Selden Furling Main Wrinkles

Jun 21, 2022
Catalina 385 Tiverton
We have a Selden in-mast furling main on our Catalina 385. We've had some trouble with jamming wrinkles about half way up the mast when attempting to unfurl. At least one potential culprit we have observed, is, even with an eased boom topping lift, we cannot get the boom level (i.e. square to the mast). Is it wise to attempt to compress our boom vang to bring her down another degree or two? (I'm uncomfortable putting this control line on a winch.) Your thoughts, please?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Ouch, I feel your pain!! How old is your sail? Is it a cross-cut dacron sail?

My 2004 Hunter 386 Selden furling mast cross-cut dacron mainsail (8+ years old) had creases in it from the previous owners and got stuck often, once so bad I had to tighten the vang manually to stretch the sail in order to unstick it. Then I had the sail cleaned and treated with Sailkote by Vacuwash in New Hampshire SailkotePlus for your sails - SAIL AND CANVAS CLEANING. THE ONLY PROFESSIONAL SAIL AND CANVAS WASHING FACILITY IN AUSTRALIA VACUWASH AUSTRALIA PTY LTD V A C U W A S H ™ and the the wrinkles were removed. Hopefully you are furling it up tightly on a slight starboard tack with tension on the outhaul and unfurling it with the outhaul and tension on the furl in line. If you are still have jamming / creasing issues consider replacing it with a tri-radial cruising laminate sail and these issues will be gone and furling the sail in and out of mast will be improved. That was my experience on my Hunter 46.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Is it wise to attempt to compress our boom vang to bring her down another degree or two?
NO!

The Boom Angle is the key to correct furling.
The Cut of your mainsail determines that boom Angle.

Normal Main sails for In-mast are not 90° .

My Main Sail is 83° which means I have to use my Boom lift to Set it UP about 7° from Horizontal.

NewFurling.jpg

Hope this picture helps.

Full discussion on this is found here..

In mast 'piece of crap' furling system

Jim...

PS: I was guessing my angle when I took that picture. Later I found my angle was exactly 7°.
PSS: The Orange and Purple Lines show the Mast Pre-Bend is where it should be!

Last edited: