self tacking jib

Nov 19, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis Port Washington
I just purchased a new Beneteau Oceanis 46.1 which was ordered with a traditional genoa. I had a self tacking jib on my Oceanis 35.1 and enjoyed the ease of use esp when single handling. Any thoughts on how easy the traditional genoa is to use with electric winches, and any experience whether this model may be underpowered with a self tacker? (which was mentioned by a Beneteau broker).
I do not plan to race, and will occasionally single hand.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

I would not worry about the broker's opinion on the boat being underpowered with a self tacking jib. Ease of sailing is the key. On the otherhand, might consider how you would tack single handed with autopilot and manual winches.

According to this article the standard Oceanis 46.1 has an in-mast main sail AND self tacking jib 46 is the new 48: Sailing a Beneteau Oceanis 46.1 | (no-frills-sailing.com)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Stephen on a PRESTIGIOUS looking yacht.
Never sailed on one, but from the many images available online, she has very good lines. I can understand the broker's comments about perhaps underpowered with a self tacking jib. The Main and the Foresail area are nearly identical (40.47 and 41.06 SqMeters respectively). The sail plan favors a Genoa/Main to effectively drive the boat. That is not to say that a self tacking jib is no possible. I will just be less effective in driving the boat to optimal speeds.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It looks like the standard “genoa” is only 109%, so tacking won’t be like an old style 150 genoa. If you have the furling main you’ll already be down a little sail area. Having said that the ease of single handing might very well be worth the compromises to performance.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
With that size genoa and electric winches for the genoa sheets I personally wouldn't make the switch to self tacking. I do a lot of single handed sailing, (granted only 40 foot but with a large genoa) and the only hard part is cranking in the manual sheet winches. If I catch it right on the tack, even that is not too bad. Keeping the boat sail plan closer to what the designer planned seems to be worthwhile, but if you really like the self tacking then go for it. You already have a good deal of $$$ in this boat and if a few more boat bucks would make you happy then by all means do it.

Congratulations on the purchase. Looks like beauty!

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I'm assuming you are going to be sailing on the Long Island Sound. It's notorious for light wind. You will be under powered with a small self tacking jib but it will be easier. Your call but you should not make a final determination until you sail the boat for a season.

Nov 19, 2017
thank you all for the thoughtful comments. Very helpful to hear different perspectives from an experienced group.
As mentioned, above, my local waters (Long Island Sound) are notorious for light winds from June-early September.
As long as it is feasible to single hand with this sail plan I will give the genoa a try for my first season. before investing in a self tacking jib.

Oct 22, 2014
Sounds like a sound plan. Solo sailing is a blast.
To do that on your brand new boat....priceless.:biggrin:

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
If I understand it correctly this is not a question of self tacker OR electric winches - you already have electric winches?

If so I'd definitely give it (the standard genoa) a go for the first season before you sacrifice sailpower for convenience.. esp if you're not talking about a 150% genoa.

Nov 19, 2017
Correct, the boat has electric winches. My concern was when I occasionally sail alone on this new 46.1 , and whether a boat this size is manageable, as I am moving up from at 35 foot Beneteau with a self tacking jib.

Oct 22, 2014
Stephen. Sailing a 46ft is manageable. You just need to keep thinking ahead of the boat.

The problem with big boats is the strength it takes to lug sails about. Big sails are heavier than small sails.

Reef before you have to.

Trimming sails once they are up is not that difficult. Just do not try to fight the sails. If you need to trim the main luff up a bit, take the pressure out of the sail, Trim it. Then set again your course. You have the electric winches to help you. I suspect you will find you do not always need to use their winch power. At least not for very long.

Use lulls and troughs to do the heavy lifting. You will practice tacking till you can do it smoothly. Smooth is Fast.

• Helpful

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
My boat came with a 135% and 105% fore sails. I only use the 105% because it is so much easier to tack and I often sail up wind due to prevailing wind direction. I really don't find the smaller sail much of a speed penalty going up wind and I have an asymmetrical spinnaker in a snuffer that is fairly easy to set if I want a bit more power off the wind.

It looks like your sprit is built to take a spinnaker. I suggest trying the sail you have now for a season but think about getting a Code Zero on a furler if you feel you want a bit more speed when not sailing close hauled, or an A1 in a snuffer (or top down furler). I sailed on a First 40 for a while; off the start of a 300 mile race the wind went very light and the fleet was just wallowing. As soon as the wind cracked off close to the beam we put up the Code Zero and started picking off boats one by one. We have a Code Zero on the C&C115 I race on as well and I am always amazed at the power these sails generate in the slightest breeze. They are really designed for reaching but you can fly them deeper down wind with a whisker pole if you don't have a spinnaker.
20180714_132039.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would prefer the self tacking jib. Life is too short to crank in genoas.
I get a lot of power out of my 130 genny…but I could used to the idea of a “no-line” tack…main and jib just slide over!

Dang…I am getting lazy.

Greg

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
Dang…I am getting lazy.
Only lazy if you go beyond thinking about it..
If it is in your mind it is just in the ethernet.
Even former Pres. Carter was given a pass when he was just thinking about it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A 130 is reasonable. With good technique it can be tacked without undue effort. A 150 not so much. If done perfectly, and you'll need an AP to do it, it's possible. But it goes better with crew. I will argue that the time lost in cranking in the 150 is worse than the time lost with the smaller 130 or maybe even the 100. If you are sailing against current, which is the case on LIS, it's even worse. Nice crisp tacks - that's what I like.