Second halyard stern hoisted dinghy

Nov 3, 2021
Hunter 31 Coyote Point
I have a second halyard. I currently have the halyard holding up my dinghy (without motor) off the stern, horizontally, out of the water. I’ve sailed with this set up and it seems to work well.

I’m curious however, to know if there are certain things I should watch out for given the extra pull/weight against the mast? Have others done this setup as well?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A photo would help.

Folks use halyards to hoist people, dinghies and all sorts of stuff. The question I have is what kind of halyard and how is it run?

Not all halyards are the same. A second jib or spin halyard can support the weight, however it would have to lead around the mast from the front to the back and then there are chafe issues and potential stress on one side of the mast and not the other.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello @grgortiz and welcome to the SBO Forum.
Sailing in the South Bay I presume with the reference to Coyote Point in your profile. Shallow but interesting waters.

@dlochner identifies the risk of the halyard having access without impinging on your main sail or bending your mast.

I would be inclined to use a halyard for lifting. Once the boat is up and in place, I would remove the halyard and make sure the boat is secure in place before I went sailing. Wind and waves can crash into the dinghy on the stern. I would not want the dinghy to be pulling on the Mast while I was trying to sail.

Just my thoughts.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..................I currently have the halyard holding up my dinghy (without motor) off the stern, horizontally, out of the water. I’ve sailed with this set up and it seems to work well...........Have others done this setup as well?
Welcome to the forum!!

Please post a photo? My first sailboat was a Hunter 31 but never sailed with a dinghy off the stern. Using a halyard to hoist dinghy is widely used but sailing with it tied to a dinghy attached to it off the stern is not. Consider installing dinghy davits. I sailed with a dinghy and motor attached to it on dinghy davits all the time on my Hunter 386 and currently sailing with a dinghy tied to the foredeck.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm trying to visualize how your mainsail and boom interact with the "halyard". I'm hoping it's not a jib halyard( facing forward, which means you'd have a very unnatural set up, besides all kinds of chafing scenarios it just doesn't sound safe. So.... I'm thinking it's more likely an aft facing line, next to your main halyard, which would make it handy for a storm sail stowed on its dedicated track adjacent to the mainsail track. Do you have a second track fixed to the mast for that purpose? If not... I'm going to speculate that this "halyard" was originally intended as an adjustable "boom topping lift". Are you familiar with that term? The boom topping lift attaches to the very end of the mainsail boom, its function is to keep the boom off the coach roof and out of the cockpit when the mainsail halyard is eased. In light air, the TL can be used to keep the boom from weighting down the mainsail and distorting its shape.

I replaced my topping lift with a "rigid vang". What a fantastic upgrade! I'm guessing that's what a previous owner did on your boat. Do you have a rigid vang?

Back to your original question though....
I’m curious however, to know if there are certain things I should watch out for given the extra pull/weight against the mast? Have others done this setup as well?
and my response is NO. I've never seen a dinghy stowed this way, and without a pic it's hard to tell if there's any unnatural stress on the rig. But I've seen many dinghies stowed off the transom with other methods. I'm not suggesting you quit using it this way, I just though you'd be interested in why it was there in the first place. Keep an eye on it, my friend. Good luck.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Hello @grgortiz and welcome to the SBO Forum.
FYI, I have been doing it for 15+ years. I ran a 7/16 halyard in the mast using the spare sheave next to the main halyard sheave, (both on top and on the bottom of the mast). I made a sling with safety belt material and attached 4 hooks to the 4 arms of the sling. 2 hooks are attached to the dinghy transom (I installed eyelets) and 2 hooks are attached to the D-rings each side of the dinghy bow. For better support I also have a piece of sling going from side to side under the bow so it is not supported just by the D-rings.
I have brought the halyard to the cockpit and use the winch on top of the cabin to hoist the dinghy. Once where I want it, at the same height as the top of the stern railing, I secure the dinghy bow and stern to the railing to prevent port to starboard movement and to prevent lifting. It has been safe under all conditions and I have not had a problem ! And... I'm now smart enough to leave the dinghy drain plug undone when hoisted so that it does not get filled-up with rain water.
As mentioned 15 years since installed, but 20,000 miles in those 15 years, with 2 trips to Labrador, Magdalen Islands, and the Bahamas under all kinds of conditions. Not one problem ! I never have done it, but feel I could probably leave the OB on it as I have tested it by getting into it while at the dock. So far, the only real drawback is the same as davits. I have to lower it out of the way if I want to use the swim ladder. I can swing it to the side of the boat, but it gets tricky because of the bimini.
Take a look at the attached pics. I also have a few videos (filmed on the lower St.Lawrence river, under 42 knots, no main just about 40 sq. feet of jib), but can't seem to upload them.
It has proven safe under every sea conditions that I have met but I will not go so far as recommend it. I am just saying I have never had any problems doing it. Your boat your decision !
Be aware that several years ago it triggered quite a discussion on this site. It may still be in the archives.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Unfortunately the photos are far too small, at least on my computer, to see how you have rigged the halyard and dinghy. :(

Jan 11, 2014
Hi Dave, hoping this gives you a better idea.
Thank you. So long as the halyard is strong enough and the lead from the mast head is fair, then it can easily support the weight of a dry dinghy.

The OP wasn't clear if it was a second main halyard or a spare jib or spin halyard or a topping lift, thus the cautionary words.

Oct 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Sunrise Shore Marina
Hi Claude,

I am very interested in your setup for the dinghy. This looks like it could be a great option to explore. Do you have any issues with wear on the inflatable? Also, how big is the outboard that you have mounted on the stern rail?

Dec 14, 2003
Thank you. So long as the halyard is strong enough and the lead from the mast head is fair, then it can easily support the weight of a dry dinghy.

The OP wasn't clear if it was a second main halyard or a spare jib or spin halyard or a topping lift, thus the cautionary words.
Halyard is 7/16 so strong enough ! And I'm now smart enough to leave the plug in the stern open so that very little rain water collects in it. As for the OP, you're right that it wasn't clear. I totally agree that it shouldn't be done with spare jib or spinnaker halyards brought back towards the stern. Chafing would be a real concern to me.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2003
Hi Claude,

I am very interested in your setup for the dinghy. This looks like it could be a great option to explore. Do you have any issues with wear on the inflatable? Also, how big is the outboard that you have mounted on the stern rail?
Hi Rick. No noticeable wear on the dinghy. It is supported by a sling under the bow going from port D-ring to starboard D-ring. Bow and stern are also attached to the stern railing to prevent movement left and right and to prevent lifting. The outboard is an old Johnson 2-stroke 7.5HP. Had it since 1981 when the kids were young and it knew of only 2 speeds, i.e. flat out or dead stopped LOL. Still going good. Amazing that it lasted that long. Now looking for a 3rd dinghy to use it on. The first 2 lasted 20 years each.

Oct 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Sunrise Shore Marina
Hi Claude,
I read through your sailing trips this evening. Lots of miles and some great experiences. This is the first time I have heard it mentioned about hoisting a dinghy on a halyard. We purchased our H34 about this time last year. The boat had come from Quebec spring of 2020. We were able to get in one cruise to the Bra Dors lakes this summer. We stowed our 10 foot dinghy on deck for the passage to Cape Breton and back, towing it while in the lakes. I found that it was cumbersome on deck and often snagged the sheets. Our outboard was a powerful 2 Hp Evinrude. I thought our 15 Hp Mercury was too heavy for the stern rail. I have since sold both outboards and Zodiac, and replaced it with a 8 foot Zodiac and 6 Hp Mariner. I hope to try your idea next summer. Thanks for the great input and if your travels ever bring you east again, look us up.