing you down. A 9.8 would be good but the decision for a 9.9 will be left up to you.
I use to supply as standard the 20 inch shaft or long shaft as I found that to be sufficient for trailering, most of the time never coming out of the water, less concern when down running aground, less concern when launching or retrieving if down and so on. In addition there are shallow areas in the area of Miami. However, in following seas a lot, the 20 inch shaft will probably come out of the water depending on the height and distance of waves. With this said I hope this will help you to resolve which motor height to go with. Also Tohatsu builds the smaller Nissan and Mercury engines too.

Crazy Dave Condon